Recommendation Letters - Post-Acceptance Dilemma

canteaus

Last month, I was accepted into my dream grad program.

I had two close professors who worked very closely with me on my application (writing letters, contacting the department..etc etc); they went above-and-beyond what professors are normally expected to do for their students and I am extremely grateful.

However, now, I need more recommendation letters for scholarship/TA/grant/job applications!

How am I supposed to ask my professors to write me a letter for EVERY application I apply for? I feel extremely bad.

Also, I'm not even on campus anymore. So now, they have to TYPE, PRINT, SEAL, and MAIL the letters for me...sigh..

Is this the world of profession-academics that I am not yet familiar with? Any suggestions? Thanks

Yeah, I hate repeatedly asking for favors, but I think it's part of the territory.

FWIW, I asked the same people to do letters for a scholarship, because I figured it was less over-all work for them to re-work a letter they already wrote than to ask someone who would be a "second string" reference to write one from scratch.

More applications have the option (or requirement) of uploading a PDF, so the long distance thing isn't so bad. With your profs being as gracious as they are, I think they'd be happy to help you with more things.

There are ways to show that you don't take their efforts for granted, even if you do ask them for a lot of favors. It's all stuff you've heard, I'm sure: Give references at least two weeks to write the letter, so that they're not rushed. Make sure to write a thank-you email for each letter, and a real snail-mail thank-you card at some point. Send them follow-up emails with updates -- at least with positive ones. I also try to periodically touch base with the prof I worked for as undergrad, just so I know that there's been SOME communication in between asking for references. I don't know if it matters to him, but I feel better about it. (I graduated in 2007, but he's still my best academic reference... thankfully he's a really kind, helpful guy.)

I agree with SeriousSillyPutty, especially when it comes to thanking them and following up. I'd also like to add that this is part of a prof's job - just one of the many administrative duties they carry out each year. You're not being a burden.

I've asked the same prof to write me letters for undergraduate research fellowships, MSc applications, MSc fellowships, PhD applications, and PhD scholarships/fellowships. I haven't actually worked with him since 2008, I haven't been in the same city as him since 2010, and my last request to him was early this year. I was worried about the same thing but he assures me that it's part of his job and he is happy to help.

It's not THAT much of a burden to them if you do what SeriousSillyPutty said -- basically, just don't rush them (OMG I need a letter TOMORROW!!!1!!!) and show that you appreciate their time. I usually like to give them a heads up 2-4 weeks in advance, especially if you know you will be asking them for several letters and then send the actual request/reminder about 2 weeks before. In my "heads up" email, I usually ask if they need me to do anything to help them -- for example if they are going to be away soon and would prefer the request sent a month in advance. I also ALWAYS attach an updated CV and if possible, the contents of my actual application (since they always ask for that).

I also make sure to clearly provide any information about me that they will need to fill out on the form (even if it's obvious stuff that they might have on file, like my full name, student number, program I am in / applying to etc.) If it's an electronic reference, it should be super simple -- they would likely have an old letter for me on file and just copy/paste, do a few edits, and submit. If they have to snail mail it in, I also try to send them a pre-addressed, stamped envelope along with the forms they need to fill out so they can just complete the form, put in envelope and send it away.

Finally, if you are applying to grad schools and will need like 5+ letters from the same people, I made a one-page summary sheet with pertinent info about me at the top (GPA, GRE scores, research interests summarized in a few sentences) and then a list of schools/programs I'm applying to, deadlines, faculty at the school I'm interested in, and anything special about the application (snail mail required? letterhead? etc.)

If they were willing to work closely on your application the first time around, I'm pretty sure they'll be glad to help you out this time too. As SeriousSillyPutty said, as long as you give them enough notice, they'll be ok with it.

I had to not only add extra schools to the letters I'd requested from my referees, but essentially ask them to do them over their references because I decided to apply to Masters programmes instead of PhD ones. They were really nice about it, and pretty accommodating.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

SeriousSillyPutty gave some good advice -- I would just add that it most likely DOES matter to profs that students they write letters for stay in touch. And it's sort of part of the job -- no one HAS to agree to write a letter for a former student -- so whatever you do, don't come across sounding as though you think you are entitled to a letter (don't worry, I'm not getting that impression from you!). It is extra work that most teachers are willing to do for students they enjoyed having in class. Be thankful that they are willing to act as references for you (essentially putting their credibility on the line) and act accordingly.

One thing you can do when you are not on campus and need to have letters written is send a packet with already addressed and stamped envelopes and any forms they need to fill out. Just send it to them in a big manila envelope and so all they have to do is fill it out or write a letter and everything else is taken care of. I hate asking for letters of recommendations but I sent everything already prepared so I figured it would only take them 5 minutes to send it.

None of my professors have ever complained about having to write multiple letters. They usually just copy and paste and edit the old letter into a new one anyways. Now in high school, that was when I was asking my teachers for an ungodly amount of letters. They obliged.