Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

So based on when UK people found out last year, I am thinking it will be tomorrow or Thursday, right? The 13th or the 14? This being said, interviews were way later this year....

They did say mid March so I think it's fair to say we should know by Friday at the latest. But I'd rather know today than tomorrow or Thursday.... Argh. And I'd guess between 9-5 ES5

If we keep this up, we'll make every day seem extra important. It's a waste of time... this thread blew up with at least 15 posts before there was a notification for the Austria Fulbrighter.

I see 20 notifications about new posts, and the majority of the conversations are "I hope today is the day..." like every day. I'm not a very patient guy, but waiting patiently is the most sensible thing to do in my opinion.  

Wouldn't it be nice if one could just flip a switch and turn off anxiety?

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that so many FPA's have been saying that annoucements will be earlier this year, so we don't have a lot to go by. It really could be any day.

Speaking for myself, I don't have a lot going on at the moment. I'm not in school, so I don't have a lot to distract myself from my anxiety. I don't have any papers to write or any tests to study for. I sit in a cubicle all day, trying to focus on my work.

If you don't like seeing the forum blow up with random snippets of conversation, I'm sure you could turn off your notifcitions. I do not receive email notifications for new posts, so you should be able to turn it off as well. Some people just need that feeling of camraderie, and far be it from me to take that from them.

Wouldn't it be nice if one could just flip a switch and turn off anxiety?

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that so many FPA's have been saying that annoucements will be earlier this year, so we don't have a lot to go by. It really could be any day.

Speaking for myself, I don't have a lot going on at the moment. I'm not in school, so I don't have a lot to distract myself from my anxiety. I don't have any papers to write or any tests to study for. I sit in a cubicle all day, trying to focus on my work.

If you don't like seeing the forum blow up with random snippets of conversation, I'm sure you could turn off your notifcitions. I do not receive email notifications for new posts, so you should be able to turn it off as well. Some people just need that feeling of camraderie, and far be it from me to take that from them.

Part of why I lurk is that I don't know anybody else applying for fellowships, and it's nice to feel like somebody can understand and relate. If I bring it up to my friends, they either tell me 'oh, you'll totally get it' and don't understand my realistic chances, or they just ask me what I'm doing next year, which I don't know yet. Plus, if I miss an email, I can tell right away if I should also check or just wasn't selected.

Also, downside of being in school- stressful papers/finals/assignments makes you freak out about everything even more because everything is stressful all the bloody time....

I just want to know, dang it!

Edited by Anon314

Part of why I lurk is that I don't know anybody else applying for fellowships, and it's nice to feel like somebody can understand and relate. If I bring it up to my friends, they either tell me 'oh, you'll totally get it' and don't understand my realistic chances, or they just ask me what I'm doing next year, which I don't know yet. Plus, if I miss an email, I can tell right away if I should also check or just wasn't selected.

Also, downside of being in school- stressful papers/finals/assignments makes you freak out about everything even more because everything is stressful all the bloody time....

I hear you! The waiting is awful. I have opportunities that keep coming up and I have to keep telling them I can't make a decision at the moment. My sources in country have also been silent. So, my stream of intel has ended. I do find it comforting that others are struggling too. Just when I think I have pushed it out of my mind, someone will ask me about it.

I hear you! The waiting is awful. I have opportunities that keep coming up and I have to keep telling them I can't make a decision at the moment. My sources in country have also been silent. So, my stream of intel has ended. I do find it comforting that others are struggling too. Just when I think I have pushed it out of my mind, someone will ask me about it.

Also, not going to lie- I just looked up every past notification date for Fulbright in the UK, and it's been on a Monday-Wednesday the past few years, which is making me panic more... =P

http://newsletter.blogs.wesleyan.edu/2013/03/11/tuckerfulbright/

this might be a false alarm but looks like at least some Fulbright UK programs is starting to hear... 

Gah crap crap sinking feeling in my stomach because it looks like people who were selected were notified first.... To confirm, nobody else has heard?

The scholar selection is somewhat independent of the student selection. If im not mistaken most of us here applied to the student program. Don't worry!

The Fulbright Scholar awards went out for my country a week ago, but they definitely didn't announce any ETAs or Full Grant Fulbrights. (They usually don't until late March, early April) So I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Just got an email from IIE Beijing with paperwork to fill out for my *potential* host institution. 

