Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I currently have a pretty decent job (just not what I ultimately want to be doing) right now, which I will stick with. I want to go to grad school, but that will probably wait until my boyfriend is able to go back and finish school.

Same here... I have a job as a grant writer at a nonprofit organization, so if I don't get Fulbright I'll probably just continue doing what I've been doing with this. (I graduated last year and have been working here since then). It's not what I want to do forever, but I feel pretty lucky to have a job that relates even slightly to my skills, goals and interests, when a lot of my peers can't find ANY job. :(

Same here... I have a job as a grant writer at a nonprofit organization, so if I don't get Fulbright I'll probably just continue doing what I've been doing with this. (I graduated last year and have been working here since then). It's not what I want to do forever, but I feel pretty lucky to have a job that relates even slightly to my skills, goals and interests, when a lot of my peers can't find ANY job. :(

Yeah, I feel the same way. I am very greatful to have a job, even though it really doesn't have anything to do with my degree. It pays well and has good benefits; I just don't want to stay here forever. Seeing how long it took me to find a job with good pay and benefits, though, I really probably shouldn't be so quick to walk away from it. That's neither here nor there, though, I guess.

Congrats to everyone who got the news today!!

now you guys can join me in the second phase of Le Waiting Game....hearing from your program manager!

I'm so anxious to hear where I'm placed...

Wasn't it last week?

Edit: Nevermind, I don't think so. It's all starting to blur together anyway.

*Sigh*

Hnng. Last year France and Germany sent out emails on the same day.

But.. must... not.. draw.. conclusions.

It is so hard not to!...I think we all want this process to follow some pattern or make some sort of sense, but it mostly doesn't...sigh.

As graduation and the "real world" draw nearer for many of us, what is everybody considering for back-up plans if they don't get the Fulbright? I'm looking into teaching English for a bit regardless, but I'm really not sure what my direction will be if I don't get it... Anybody else feel the same?

I am looking at some sort of teaching English program or Peace Corps at this point.  Teaching is not something I necessarily want to do longterm, but I think it would be a good interim solution before either entering a career or grad school. 

Hmmm. So it seems applicants to France were (just?) notified today....
I applied for an ETA for France and still haven't received any news. Ugh. This is so incredibly stressful. Although I'm in texas and its only 3:19. Is it possible for the announcement to come later in the day?

As graduation and the "real world" draw nearer for many of us, what is everybody considering for back-up plans if they don't get the Fulbright? I'm looking into teaching English for a bit regardless, but I'm really not sure what my direction will be if I don't get it... Anybody else feel the same?

That's a good plan. I wish I had a back up plan. I'm working part time as a research assistant right now. I might just go ahead and start studying for the GRE and apply for grad school programs. This fulbright process was/is extremely exhausting and draining. I don't think I can apply to anything else. But who knows :/ 

It is so hard not to!...I think we all want this process to follow some pattern or make some sort of sense, but it mostly doesn't...sigh.

It is indeed. I'm not sure if you have been lurking for a while or not, but so far, when we have tried to find a pattern we have been mostly wrong. Doesn't stop me, though. :B

I applied for an ETA for France and still haven't received any news. Ugh. This is so incredibly stressful. Although I'm in texas and its only 3:19. Is it possible for the announcement to come later in the day?

Sometimes the ETAs are announced later than the Full Grants. I wouldn't worry too much, yet.

Also, it looks as though notifications for the Slovak Republic (Slovakia) were sent out today.

I was a finalist for the Slovak Republic and didn't receive any email today, positive or negative.  I would be really interested to hear what the accepted candidate received...

I was a finalist for the Slovak Republic and didn't receive any email today, positive or negative.  I would be really interested to hear what the accepted candidate received...

I am in the same boatǃǃ 

If you still want to teach English, I'd suggest applying to a WorldTeach gig. It's basically the same deal as the Fulbright ETA, but, depending on country, you either get paid a smaller stipend (about $300/month versus the larger Fulbright stipend) or you have to pay/fundraise between $1000-5000 upfront to teach abroad (while getting that monthly stipend). That money covers airfare, food, and board, so it ends up being a viable option. They're a great program and do a lot of great training, so I'd look into it. 

I was just perusing the notification board & I saw that someone got named an alternate to a New Zealand Full Grant and someone got a grant to the Slovak Republic today. Congrats/Good luck you guys! Hope the rest of the people applying to the Slovak Republic hear soon as well. 

If you still want to teach English, I'd suggest applying to a WorldTeach gig. It's basically the same deal as the Fulbright ETA, but, depending on country, you either get paid a smaller stipend (about $300/month versus the larger Fulbright stipend) or you have to pay/fundraise between $1000-5000 upfront to teach abroad (while getting that monthly stipend). That money covers airfare, food, and board, so it ends up being a viable option. They're a great program and do a lot of great training, so I'd look into it. 

I have an acquaintance who just did the Tanzanian semester program and it sounds like she had an incredible, life-changing experience. You have to be careful with a lot of these "Teach English Abroad" programs out there on the net, as many are not that good or are a total rip-off. WorldTeach is a nonprofit organization and the fees they charge you purely cover the program operation costs. They arrange everything for you so it's really a good deal especially for someone who has no experience living/traveling in that country. :)

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I received notice today from Fulbright in the Slovak Republic that I have been awarded an ETA grant. The letter served as a "preliminary grant confimation" pending my acceptance and medical clearance. I also was given notice of my host institution and contact, which is in Bratislava.

Have any other finalists for an ETA in the Slovak Republic heard? I am so curious because there should be about 8 of us unless funding has completely changed.

Congrats to all who have heard and I am sending good thoughts the way of those who are still waiting!

Edited by grandepike

I received notice today from Fulbright in the Slovak Republic that I have been awarded an ETA grant. The letter served as a "preliminary grant confimation" pending my acceptance and medical clearance. I also was given notice of my host institution and contact, which is in Bratislava.

Have any other finalists for an ETA in the Slovak Republic heard? I am so curious because there should be about 8 of us unless funding has completely changed.

Congrats to all who have heard and I am sending good thoughts the way of those who are still waiting!

Yay, congratulations!!! :D

hey, i actually heard positively last thursday from my tutor-assistant lady at the secondary school where i would potentially be teaching, and she talked to me about accommodations and picking me up from the airport.. (?!) i didnt want to say anything in case it was a fluke, but i talked to my advisor at my university and he said the other person that applied to slovakia got the same thing- positive response, but no official from IIE yet. weird huh! i guess i got it, but we'll see! i havent heard anything yet today!!

Has anyone ever heard of a country not informing all finalists on the same day?  One other poster and I were ETA finalists for the Slovak Republic and didn't receive acceptances or rejections today...it doesn't seem like a great sign, but it seems odd based on other notification days

Has anyone ever heard of a country not informing all finalists on the same day?  One other poster and I were ETA finalists for the Slovak Republic and didn't receive acceptances or rejections today...it doesn't seem like a great sign, but it seems odd based on other notification day

Yikes, this is getting intense. Thanks for the info -- my fingers are crossed for you too!

While we wait, I never did ask, what are your plans for Finland? I'm looking at the transformation of the Finnish Education system through a genealogical/pragmatic historical methodology, if I get accepted (knock on wood)

hey! It was a lady who said she was designated as my 'tutor' once i get there... I will be at a secondary school in Banska Stiavnica. How about you? I havent heard anything from anyone else, but my advisor said it sounds as if i won.