Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Here'sHopin'--I think what's strange is that for some of us, the odds for this first round aren't actually against us necessarily (or at least not badly against us). If our school's admittance rate is roughly 30% and they take about twice as many for the first round as there are spots, supposedly 60% of us will pass the first round (for an "average" country).

I think along those lines though, what's even stranger, is that I cannot visualize myself getting a congratulatory email for the first round and can very vividly imagine opening up a rejection--even though I have some pretty crazy affiliation letters and, according to my FPA, a strong project (which I would imagine would imply that I'm likely in the top 60% of my school...). Obviously there are a lot of factors involved and the process isn't all that transparent, but still...

It felt like just yesterday I was cruising through the posts and still figuring out my essays. Now, the time has come... and I flinch every time I open my email because I imagine the name "Fulbright" poping up.

Yeah, this morning I imagined the same thing upon waking up. 

I think along those lines though, what's even stranger, is that I cannot visualize myself getting a congratulatory email for the first round and can very vividly imagine opening up a rejection--even though I have some pretty crazy affiliation letters and, according to my FPA, a strong project (which I would imagine would imply that I'm likely in the top 60% of my school...). Obviously there are a lot of factors involved and the process isn't all that transparent, but still...

Exactly, it's strange. The applicant could have wonderful letters and essays, but the problem may ultimately lie in the interest/need for the project. 

Is the timeline being discussed applicable to traditional fulbright awards? The Canadian website suggests that first-round notifications go out in early Feb. Am I missing something? :S (source: http://www.fulbright.ca/programs/canadian-students/traditional-awards/the-application-process-traditional-fulbright-student-awards.html)

Is the timeline being discussed applicable to traditional fulbright awards? The Canadian website suggests that first-round notifications go out in early Feb. Am I missing something? :S (source: http://www.fulbright.ca/programs/canadian-students/traditional-awards/the-application-process-traditional-fulbright-student-awards.html)

The general Fulbright website says by January 31st. Last year full grants got emails on the 19th and ETAs on the 20th. From what we have heard.

The general Fulbright website says by January 31st. Last year full grants got emails on the 19th and ETAs on the 20th. From what we have heard.

Ah I understand - what's more, it looks like deadlines are different for scholars applying from other countries. I am a Canadian student applying to do work in the US. 

Thanks for the clarification and best of luck! 

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL THIS MORNING!

I made it to the second round!!! 

Congrats!!

What time? And what was the email address that sent it to you/ the subject line? I'm trying to determine if it was the U.S. Fulbright people or the Finland Fulbright group.

Sometimes the country you are applying to sends out notifications separate from the U.S, office, and sometimes different countries work differently, so that may explain why you have gotten one and others haven't.

Congrats again!

Congrats!!

What time? And what was the email address that sent it to you/ the subject line? I'm trying to determine if it was the U.S. Fulbright people or the Finland Fulbright group.

Sometimes the country you are applying to sends out notifications separate from the U.S, office, and sometimes different countries work differently, so that may explain why you have gotten one and others haven't.

Congrats again!

I got it at 9 am EST. It was sent by the Finland group -- haven't heard from the US group yet. Thanks!

I got it at 9 am EST. It was sent by the Finland group -- haven't heard from the US group yet. Thanks!

Thanks!!! That explains it!

I will continue to (try) to wait patiently until (hopefully) tomorrow then. I don't think Luxembourg or Ireland has a history of sending notices out earlier than the US office.

Glad you had this part of the wait end on a happy note!

I am hoping that Finland sending out notices is a good omen about the next 48 hours!

Yeah...about waiting patiently... That's not happening. I'm refreshing my email over and over.

Edited by Here'sHopin'!

Sorry to disappoint, but I spoke to Walter from the national office a few days ago and they said we will find out between the 20th and the 26th. I suppose abelian is an exception because the notification came from Finland rather than the US headquarters.

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL THIS MORNING!

I made it to the second round!!! 

LITERALLY HEART ATTACKS ALL DAY EVERY DAY. CAN I GET AN AMEN.

With that news, maximum AMEN. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

PS. congrats abelian!

That's interesting. I thought that just the FPAs and the applicants receive notification. 

I remember reading that last year, for the final notifications, Germany sent them out before anyone else. A lot of people on the forum didn't believe that the recipient was even telling the truth.

And yes, at this stage, I thought we've heard that the country does not know anything, and that it was only at the second stage that they know. Perhaps the country took it upon themselves to notify people that they received their applications and will now begin reviewing them themselves.

There you are, legallyproper! You found out via FPA that notifications were being sent out the following day, did you not? Any chance your FPA may be able to know when we're about to hear this time? Just wondering! I dont know exactly if that is accurate or not- i thought thst was the case, but Im not longer stressed enough to try and go back through last year's posts again.

Hmm I didn't realize that my husband and I could get notifications on different days. That could be interesting!

She usually sends us an email when she's been contacted by Fulbright, when she sends it I'll post here ASAP!

You are under the Canadian Students section and not the American Students section. :)