Northern Renaissance Programs

Mitleachim

I have a decent list of M.A./Ph.D. programs that I'm pretty happy with and will apply to in a few months, but I wanted to get some other ideas before I finalize the list. Any thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Is Emory on your list? Walter Melion works on NR (this isn't my field so I don't know much about his research) and if you haven't looked at the school I suggest you check it out. The department is SUPER nice and VERY supportive, also they give full funding. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

UPenn (Silver), Berkeley (Honig), Northwestern (Swan), Johns Hopkins (Merback), UT Austin (Chipps Smith), UIowa (Hochstrasser), Yale (Wood), Harvard (Koerner), BU (Zell), American U (Pearson), Columbia (Freedberg, Moxey, Schama), Williams (Filipczak), ...those are the ones that come to mind right away. Unfortunately for us northerners, most programs only have one Northern Renaissance scholar. Often they'll be the only early modern professor on the faculty. Also, keep in mind some of the bigger names will be retiring in the next few years and might not be taking students. It would definitely be worth your while to email these professors (or their respective departments) to ask if they will be accepting students. I'm about to start my PhD in Northern Renaissance Art at a top 15 program so pm me if you want to talk more.

• 1 month later...

Maybe consider Santa Barbara? Mark Meadow's and Ann Adams's students have done ok, at least those I can recall (professors at Duke & Georgia, curators at Getty & RISD). "artofdescribing" shouldn't have overlooked an Alpers student at another "top 15" (is it just me or are there about 30 programs in the top 15?).

"artofdescribing" shouldn't have overlooked an Alpers student at another "top 15" (is it just me or are there about 30 programs in the top 15?).

Haha whoops...that is embarrassing. I have no excuse except that Alpers disciples are EVERYWHERE...and it is really difficult to keep track of them sometimes.

I also just thought of Christiane Hertel at Bryn Mawr...another one of those 30-40 programs considered to be in the top 15 :D Although I'm not sure what the funding situation is like right now...I heard not so great? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Also Courtauld (Nash) and Duke (Vans Miegrot)...

• 2 years later...

Is there any updates on the scholars active and taking students in this field? To quote one of my professors, "[Northerners in top schools] are either retiring or dying." Larry Silver for one is no longer taking students.

Is he not? I feel like he's been courting students even this last round.

Otherwise, Northwestern really seems like the place to be for early modern European art--Swan, and others.

• 8 months later...

Can anyone offer any insight into the job prospects for people graduating with a concentration in Northern Ren?  It seems there are a lot fewer of us compared with people working on modern/contemporary art.  Would you say that's an advantage or are there a lot more jobs for those concentrating on modern/contemporary? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2012 at 11:09 AM, Hegel's Bagels said:

UPenn (Silver), Berkeley (Honig), Northwestern (Swan), Johns Hopkins (Merback), UT Austin (Chipps Smith), UIowa (Hochstrasser), Yale (Wood), Harvard (Koerner), BU (Zell), American U (Pearson), Columbia (Freedberg, Moxey, Schama), Williams (Filipczak), ...those are the ones that come to mind right away. Unfortunately for us northerners, most programs only have one Northern Renaissance scholar. Often they'll be the only early modern professor on the faculty. Also, keep in mind some of the bigger names will be retiring in the next few years and might not be taking students. It would definitely be worth your while to email these professors (or their respective departments) to ask if they will be accepting students. I'm about to start my PhD in Northern Renaissance Art at a top 15 program so pm me if you want to talk more.

just a note: pretty sure moxey is retiring soon/not taking on new students. 

On 2/4/2016 at 11:12 AM, future art grad said:

Can anyone offer any insight into the job prospects for people graduating with a concentration in Northern Ren?  It seems there are a lot fewer of us compared with people working on modern/contemporary art.  Would you say that's an advantage or are there a lot more jobs for those concentrating on modern/contemporary? thanks

I would say it's pretty good, but probably not much different. When I was applying to schools, my mentors thought that I would have better luck getting in than someone who does 19th century - contemporary just because there are so many more people who want to study in those fields. So in applications, I would say Northern Ren has a better chance of getting in but probably equal job prospects?