How do you figure out what school to apply to?

citychild

I'm stressing, about everything.

I can't figure out what school--for the life of me--to apply to. I support myself--no mom, no dad--so paying for applications could become an issue too. I really don't have much help on my campus in terms of a mentor or anything.

Getting in shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a 4.0, involved in 3 (soon to be 4) research projects and am heading my own research project. Student leader, in the honors college. But none of that matters really. I want a school that fits me.

I visited UCLA and USC. But UCLA doesn't offer an advanced standing option and requires the GRE. USC wasn't terribly impressive for some reason--probably because they screwed our tour appointment up.

In other news, Columbia's "contemporary social issues" focus really appeals to me. I do a lot of advocacy with the homeless. I want to continue to do that. None of the focuses seem to really appeal to me aside from that one and, as I said, the help from my present campus is non-existent (they want me to stay there, I don't).

My only requirement is 1) an ocean nearby & 2) good public transportation. I hate driving. I will be coming with my girlfriend and 2 cats when we leave.

I'm so confused... can anyone spare some advice?

Finding programs to apply to can be really hard! I am an entering student now, and I took quite a bit of the summer before my application season to figure it out. Gradschools.com was a pretty good resource. I entered in my criteria and search terms and basically just spent a lot of time reading program web sites, looking at research, and narrowing it down from a couple hundred to about 10 (definitely on the high end for number to apply to). If you're like I was and don't already have a clear idea of where to go, then it basically just takes a lot of time and research - no easy way around it that I found.

It sounds like you have not taken nor plan to take the GRE. I don't know if it's different for your programs, but I don't think I even heard of any schools not requiring GRE when I applied. Unless you know for sure that most of your potential programs do not require or recommend it, I would absolutely take it (unless you're referring to the subject tests, which is a different story).

As for your criteria, that may actually help you to narrow it down and make your search easier, but I would hold those thoughts until you've looked around some. You may find a program that you would be willing to let one of those things go for. Also - it is definitely not necessary to drop tons of money on application fees. My fees averaged around $30, and at least for my programs did not correspond to the school's ranking.

If you really have your heart set on Columbia, talk to some advisers you may be interested in working with and get them interested in you! Of course, even if that ends up being your dream school and they seem to like you also, apply to at least a couple more schools - you never know. Good luck with applying, and hope I could help a bit!

How about somewhere in Florieda? The only place I know anything about it Barry University, but I have never visited. I think it is somewhat near the ocean and that there is fairly good public transportation. Use this site to find programs:

http://www.cswe.org/Accreditation/Accredited-Programs.aspx

I have not come across an MSW program that requires GREs. The GREs don't test the skills that are needed for a social worker. UCLA seems to be the exception, so before you take the GREs look at the options for schools that you really want to go to. Most likely, most of them will not require GREs so if you decide that you aren't really into the ones that require the GREs, don't bother taking them. :)

The defenestration, are you applying to an MSW program? As I said, I have not come across a lot of places that want your GRE scores. I was surprised when you had the opposite finding. Maybe it is because I am looking mainly in the northeast?

No problem! That is the site I used to find the programs I want to apply for. It is nice because you can search by state, which is helpful if you have an idea of where you want to study. Of course there is also gradschools.com. Not sure if you have been there but I personally preferred the CSWE website.

Hello Everyone,

I find myself in that situation. Not sure where to apply to. My wish list is:

1. UCLA

2. USC (online program)

3. Boston Univ. (online program)

4. FSU (online program)

5. CSUN

The only thing, my GPA is low. Cumulative, I have a 2.7, but based on my upper division courses I have a 3.0. My community college courses are the reason I don't have a high GPA ( I honestly didn't take school seriously back then). I do however, have about 5 years of paid work experience working with the youth and adults within many non profits providing educational tutoring and case management. At the moment, I work for an organization and have a caseload of 120 clients and work with various clients from diverse barriers such as substance abuse, homelessness, domestic violence, undocumented individuals, clients with mental health issues. I feel my strong point is my work experience and the fact that I have been working since the age of 15 and gone to school at the same time. I also can gather about 5 references (2 professors and 3 work related) What do you think? Do I really have a shot with my top 3 choices?