"

Your proposed host institution participates in the Chinese Government Scholarship Program (CGS).  Under the agreement with the Chinese Ministry of Education that governs the Fulbright program in China, the Fulbright Program is able to nominate a certain number of Fulbright candidates for tuition waiver scholarships under the CGS program every year...it is required that all Fulbright grant candidates who are requesting an affiliation with a host institution that participates in the CGS Program submit their affiliation applications through this channel.

"

Wow, that's like: "hey could you put *even more* time and effort into this application for a grant which you might not get?"

Thanks IIE!

Good luck!

Thanks guys-  I really really appreciate it! I can keep dreaming for now....

Hang in there! We can't give up hope yet. It's funny, there was actually a kid (I am a non-traditional student, so to me he is a kid) from my university who applied for Estonia also. I was shocked! Tiny country, mid-Western University, two applicants, craziness!

I read and post for the same reasons you do. My boyfriend is pretty convinced I'm going to get it but I'm like... "NOTHING IS CERTAIN!! I COULD TOTALLY NOT GET IT!!" He will have more to lose and less to gain than I will if I get it, so I think he is trying to prepare himself for a my year of potential absence. I can totally understand that.

I wasn't saying I'd rather be in school, (well, ok, I do miss school) because I definitely would not want to be writing papers and such. Like I said, I miss school a great deal, I just don't miss deadlines!! For anyone who even remotely enjoyed school, going from 16+ years of the same basic schedule to not quite knowing what to do with all your free time can really throw you for a loop! No one told me how hard graduating was going to be, even disregarding the stress that comes from simply trying to find a job! Anyway, I graduated a few years ago, so I've had time to adjust, but it definitely still creeps up on me!

I fear people on this forum are getting frayed. Some of that comes from winding each other up. Let's face it, realistically the vast majority of us probably have at least a month to wait. Keep that in mind.

One thing I do which helps switch off the 'omg, where is that freakin' email' is planning for 'what if I don't get it'. That pretty much shuts down a lot of the anxiety because I think, at least for me, it stems from the unknown. Planning for not getting the Fulbright is something solid which I can grasp and some of those plans cross the 'what if I get it'/'what if I don't boundary'. Like taking a stats course on a MOOC, trying to loose weight :-/, getting my digital life sorted (I mean file systems, not social media), and serious spring cleaning. All useful for both contingencies.

I keep seeing comments from people which are basically like: 'I have opportunities I can't give answers too'. Yes you can! Don't put your life in stasis, it makes the waiting worse. Take the opportunities because: 

a) any employer/school/etc.. worth associating with will completely understand that you both needed to plan for life without the Fulbright and that having received it you sure as heck are not giving it up and; 

'b) what if you don't get the award and you did not take up chances offered? will they be offered again? unlikely...

I really appreciate this forum and I am grateful to those who are watching and waiting with me. It is hellish but there is simply nothing we can do about it so we have to focus on that which we can control. Relax.

Edited by amirah

... going from 16+ years of the same basic schedule to not quite knowing what to do with all your free time can really throw you for a loop! No one told me how hard graduating was going to be, even disregarding the stress that comes from simply trying to find a job! Anyway, I graduated a few years ago, so I've had time to adjust, but it definitely still creeps up on me!

ABSOLUTELY!! So well put.

I read and post for the same reasons you do. My boyfriend is pretty convinced I'm going to get it but I'm like... "NOTHING IS CERTAIN!! I COULD TOTALLY NOT GET IT!!" He will have more to lose and less to gain than I will if I get it, so I think he is trying to prepare himself for a my year of potential absence. I can totally understand that.

I wasn't saying I'd rather be in school, (well, ok, I do miss school) because I definitely would not want to be writing papers and such. Like I said, I miss school a great deal, I just don't miss deadlines!! For anyone who even remotely enjoyed school, going from 16+ years of the same basic schedule to not quite knowing what to do with all your free time can really throw you for a loop! No one told me how hard graduating was going to be, even disregarding the stress that comes from simply trying to find a job! Anyway, I graduated a few years ago, so I've had time to adjust, but it definitely still creeps up on me!

I can't imagine being out of school for a few years before applying (given the opportunity cost of a few hundred thousand)...

From my perspective though I can't imagine a situation where I'd regret it

I have been asked to run for elected office, and I just can't do that at this point. It would be really awful for me to accept an elected or appointed position and then have to then resign. But, yes, Caffeinated, I agree with you on Spring cleaning and at least making some plans for alternative life.

