Major Paper vs. Thesis

screamorange

Hey guys,

So I'll have to choose between the major thesis paper (which I assume is the easier route) or thesis option. I have had people tell me I should stick with the thesis based option if I want to pursue a PhD.......is this true? What would you guys suggest? I don't mind research in general, I like finding and analyzing information and drawing conclusions. However, I am worried the thesis option might be too stressful....I have seen my friends panic. Any suggestions?

Hank's link to the other topic has great responses. I just want to address a specific concern of yours that you bring up here. It sounds like you aren't 100% sure about doing a PhD ("don't mind research in general" and you are worried about the stresses of writing a thesis). I definitely know what you mean about thesis writing stress -- I'm writing my MSc thesis right now!

So, you can take the thesis MSc route and find out whether you really like research and get the experience of writing a thesis. Then it would help you figure out if you'd want to do a PhD or not! In undergrad, I originally took a non-honours stream because I was afraid of doing a 4th year thesis. But after 2nd year, I learned that you basically need an honours undergrad to get into many grad schools (or at least take the thesis course as a non-honours student) so I switched. I found that my thesis experience in undergrad was nothing like I feared and it was all very doable! So maybe a MSc thesis seems daunting now, but you may feel differently at the end of your ~2 years!

Hank's link to the other topic has great responses. I just want to address a specific concern of yours that you bring up here. It sounds like you aren't 100% sure about doing a PhD ("don't mind research in general" and you are worried about the stresses of writing a thesis). I definitely know what you mean about thesis writing stress -- I'm writing my MSc thesis right now!

So, you can take the thesis MSc route and find out whether you really like research and get the experience of writing a thesis. Then it would help you figure out if you'd want to do a PhD or not! In undergrad, I originally took a non-honours stream because I was afraid of doing a 4th year thesis. But after 2nd year, I learned that you basically need an honours undergrad to get into many grad schools (or at least take the thesis course as a non-honours student) so I switched. I found that my thesis experience in undergrad was nothing like I feared and it was all very doable! So maybe a MSc thesis seems daunting now, but you may feel differently at the end of your ~2 years!

You bring up some really good points. You're right, I should try the thesis option, it might not be that bad and this will help clear up my mind a bit about whether I want to do a PhD or not. I really appreciate that you took the time to provide such a thoughtful answer. Thanks!

What the heck is Capacity Development?

Glad you asked! Its basically focused on rural planning and development. You can study this from many different perspectives ie. social sciences, economics, engineering or environmental sciences (depending upon what you studied in your undergrad). A rough idea of what I'll be focusing on is development through environmental conservation.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/sedrd/RES/admission.html

If you're considering a PhD do a thesis because programs will be suspicious about why you didn't.

The thesis process might also help you decide whether to do a PhD: If an MA thesis is too stressful/unenjoyable then a PhD definitely isn't for you. Everybody dislikes some aspects of writing and research but, at the core, you have to enjoy doing it to have any hope of success in a PhD program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I'll have to choose between the major thesis paper (which I assume is the easier route) or thesis option. I have had people tell me I should stick with the thesis based option if I want to pursue a PhD.......is this true? What would you guys suggest? I don't mind research in general, I like finding and analyzing information and drawing conclusions. However, I am worried the thesis option might be too stressful....I have seen my friends panic. Any suggestions?

Is the thesis option required for a PhD?

Edited by screamorange

• 4 weeks later...

Is the thesis option required for a PhD?

Let's try again with an example. You apply for a job at a movie store. The manager asks what type of movies you like and you reply, "Movies are okay. But I only watch them when I'm required." The manager points out that, strictly speaking, liking movies isn't a job requirement, but many customers like to talk about movies and there will be movies playing in the store. If you only watch movies begrudgingly then you might find it irritating that they're on all the time and that other people are so chatty about the movies they like.

...and from the manager's perspective, why would they hire you when they could hire somebody who loves movies?

ETA: To answer your question directly, it probably varies from program to program. But there's a huge, probably unstated, difference between "not required to apply" and "has a snowball's chance in hell of acceptance without one."

Edited by lewin00