iPad as a netbook/travelling laptop?

CarlieE

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone could offer perspectives on this. I have a netbook and a full size laptop right now, but am thinking of retiring the netbook in favor of an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard. Right now I use the netbook to take with me to classes, to do work in the library or out at the local cafe. I also use it to travel overseas since it's smaller and lighter, easier to pull out during security check points etc.

But I can't annotate PDFs on it and since I'm trying to get most of my readings electronically this way now, I am attracted to the idea of using an iPad. There've been really good reviews about apps that let you annotate PDFs and also handwriting apps for note-taking in class.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Or can offer ideas on why this might be a good idea or a bad idea?

How are the word type apps on the iPad for typing out papers (for just a few hours work)? Since there's no USB port is this a serious hindrance? (I don't think there's a USB port for a flash drive... right?)

I got an iPad after I was finished with classes. Like you, I had a netbook when I was in class, but I wish I had had the iPad + keyboard. Much lighter and more portable, more versatile, and yes, you can highlight and annotate PDFs. I use GoodReader, which is probably the best $10 I've ever spent. When I highlight and annotate on my computer using Adobe Professional, the changes show up in GoodReader, and I can add notes and underline and everything. I can also sync it with Dropbox, which is how I keep my articles synced between my computer and my iPad.

A USB port would be nice, or even an SD card. But there are so many programs that allow you to use cloud storage. iCloud comes with 5 GB already. Personally, I prefer Dropbox, which allows me to have folders directly on my computer and automatically syncs everything up. I also use an app called CloudOn, which allows me to start Word documents on my iPad and save them into Dropbox. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for short tasks (although I wouldn't type on the iPad for hours - but if you do plan to do that, I suggest investing in the Apple bluetooth keyboard or a folding keyboard that's close to full-sized. I have the ZaggFolio and while it seemed an amazing idea at the time, the case is really bulky and the keyboard is too cramped to do anything for any long period of time). I use Evernote to take notes and sync them across my computer and my iPad.

I got my iPad the first day the new ones came out. It has been my main take-to-school computer.

For pdf reading, I use GoodNotes. I can highlight, write, or type on any page, in the margins or on the text. I can also add blank (or lined or graph) pages in the document for more notes. It has a nice looking bookshelf.

For in class notes, I use Notability. I can handwrite my notes, type them, or speak them. I find handwriting to be the quickest. I have a Bamboo stylus that I love. With Notability, I can also hit the record button and record the professor so if I miss something, I can listen a second time. It has many pen colors and widths, as well as a range of highlighters. I can also take pictures or import images directly into a page. It is a really sweet app.

For writing papers, I love IAWriter. Smooth, clean, simple. I do not write full papers with my ipad though, just chunks of it and then move to Word. I have a Onlive, which is a fully functioning Microsoft Office tool, which was free.

Ask me any other questions. I love my ipad. :)

I got my iPad the first day the new ones came out. It has been my main take-to-school computer.

For pdf reading, I use GoodNotes. I can highlight, write, or type on any page, in the margins or on the text. I can also add blank (or lined or graph) pages in the document for more notes. It has a nice looking bookshelf.

For in class notes, I use Notability. I can handwrite my notes, type them, or speak them. I find handwriting to be the quickest. I have a Bamboo stylus that I love. With Notability, I can also hit the record button and record the professor so if I miss something, I can listen a second time. It has many pen colors and widths, as well as a range of highlighters. I can also take pictures or import images directly into a page. It is a really sweet app.

For writing papers, I love IAWriter. Smooth, clean, simple. I do not write full papers with my ipad though, just chunks of it and then move to Word. I have a Onlive, which is a fully functioning Microsoft Office tool, which was free.

Notability looks like a very exciting app. I wonder if you know of an app that allows you to handwrite to enter typed text?

Is there anything that the iPad cannot do!?!? :D

I use my iPad for reading papers and taking notes in classes and meetings, as well as watching movies and playing games on flights. It's been my only electronic device at a number of recent conferences and short trips, and it's been great! I wouldn't want to write anything serious on it, though, that wouldn't be very convenient. I like to have multiple screens and a real keyboard when I write papers.

And I'm sold. :)

What about working on a paper with complex features like citations, auto-numbered, tables, figures, table of contents, etc.?

Also, has anyone used the iPad for a math/physics course with a lot of equations? From my limited experience the iPad's capacitive screen is too clunky and insensitive for something like this, especially compared to pen + paper and scanning it in.

I don't write full papers on it, I can't use zotero, and I too like to have many windows at once when writing. However, I will write entire pieces of a paper on it and then save to dropbox or email it to myself and finish on the laptop. I am not in math and science, so I can't speak to that.

I will share some more of my favorite apps.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/listomatic/id507098896?mt=8

I love this one because it has a very simple display and I can add photos, so I put pretty pictures as a kind of a reward and incentive to check my to-do list :)

Health Habits. I snagged this one when it was free one day. In grad school, it is so easy to let things like exercise and flossing falll by the wayside, so this is an easy way to stay on track/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/healthy-habits-premium-health/id436854069?mt=8

Speaking of which-Calorie Counter. Track food and exercise. And it scans barcodes and saves meals. awesome program

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calorie-counter-by-fatsecret/id364140848?mt=8

I love Paper so much. I can create beautiful pictures while listening to a lecture :)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paper-by-fiftythree/id506003812?mt=8

Nightstand. Best alarm clock ever

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nightstand-central-for-ipad/id392480771?mt=8

Apps Gone Free. Every morning, the best free apps. Bargain hunting!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appsgonefree/id470693788?mt=8

Extreme Agenda is my calendar. It syncs with ical and google calendars, and I can add cute icons.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/extreme-agenda-calendar-contacts/id397983960?mt=8

OfficeTime Lite.

I use this to clock time, whether it is writing a paper, grading, or working on my thesis. Makes me see my producitivity. And cry a little when my hourly billing rate is $0

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/officetime-time-expense-tracking/id446200101?mt=8

WeatherHD. Most beautiful weather forecaster ever. however, it is a space hog. I have a 16 gb, so I downloaded Weather Live, which does the trick as well.

SkyGrid and Flud are amazing news apps.

Fotopedia, Smithsonian, Audobon, and 500px are gorgeous and make you happy about the iPad's amazing resolution/

More later. I promise I DO NOT work for Apple. :) I was totally overwhelmed with choices when I first got mine, so maybe this will help people navigate