Major Research Paper vs Thesis

Hank Scorpio

The MA program I'm starting this year offers two paths: writing a 50-ish-page major research paper (a path that requires an additional 7 courses), or writing a 100-ish-page thesis (that requires only 5 courses). Since I plan on going on to do a PhD, the path I obviously want to choose is that one that will look more desirable to PhD programs when the time comes to apply.

Just wondering people's thoughts on which one of the two would look better moving forward. Thanks!

The thesis based option, imo. Someone in Philosophy might be better able to answer if it holds true for your field, but since a PhD is predominately a research degree, the research track for an MA (one with a Thesis) will probably better display your research skills should you want to continue for a PhD.

I'm also not from your field.... but I've asked professors at my university, and the thesis based route may be better. It will show you're already capable of research, as Eigen said. Also in addition to that, it would possibly make doing research at PhD level a little bit easier for you, as you would have had experience in that area.

I recommend talking to the grad supervisor in your dept about this question because it can differ based on your program or school.

I had the same question and, upon asking my grad supervisor, found out that the major paper was the better route for me. In my program, the only people who do a thesis are the ones whose employers are paying for the degree and require it.

I agree that you should talk to someone in the field about it. I had this same decision to make, and I was told that the major research paper is a better option for me because of the focus in my field relating to your chances at the PhD level on how successful you have been in getting your research published. The logic was that, since I would be taking more courses, I would have more opportunities to develop my ideas and get the papers for the classes published since I would be writing more of them for my degree requirements instead of doing extra work on the side (and we all know there won't be much free time!) to increase my publishing. My supervisor for my MA program was also very happy that I picked the MRP and not the thesis. I can see how this would vary from field to field though, so I would ask someone who's very involved in the graduate program you're entering, or even a trusted professor at the school you're at now. Good luck!

Talk to your grad coordinator, supervisor and even a career counsellor at your school. If it were me, I would want a range of opinions and be a bit worried that the departmental people may sway me to one side or another for their own benefit (e.g., it might look better on a department if they have more thesis students...). By talking to a career counsellor, they can suggest the best steps for you to take to get to where you want (i.e., education, job), and it can be specific for your field.

In my experience, thesis base is the way to go for a PhD. There are several reasons (1) experience, as someone mentioned, PhD programs are strongly research based and schools like to see you have experience conducting/producing research independently, and (2) product!!! Not that you can't publish research papers, but you can get 1-2 publications out of your MA thesis, and pubbles looks really great on PhD apps and scholarships!

Good luck!

PS: Personally I hated courses with exams, term papers, readings..blah! When I was done classes I was soo happy! And additional 7 courses would make me cry!

Yea, I'm leaning heavily towards the thesis path. The MRP seems a tad more "relaxed" but I want what's going to look best on a PhD app, and nothing less.

So far my parents have been my career counsellors (that's right, 29 years old and still getting their advice). I've been blessed to have two parents who are profs, so they've been able to offer some excellent advice. I just figure the more opinions I get on the matter, the better.

Thanks all so much for your input! :)

That's awesome that your parents can give you some direction!

I think you're doing the smart thing by getting as many opinions as possible, and knowing what route will give you what options!

Being informed is crucial!

Good luck! And let us know what you decide!