Does childrens of alumni REALLY get any advantage?

Chukwu Chucks

My Dad went to OSU for Computer Science undergraduate program. I am applying for Graduate program in Construction Management. Do I actually get any advantage, based on the rumor I heard (hopefully not just rumor...lol).

Does this really help boosting my chance to gain access to any benefit (funding, scholarship, etc)? besides having a good conversation with staff during grad. visit?

At many schools I've applied to, there were special scholarships and awards funded by the Alumni association or some generous donor that is only available to children / dependents of alumni or something. I think that these exist because they want to attract children of alumni to their programs, which means the policy must be known. So, if this is not publicly stated, I don't think you would get an advantage (unless there is some shady things going on!)

Typically, "legacy students" are given preference but not over a more well qualified student--if Student A and Student B are equally qualified but Student B's parent graduated from University X and has a history of donating/season ticket holder/etc, Student B would probably get the offer. That policy varies from school to school but is I think a generally accepted way of doing things. There are also, as previously stated, a lot of scholarships either designated for legacy students or with preference given to them. My main caveat is that my perception has been that the "extra points for affiliation" method is used more in undergraduate admissions than in graduate positions--I would think that graduate applicants are a smaller pool, and because the process is a bit more involved than undergrad admissions an alumni affiliation shouldn't be the tipping factor in someone's favor.

I don't think it's particularly "shady", I do think it's the way life works (a lot of people in this forum are targeting "name brand" schools because of the perception that they're more likely to be hired by certain employers, how is that kind of influence any different?).

Typically, "legacy students" are given preference but not over a more well qualified student--if Student A and Student B are equally qualified but Student B's parent graduated from University X and has a history of donating/season ticket holder/etc, Student B would probably get the offer. That policy varies from school to school but is I think a generally accepted way of doing things. There are also, as previously stated, a lot of scholarships either designated for legacy students or with preference given to them. My main caveat is that my perception has been that the "extra points for affiliation" method is used more in undergraduate admissions than in graduate positions--I would think that graduate applicants are a smaller pool, and because the process is a bit more involved than undergrad admissions an alumni affiliation shouldn't be the tipping factor in someone's favor.

I don't think it's particularly "shady", I do think it's the way life works (a lot of people in this forum are targeting "name brand" schools because of the perception that they're more likely to be hired by certain employers, how is that kind of influence any different?).

Anyway Oregongal, r u currently enrolled at Oregon State Uni? or is it only name? or u were born there? tell me please :)

Edited by romeo2die

I just meant that I think there should be some kind of transparency in the selection criteria for things like fellowships and scholarship applications. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving preference to alumni, donors, whatever, but I think it should be stated on the application information. For example, if an award says "applicants will be selected based on factors X, Y, and Z" and then the committee later decides that they will also use criteria A, B, and C as well, then I think it's a little shady (depending on what X, Y, Z and A, B, C are!) Or even worse, they publicly say that factors X, Y, and Z are important and only tell a select group of people about A, B, and C.

I just meant that I think there should be some kind of transparency in the selection criteria for things like fellowships and scholarship applications. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving preference to alumni, donors, whatever, but I think it should be stated on the application information. For example, if an award says "applicants will be selected based on factors X, Y, and Z" and then the committee later decides that they will also use criteria A, B, and C as well, then I think it's a little shady (depending on what X, Y, Z and A, B, C are!) Or even worse, they publicly say that factors X, Y, and Z are important and only tell a select group of people about A, B, and C.

Well, there's three points to keep in mind:

1. The importance of networking appears in all facets of life. This is much the same with "legacy student" situations, where networking just happens to be a blood relation with an alumnus.
  2. "Legacy students" only really matters for borderline case students. A student with a great academic portfolio will be accepted to at least one university regardless.
  3. Like mentioned earlier, this is really only something that's seen at the undergrad level.

Legacy admissions are mainly for undergraduates -- and it can be a significant advantage at some schools.

Well, there's three points to keep in mind:

1. The importance of networking appears in all facets of life. This is much the same with "legacy student" situations, where networking just happens to be a blood relation with an alumnus.
  2. "Legacy students" only really matters for borderline case students. A student with a great academic portfolio will be accepted to at least one university regardless.
  3. Like mentioned earlier, this is really only something that's seen at the undergrad level.

Yeah, I definitely agree there, especially with #3. For job applications and grad school applications, i think the "brand name" and "legacy student" aspects are implied. Also, I don't think these types of applications need to fully spell out how they select students -- a company can hire whomever they wish (as long as they don't discriminate against whatever its protected by law in their jurisdiction) and a school can do the same with the students they admit.

But when it comes to scholarships or other awards, I think if an award wants to portray itself as truly picking the best candidate, it should fully disclose its definition of the best candidate, including all advantages for alumni, if any. Of course, they don't HAVE to, but that's what I meant by being shady -- now I'm not as confident in their ability to pick the best candidate. Not that it really matters -- just wanted to clarify a bit more.

I'm not saying networking itself is shady! Just wish that some awards would be more transparent in their decision making process. But that might be just me :)

a company can hire whomever they wish (as long as they don't discriminate against whatever its protected by law in their jurisdiction) and a school can do the same with the students they admit.

I know this isn't where you were going with this, but it sounds funny because that means that whoever isn't explicitly protected by law is fine to discriminate against. This is a bit like preferential admission to members of some groups. The part that is usually omitted is that it's always at the expense of members of other, "non-protected" groups.

-- a company can hire whomever they wish (as long as they don't discriminate against whatever its protected by law in their jurisdiction) and a school can do the same with the students they admit

Yeah, those company just need to put a big phrase on the application paper

"We XYZ company support Equal Employment Opportunities...blablabla.....we do not discriminate against any group race color blablabla"

And then they can hire any ppl they want....I think Equal Employment Opportunity Law is just a written rule, the same as "NO JAYWALKING"....ppl can technically get arrested for that, but ppl do it anyway....and Cops does not even bother to do anything since they prefer to chase down a drug dealer on a hi-speed pursuit, rather than chasing down a jaywalker....

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad went to OSU for Computer Science undergraduate program. I am applying for Graduate program in Construction Management. Do I actually get any advantage, based on the rumor I heard (hopefully not just rumor...lol).

Does this really help boosting my chance to gain access to any benefit (funding, scholarship, etc)? besides having a good conversation with staff during grad. visit?

From what I know, the fact that your parent was an alumnus of the university you're applying to usually only helps if you're applying to the Ivy League, and also if your parents were/are major donors to the university.