I can't imagine being out of school for a few years before applying (given the opportunity cost of a few hundred thousand)...

It's weird, because I have a solid job right now for someone right out of college, and, financially, leaving this job to teach english for 10 months doesn't make a lot of sense. I think my parents especially wonder if this would be a smart move. But I just can't bring myself to care... this is what I want to do, plain and simple, and I don't really care if it's not practical. I'm too young for that kind of thinking :)

I have been asked to run for elected office, and I just can't do that at this point. It would be really awful for me to accept an elected or appointed position and then have to then resign. But, yes, Caffeinated, I agree with you on Spring cleaning and at least making some plans for alternative life.

Hey CrystalDee,

Just an FYI: my post wasn't directed at you, I don't want you to feel singled out or offended in any way! Also out user names appear in the grey/blue bar at the top of our posts :-).

This is my second time applying. The first time I applied was pretty much directly out of college. I took a year off, as had finally found a job and didn't want to bail after just accepting. Also, I moving for said job was a pretty big change.

Another thing I will add to what I said before about being prepared to deal with post graduation is that a lot of graduates think that they are going to get that perfect job straight out of college. Many are hesitant to accept anything less than their dream job. I know I was guilty of this at first. I think college students are not taught that we will still have to work from the bottom up after graduating, and will probably still have to do a lot of grunt work before we find ourselves in a position where we are truly happy. That being said, there are people who jumped straight out of college into the perfect opportunity - but that is not the norm. Granted, I'd imagine most Fulbright applicants are pretty successful people, but that doesn't mean you won't have to struggle. You might find that a few years out of college you are not at all where you thought you were going to be or want to be.

The economy is slowing healing, so you guys might have a much better experience than I did, graduating in 09' during the worst of the recession. It was pretty dire straights for me and a lot of my fellow graduates. I still know plenty of students from my graduating class that have not found a job in their field. You kind of just have to roll with the punches, take things as they come, and be willing to adjust where you thought you were going to be.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

It's weird, because I have a solid job right now for someone right out of college, and, financially, leaving this job to teach english for 10 months doesn't make a lot of sense. I think my parents especially wonder if this would be a smart move. But I just can't bring myself to care... this is what I want to do, plain and simple, and I don't really care if it's not practical. I'm too young for that kind of thinking :)

Right there with you. Although, I think it's more me that is questioning why I would want to leave a stable job more than my parents are. Also, spending a few years in this economy has made me reevaluate the utility of my degree. It's not working out all that well for me, and I'm not sure it was the best fit to begin with, so I'm thinking returning to school for something else. It's odd, because who you are as a person and what you value can greatly change from when you are a graduating highschool senior to a college senior. I was determined not to flip flop around on majors, but I'm not sure that was the right decision. Ultimately, I think the Fulbright fits into my current career goals.

I fear people on this forum are getting frayed. Some of that comes from winding each other up. Let's face it, realistically the vast majority of us probably have at least a month to wait. Keep that in mind.

One thing I do which helps switch off the 'omg, where is that freakin' email' is planning for 'what if I don't get it'. That pretty much shuts down a lot of the anxiety because I think, at least for me, it stems from the unknown. Planning for not getting the Fulbright is something solid which I can grasp and some of those plans cross the 'what if I get it'/'what if I don't boundary'. Like taking a stats course on a MOOC, trying to loose weight :-/, getting my digital life sorted (I mean file systems, not social media), and serious spring cleaning. All useful for both contingencies.

I keep seeing comments from people which are basically like: 'I have opportunities I can't give answers too'. Yes you can! Don't put your life in stasis, it makes the waiting worse. Take the opportunities because: 

a) any employer/school/etc.. worth associating with will completely understand that you both needed to plan for life without the Fulbright and that having received it you sure as heck are not giving it up and; 

'B) what if you don't get the award and you did not take up chances offered? will they be offered again? unlikely...

I really appreciate this forum and I am grateful to those who are watching and waiting with me. It is hellish but there is simply nothing we can do about it so we have to focus on that which we can control. Relax.

Yeah, when the first rounds of emails were coming out, I started to get into that hyperventilating stage. After about two weeks of being continually anxious, you kind of get to the point where you have to stop and say, "Yeah, this may still be a while". It was hard to turn off that switch, but I definitely don't think I am still at that stage where I am checking my email every two minutes. I definitely don't blame anyone who is still there, but hey, if I don't make it, I will need this job, so I better make sure it will still be here for me :D