Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hey all,

My name is Eli Kramer and I'm a finalist for a full grant to Finland to study their education system. Has anyone heard any news for better or worse about their Finnish grants?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Best Regards,

Eli

Hey Eli -- fellow Finland hopeful here! Unfortunately, I haven't heard a peep since finding out I was a finalist, nearly two months ago. It looks like in the past few years, Finland applicants have heard back in the last week of March/first week of April. But with the news of some responses coming in earlier this year, I wouldn't rule out hearing back any time at all. Good luck to you!

Welcome to all the longtime lurkers coming out of the woodworks! Does anyone else feel like they're living in shrodinger's box? I have two clear life paths right now, and im sort of half-planning for both. that one email is going to instantly direct it one way or the other. Too nerdy of a reference?

No, right there with you! Wouldn't have thought of that analogy, but now that you mention it, it seems pretty apt!

Meow!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

I want to have patience, but yeah, that is gone.   I have no clue as to when they might decide, but I am torn as to whether or not that is a good or a bad thing.
Take your mind off it for a bit! What did you propose? Also you mentioned you might run for office at home, what position?

No, right there with you! Wouldn't have thought of that analogy, but now that you mention it, it seems pretty apt!

Meow!

I'm an engineer. There is no such thing as too nerdy =p

Take your mind off it for a bit! What did you propose? Also you mentioned you might run for office at home, what position?

My research is about online voting and voter motivation. There will be two elections in Estonia during the duration of the grant (Sep-June). So the timing is ideal. Estonia has been using online voting since 2007 and it has been growing in popularity. I worked on a congressional campaign here in OK. So, voter participation is a topic near to my heart.

I was asked to run for chair of my county party. It sounds kind of lame, but that is where politics begins here. I also got asked to work on a local campaign here doing volunteer coordination. So, I have opportunities, but it's really hard to commit, you know.

Welcome to all the longtime lurkers coming out of the woodworks!

Does anyone else feel like they're living in shrodinger's box? I have two clear life paths right now, and im sort of half-planning for both. that one email is going to instantly direct it one way or the other. Too nerdy of a reference?

Lolz. Seeing as I currently am doing physical chemistry research, I thoroughly enjoyed that analogy. It seems as though we will have to wait at least until tomorrow to find out if our metaphorical cat is dead or alive. But given my anxiety level, I'm not thoroughly unconvinced that it got out and gave me rabies...

Edited by IchBinIch

My research is about online voting and voter motivation. There will be two elections in Estonia during the duration of the grant (Sep-June). So the timing is ideal. Estonia has been using online voting since 2007 and it has been growing in popularity. I worked on a congressional campaign here in OK. So, voter participation is a topic near to my heart.

I was asked to run for chair of my county party. It sounds kind of lame, but that is where politics begins here. I also got asked to work on a local campaign here doing volunteer coordination. So, I have opportunities, but it's really hard to commit, you know.

That doesn't sound lame at all - you definitely have to start somewhere!

That doesn't sound lame at all - you definitely have to start somewhere!

Thanks! Not to get too political, but it's not easy being a Democrat in Oklahoma. So, really, it all begins at the county party level. The one democrat in my area is a state rep and he is not eligible for reelction in two years because of term limits, and we would certainly hate to lose the seat.

My research is about online voting and voter motivation. There will be two elections in Estonia during the duration of the grant (Sep-June). So the timing is ideal. Estonia has been using online voting since 2007 and it has been growing in popularity. I worked on a congressional campaign here in OK. So, voter participation is a topic near to my heart.   I was asked to run for chair of my county party. It sounds kind of lame, but that is where politics begins here. I also got asked to work on a local campaign here doing volunteer coordination. So, I have opportunities, but it's really hard to commit, you know.
That sounds like a really big deal actually! Do you mind if I ask what party? Was it hard to leave politics out of the application (or did you)?

Thanks! Not to get too political, but it's not easy being a Democrat in Oklahoma. So, really, it all begins at the county party level. The one democrat in my area is a state rep and he is not eligible for reelction in two years because of term limits, and we would certainly hate to lose the seat.

hahahahahhaha. No. Um. I can't imagine being a Democrat in Oklahoma would be easy, so kudos to you! I don't mean that to come across the wrong way - that would be hella tough and I admire your dedication!! Always glad to hear of a fellow democrat in a predominantly red state :) Edited by there'sanappforthat

That sounds like a really big deal actually! Do you mind if I ask what party? Was it hard to leave politics out of the application (or did you)?

I included my campaign work on the campaign. We were on the front lines getting people registered to vote and then following up with them on election day. So, my work on the campaign, I felt, showed my knowledge of the realities of voter participation. Oklahoma is one of those states with the voter ID laws, so we were checking to make sure the polls were applying the law correctly and not turning people away; especially in key precincts. But, I didn't put what party I was with; or who my candidate was.

Losing the election was tough. But, I am a Democrat in an all red state. The district was hand drawn by the incumbent who got beat by the tea-party. He is wishing he hadn't drawn it that way...now.

Let's all send good vibes to the committee members working hard at reviewing the applications and making some tough decisions right now! I sure am grateful for this opportunity  :)

Indeed!

For me, making the first cut is a big deal. I was one of those who had my family first; then finished college and am looking at a career. So, I have one son in college, one in high school and I am looking at finally beginning a career at the ripe old age of 40. I am very grateful to have made it this far.

hahahahahhaha. No. Um. I can't imagine being a Democrat in Oklahoma would be easy, so kudos to you! I don't mean that to come across the wrong way - that would be hella tough and I admire your dedication!! Always glad to hear of a fellow democrat in a predominantly red state :)

Thank you! We are trying to hold on here. :)  But it is like pushing rocks uphill.

Thank you! We are trying to hold on here. :) But it is like pushing rocks uphill.

Curious, have you listened to this episode of This American Life / were you familiar with the whole preschool thing? I didn't know how to feel about it because obviously these legislators were essentially tricked (they had no idea what they were passing) but they also passed something I support.. Here's the link(act 4): http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/477/getting-away-with-it

Edited by nainalerom

Curious, have you listened to this episode of This American Life / were you familiar with the whole preschool thing? I didn't know how to feel about it because obviously these legislators were essentially tricked (they had no idea what they were passing) but they also passed something I support.. Here's the link(act 4): http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/477/getting-away-with-it

I had not heard this. The sad part is the guy that beat my guy came out and said we really don't need pre-school education because it wears off by age 10. So, I immediately asked him when he was pulling his kid out of preschool.

love This American Life! well...I kinda just got into it...but love it all the same :)

Geaux Tigers! I was in Baton Rouge last weekend and took in a baseball game and had dinner at Chimes.

oooh I LOVE Chimes!! sooo delicious...I have a gift card to there now that I'm saving as either a celebration or drowning my sorrows in a giant po-boy dinner :)

That was my first time eating there. It was good! I had the seafood lasagna, very rich and enough for two people. I sure miss seafood living in a land-locked state. Lol!!

I am crossing my fingers for your victory celebration!!