Summer Reading List (for Incoming Fall Ph.D. Students)

Some Henrick Ibsen, some Elizabeth Gaskell, may dip into some of Robert Browning's more complicated poems. Probably a good deal of Hawthorne. Lots of Cambridge Companion Chapters, some articles from the journal Nineteenth-Century Literature, Mill's Utilitarianism, possibly some Strindberg. George Eliot's Felix Holt. John Ruskin's Praeterita. Probably Tourgenev's On the Eve, among other things.

Ulysses by James Joyce.

Anyone have advice on approaching/ reading/ tackling/ wrestling with Ulysses?

I had a professor who told us that the first time you read it, pretend like you're in a hotel room, forgot a book and are desperate for reading material. Then you find this book called Ulysses in the nightstand. So that's what I did. I like this strategy because it releases you from the intense associations that come with reading ~~**ULYSSES**~~. Also I recommend flipping around. If you're curious about "Penelope," then skip to the end and read it. There's no reason you shouldn't indulge a little; that's all the indulgence you'll get out of the book your first read, after all. 

The second time I read it I read the Bloomsday Reader along with it. This allowed for a guided, more methodical approach, since I already had an exploratory one. 

Ulysses by James Joyce.

Anyone have advice on approaching/ reading/ tackling/ wrestling with Ulysses?

Read it in Dublin. Joyce famously said that if Dublin were every destroyed, you could rebuild it through Ulysses. Alas, I don't have money to go to Ireland, but everyone I know who did study abroad said this was true.