Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Apologies for the ignorance on my part, but this project sounds interesting, and I'd be curious to know how you're thinking about executing it. If you're trying to demonstrate a correlative effect, I'd assume you'd be using statistics?

It seems as though the available data sets would be very limiting (perhaps some measure of "severe weather events" and non-communicable disease rates among different subgroups of the population? I assume you've ruled out changes in global temperature since it has been stagnant/declining for the past 15 years or so, and you mentioned the rates of non-communicable disease are rising). If we're operating under the assumption that rates of these non-communicable diseases are increasing (possibly namely due to easier access to foods and/or worsening consumer behaviors), and we assume that measures of climate change are increasing (frankly whether it's due to natural climate change, human aggravated climate change, or selective usage of data), then I can imagine demonstrating a statistically significant correlation based on a basic linear model with a small set of variables.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know where you'd take it from there; it seems as though the correlation would disappear with the inclusion of other factors, and that even if there is a correlation, it might be a vacuous result without additional context. Sorry for the follow-up questions and the stream-of-consciousness post, but the topic(s) seem interesting.

I intend to demonstrate correlation under the parameters you mentioned - easier access to nutrient poor foods, less access to indigenous food sources, consumer behavior, and increased severe weather events (periods of drought, flooding, etc.). Like you said it's hard to use global temp, however ocean temps have been increasing and are expected to continue to increase - leading to further acidification of the reefs surrounding the pacific islands, which affects mostly the on-shore fishing industry(which stays on the islands basically). The off-shore fishing industry (which is exported) is affected mostly by cyclical weather patterns such as el niño, la niña, so I'm not going into that.   The majority of my project actually looks at cultural practices and adaptation, and is mostly qualitative. Lots of surveys and interviews with industry representatives and highland and lowland communities on a subset of 5 island groups that I chose based on input from the Fiji Ministry of Health.  It shouldn't be terribly difficult to demonstrate there are linked problems - the goal of the project is mostly to tap into the way that communities that have been forced to adapt are doing so (or aren't), and possibly project some rates at which the health care system will be further over-burdened in the future and identify and communicate more widely culturally appropriate and feasible ways to help communities adapt to the changes in their environment in a healthier way. 

I should note I'm not a climatologist - I'm an epidemiologist, but I'm working with some excellent climate people at USP. 

There are a number of reports that touch on this and its many factors - if you're interested message me your email and I'd be happy to link them to you. I've been working in Australia on this and with a few groups in the Pacific, so they send me stuff on a regular basis. 

So glad to hear you find it interesting!! I could talk about it forever, haha. 

Edited by southpacific

I just got a call from my school's phone bank that asks alums for money; I thought it was going to be my FPA or someone in the office...my school can forget about contributions from me for about the next 10 years...

Lol I received a message from my university a few months ago. I graduated May 2012. I called them right back and left a voicemail saying how much I loved my school but do not want any calls regarding contributions as I have loans to pay! lol haven't heard from them since. I think you should do the same. They will at the very least mark down what you said (whoever pulls your name next will be much less likely to call).

I have a feeling it might be released tomorrow, Thursday, even though they said Friday in the email.

I am hoping this too. The letter forwarded directly from Fulbright to the FPA said "by" the end of the day Friday, not "on" Friday.

...Not that I'm putting any money on that. Just hoping.

Hey, 

My proposal looks at the relationships between rising rates of non-communicable disease (namely diabetes and cardiovascular disease) and climate change.  Yours?

Good luck to you too. 

Your project sounds cool, epidemiology is very interesting. My project is isolating chemicals with biomedical potential from marine organisms, working with the USP drug discovery unit. I hope we both can end up in Fiji.. it'd be amazing to get the fulbright grant and even better to have a fellow fulbrighter there too.

My FPA just sent me an email saying:

"I know the waiting is terrible. Keep us posted!"

WHAT IN THE WORLD SHOULD I INTERPRET FROM THAT?

PANIC MODE IGNITED

... and the FPAs already know. That's not very insightful. He/she is checking to see if you still have a pulse. 

Edited by Books2readme

My FPA just sent me an email saying:

"I know the waiting is terrible. Keep us posted!"

WHAT IN THE WORLD SHOULD I INTERPRET FROM THAT?

PANIC MODE IGNITED

That makes it sound like it really doesn't have to be Friday- I interpret that to mean that the FPA's think it could be anytime now.

I guess once they're already informed, it's just a matter of having time to send us all the emails...

That makes it sound like it really doesn't have to be Friday- I interpret that to mean that the FPA's think it could be anytime now.

I guess once they're already informed, it's just a matter of having time to send us all the emails...

Im pretty sure that means that they know the emails are coming. Also, they know who is a finalist and who is not at their school. 

I am trying to finish up a different fellowship application, lab work and writing my thesis proposal. I am too distracted to do anything!

... and the FPAs already know. That's not very insightful. He/she is checking to see if you still have a pulse. 

You think so?! Why do they do that?! My FPA and the entire office never sends me anything!!!

Im pretty sure that means that they know the emails are coming. Also, they know who is a finalist and who is not at their school. 

I am trying to finish up a different fellowship application, lab work and writing my thesis proposal. I am too distracted to do anything!

I'm finishing up my White House Internship application and starting a new fellowship application, and in graduate school plus reading for my thesis and writing my proposal do which is due next Wednesday so I know the feeling.

I haven't had any communication from my FPA since October- I think it really just depends on your school!

That said, I'm a UK applicant and I am FLIPPING OUT. I'm actually almost to the point where I'm like "send me the rejection already!"

Trying to breathe, haha.