Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yeah I feel like that girl on Twitter knows because of the Smith College announcement. Is that actually allowed??

I dont think so, they are supposed to wait. Ugh, if they dont do it today, I am going crazy!

I mean, why would he tell you that if he just wanted to say "oh, I'm sorry!" At least that's how I see it :)
It's better to manage expectations... I could imagine an FPA wanting to talk in person to all the candidates, including those who did not get recommended... I know my FPA has said in the past he recognizes what a trying process this is, and I can literally see them making calls to everyone for mental health reasons.

It's better to manage expectations... I could imagine an FPA wanting to talk in person to all the candidates, including those who did not get recommended... I know my FPA has said in the past he recognizes what a trying process this is, and I can literally see them making calls to everyone for mental health reasons.

"Mental health reasons." Lol, I need one of those calls right about now!

Looks like Smith has posted their list of Fulbright finalists. WTF!

http://smith.edu/fulbright/news.php

I had a classmate in Shanghai who went to Smith, and she said they train their students since their first year of university for a Fulbright. I can't believe 30/42 students got into the finals. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right.

I had a classmate in Shanghai who went to Smith, and she said they train their students since their first year of university for a Fulbright. I can't believe 30/42 students got into the finals. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right.

Well shit, with that much prepping, I'd say. I'd hate to be one of the few from smith that didn't make it..

Well shit, with that much prepping, I'd say. I'd hate to be one of the few from smith that didn't make it..

With prepping for the Fulbright for four years their resumes and experiences must be amazing anyways. I'm sure they'll be very successful young women even without a Fulbright.

With prepping for the Fulbright for four years their resumes and experiences must be amazing anyways. I'm sure they'll be very successful young women even without a Fulbright.

For the record, there are men at Smith now, and a few of them are Fulbright finalists :)  

Edited by ironicsans

So I politely pestered my FPA today and basically confirmed that I was recommended which is exciting (!!!) but I want the damn email already to feel like it's official! And for the record I'm in the same boat as those who haven't spoken with their FPA since October. Hard to keep in touch when I'm working full time in another city...

Hmm, one of the recommended students from Smith also applied to Ireland for Language and Literature... doesn't seem like a good sign for me. 

Ooh.. Yah. You think that was the masters full, the regular full, or the Irish language full...? Hmm...may be sad for both of us

So I politely pestered my FPA today and basically confirmed that I was recommended which is exciting (!!!) but I want the damn email already to feel like it's official! And for the record I'm in the same boat as those who haven't spoken with their FPA since October. Hard to keep in touch when I'm working full time in another city...

My FPA wont tell me! 

Same here, I'm four hours way from my alma mater.

My FPA always forgets this..  

I'm not a student!! I work full time!! I can't just pop in whenever!!

Congratulations (tentatively). I can't imagine the news in the e-mail being different from what the PFA said.

Same here, I'm four hours way from my alma mater.

My FPA always forgets this..  

I'm not a student!! I work full time!! I can't just pop in whenever!!

Well, I emailed her the other day. I wont ask outright. I dont actually think they are supposed to be telling us.

This is driving crazy knowing other people know...cuz I know it HAS to be coming soon.

Ya. It actually makes me very upset. How is that ok to release it so early without anyone else knowing? Boo on them for making us all more anxious!

So I got an e-mail from my proposed mentor the other day. He said we was contacted by a Fulbright officer asking about things like would he help me find housing / give me time to explore the country. I'm assuming this is a good sign, but do you guys think it means I'm a finalist? I still haven't heard about my status, and I applied at-large so I have no FPA to hassle.