Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Convenient... I wouldn't be surprised if that's on purpose, so that she doesn't have to respond to questions like that. 

That's what I was thinking haha. Tricky. 

I was Google'ing for this thread and accidentally stumbled onto last year's (2012-2013...it's deceptive with that 2013 in the title). I saw like 15 posts of people getting accepted and furiously checked my email. Nothing. :( Then I saw a post about an alternate moving to accepted and I thought, "well, it's pretty early for alternates, right?" And then I saw the date. :D

One piece of good news: one of my friends last year applied for an ETA in Indonesia. She made it to the final review, but didn't get it because they ran out of spots. So, instead, they offerred her one to MALAYSIA! :D I don't want to give false hope, but if you're a good candidate, I think Fulbright genuinely cares about that. :D

Edited by ikjadoon

Focusing on my research is impossible. I only do well when I hide my computer somewhere. I am waiting on the Netherlands so it will probably be another 2-3 weeks. 

Has anyone reached out to Eileen O'Mailey who is the Program Manger for Europe & Eurasia (except Germany)?

eomalley@iie.org

Focusing on my research is impossible. I only do well when I hide my computer somewhere. I am waiting on the Netherlands so it will probably be another 2-3 weeks. 

Has anyone reached out to Eileen O'Mailey who is the Program Manger for Europe & Eurasia (except Germany)?

eomalley@iie.org

My FPA spoke to her assistant yesterday, so it is possible! But maybe it just has to be somebody they know/from your university.

Focusing on my research is impossible. I only do well when I hide my computer somewhere. I am waiting on the Netherlands so it will probably be another 2-3 weeks.    Has anyone reached out to Eileen O'Mailey who is the Program Manger for Europe & Eurasia (except Germany)? eomalley@iie.org
I wonder why Germany is not included with the other Europe/Euroasian countries, but with South Asia - anybody know?

I wonder why Germany is not included with the other Europe/Euroasian countries, but with South Asia - anybody know?

My guess is it just has to do with the size of the programs. Germany has a huge number of grants compared to most other countries, so it probably made sense to break it off and lump it with another region that made sense based on program sizes. I doubt it's scientific beyond wanting to evenly distribute responsibilities to program officers.

eomalley@iie.org

Eileen O'Malley is also out of the office through the end of the week.

Seriously...? On the other hand, I  hope it means decisions are released Friday. Because otherwise they're going to be getting a LOT of phone calls on Monday   :)

Noooo. I was going to call her this afternoon. Although I'm sure she would have told me what I already know: we'll hear nothing from Malta until the end of April.  :unsure:

I'm not sure if I actually believe that they are out of the office right now. They know that all of us are itching to know and probably receiving a hundred calls a day.

I'm not sure if I actually believe that they are out of the office right now. They know that all of us are itching to know and probably receiving a hundred calls a day.

Yeah, when I read that at first, all I could think was "A likely story!!"

They would have an awful lot of applicants that would be calling. I Mean, 160? ETA recipients alone.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

*Sigh

Another day of waiting. I almost wish that the previous spreadsheets wouldn't have been published. Then I would think nothing of not hearing until late March.

*Sigh

Another day of waiting. I almost wish that the previous spreadsheets wouldn't have been published. Then I would think nothing of not hearing until late March.

You think? I'd wait till 6 pm est before I give up for the day. ALthough I don't really think we will hear anything today, anyway.

I don't think we'll hear until next Friday, TBH.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

What is the purpose of calling and asking for more information? I would assume that they release information as soon as they are allowed and my understanding is that the administrative staff at IIE aren't the ones making the decisions anyway. Calling them implies you think they have the results and are keeping them to themselves, which would be pretty silly of them!

That's not to say I'm not as nervous as you all-- I saw this clip from the TV show Community the other day that expressed my feelings pretty well:

:)

You think? I'd wait till 6 pm est before I give up for the day. ALthough I don't really think we will hear anything today, anyway.

I don't think we'll hear until next Friday, TBH.

Not sure what the latest time has been for final notifications, but the past two years I received first round notification emails from the IIE at around 6/630 EST, so their work day may be later than what we've been assuming as far as the daily 3-5pm nervous anticipation.

What is the purpose of calling and asking for more information? I would assume that they release information as soon as they are allowed and my understanding is that the administrative staff at IIE aren't the ones making the decisions anyway. Calling them implies you think they have the results and are keeping them to themselves, which would be pretty silly of them!

That's not to say I'm not as nervous as you all-- I saw this clip from the TV show Community the other day that expressed my feelings pretty well:

:)

You're right - they probably aren't the ones making the final selections. I said I was mostly curious from an administrative standpoint - whether to expect the same basic timeline as last year, or whether to expect an earlier or later date. Generally, that type of information is based on experience, and the response is up to the discretion of the program manager.

Personally, I receive calls and e-mails like the one I sent everyday, and I understand the curiosity and wanting to put the mind at ease, if only for a week or two. I try to give them as best an answer as I can (a time of the month to start looking out for an e-mail, give or take a week). 

On another note, I would like to congratulate those who have been accepted and wish the best of luck to the rest (alternates, those not accepted, as well as those still waiting to hear)!

Edited by funkmastalex