MarielMSW, not trying to hijack the thread but I just wanted to make a comment that I would be very cautious of online programs. A lot of them do not provide the required field work component and thus are not CSWE accredited! Also check the licensing requirements in your state :)

To be on-topic, I would suggest to citychild to come to NYC and check out Columbia, as well as NYU, Fordham, Hunter, and Yeshiva. They are all top schools, and carry a ton of weight in the area. There is no better place (other than maybe San Francisco) to help the homeless as our homeless population seems to soar higher every year, and our outreach programs are always lacking.

Best of luck in your application process!

arcoventry -- I am familiar with NYC. I went to Fordham for 1 year as an undergrad & it got too $$ so I thought I'd focus my monies on my masters program.

Anyway, I really, really want to come to NYC to scope out the schools. But I can't afford it. I can probably afford the ticket, but not somewhere to stay on top of everything else. I support myself with paying rent, bills, my education so being able to visit campuses is out of reach. I visited UCLA and USC through a school sponsored trip, part of TRiO.

If working with the homeless population is something you want to continue, location should govern where you apply because of the field work opportunities available to you. New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are all great places to start looking. Talk to program reps, talk to current students, and see what kinds of field placements they offer. See if there's an Idealist Grad Fair in your area around Fall; a great alternative to when you can't visit or attend an info session in person.

As far as UCLA goes... The GRE is nothing to break a sweat over; they tout it as a mere formality for the MSW.

And just because I'd like to rep L.A. a little bit.. I think Los Angeles is an incredible place to be to work in addressing the needs and challenges of our homeless population. I currently work with transitional age youth in an ILP in Hollywood, and it has been fascinating to see the recent efforts to combat the issue, and see some of the political bravado this city is notorious for disarmed a bit in order to pave the way for change. There are many agencies doing incredible work, and it's a good place to see the tension between policy and practice.

Just do a ton of research on each program, and ask for more info around here :D Start with a big list then narrow it down. Wanting both good public transit and being near the ocean already really narrows your options, so hopefully that helps. I really think B.U and NYC schools sound like a great fit for you.

If you do apply to Columbia, apply really early. I applied on their deadline back in January and still have not heard a peep. Completely ridiculous.

Also, Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill are two other schools I know of that require the GRE!

I was also thinking of Chicago.

So these are my thoughts as of right now:

-- One school in Washington. I liked U Washington Seattle but... 1) They require you to pay for a fingerprint background check (more $$ which I don't have--I already have our states card) & I heard their research dept isn't terribly strong.

-- One in Northern California... but I heard San Fran State isn't terribly close to bus/transit lines.

-- One in Southern California... haven't narrowed this one down yet.

-- One in Chicago... Jane Adams at UIC was appealing for their concentration in violence studies. Not my first passion, but a passion nonetheless.

-- One in Boston... Simmons I like for their MSW/MPH with Harvard.

-- One in NYC--too many to chose from.

Thoughts?

(Fee waivers shouldn't be too much because I should be able to get waivers)

• 1 month later...

I was also thinking of Chicago.

So these are my thoughts as of right now:

-- One school in Washington. I liked U Washington Seattle but... 1) They require you to pay for a fingerprint background check (more $$ which I don't have--I already have our states card) & I heard their research dept isn't terribly strong.

-- One in Northern California... but I heard San Fran State isn't terribly close to bus/transit lines.

-- One in Southern California... haven't narrowed this one down yet.

-- One in Chicago... Jane Adams at UIC was appealing for their concentration in violence studies. Not my first passion, but a passion nonetheless.

-- One in Boston... Simmons I like for their MSW/MPH with Harvard.

-- One in NYC--too many to chose from.

Thoughts?

(Fee waivers shouldn't be too much because I should be able to get waivers)

I don't know if I'm late in saying this here, but the Simmons + Harvard MSW/MPH joint program is almost non-existent. What I mean by this is, only a few (maybe 2 or 3) students per class actually get accepted to and enroll in this dual degree program. The program does exist, but it's not a big one by any means. I spoke to the director of this program directly, and he said you basically would apply to both schools separately and gain admissions to both. You need exceptionally high GRE scores and you go through a very selective admissions process. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer (sorry!), I just wanted to let you know in case you might have thought it's one of those things you could simply opt for once you gain admissions to Simmons MSW program. But if you do happen to get in, all the best to you! Good luck B)

Yea, I knew it was apply to each school individually. I've basically (at this point) disqualified schools requiring the GRE. It's too much work for me right now with 5 p/t jobs, school, internship. You get the idea. So I won't be apply to any dual programs. Wish I could though :(