Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

Has anyone else who applied to the Netherlands STILL not heard? I know that a few people were rejected and placed on the alternate list, but it seems like the only acceptances have been for NAF, and not general grants.

I'm trying really hard to be patient and not call, but I need to know! I really don't want to be told over the phone that I've been rejected.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there alternates! I just found out that I've been awarded a Fulbright to the UK from my alternate status. I received an email directly from the host country programme.

Look forward to meet the other UKers in London!

Hang in there alternates! I just found out that I've been awarded a Fulbright to the UK from my alternate status. I received an email directly from the host country programme.

Look forward to meet the other UKers in London!

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, when were you notified (postmark date) of your alternate status??

woot! just got an e-mail saying that I was accepted as a HK ETA. If you are also thinking about going, PM me and I'd love to get to know my potential colleagues!

Congratulations! And wow, you got an e-mail? I wonder why everyone else got snail mail letters?

Haha, a part of me keeps hoping that they made a mistake and that I'll get an e-mail or letter bumping me up to at least "alternate" status. So I take it that none of the HK ETA finalists here were rejected or even put on the waitlist? Just curious - were all of you university-affiliated applicants?

Has anyone else who applied to the Netherlands STILL not heard? I know that a few people were rejected and placed on the alternate list, but it seems like the only acceptances have been for NAF, and not general grants.

I'm trying really hard to be patient and not call, but I need to know! I really don't want to be told over the phone that I've been rejected.

I haven't either...anyone else? Did any of the NAF recipients get a manilla envelope, or have they only heard via email?

Today I got word from my Fulbright adviser that Jordan applications have made it to New York. This, however, does not necessarily mean we will know within any given amount of time. Could still take weeks. She mentioned that applications to the Middle East generally take longer to be approved by the State Department than those for other countries. Background checks, etc., to make sure we're not an enemy of the state :)

You will probably be given a grant since they decided to contact you. I read online somewhere that thats what happened to someone before, they got a phone call to call Fulbright and they offered them a full grant. Either that or perhaps a spot opened up somewhere else where they might be able to give you a grant.

Good luck!

Mkurti, you're sweet to think so. I don't know, the email was too vague. I've been calling frantically, but they're not responding (office closed at 4). I'll call them tomorrow morning. Don't lose hope, mkurti (and everyone else waiting)! ~ 2 out of 3 students get off the alternate's list at my school (some in May, some in June,and others as late as August).

OD09,

I bet my Bachelor's degree that you were called to be given an award, thats how certain I am. Why else would they call you? I hope for the best.

Regarding my situation 22 students applied from my school 9 got in 9 are alternates and 4 were rejected.

OD09,

I bet my Bachelor's degree that you were called to be given an award, thats how certain I am. Why else would they call you? I hope for the best.

Regarding my situation 22 students applied from my school 9 got in 9 are alternates and 4 were rejected.

hahaha! I'd gamble my bachelors' too, but mine wouldn't really be worth anything. There were 5 alternates at my school last year. Three of them made it off the waiting list. The stats were similar in previous years as far as I saw (you can imagine how much I bugged our campus rep. to get that bit of knowledge! They're refusing to answer my calls at this point. hahaha. ).

That sounds about like my school, except yours maybe does a little better. We had 21 people apply this year I believe, and 8 got it last year. But if you have 9 acceptances and 9 alternates, your school could end up in the mid teens. Out of 20 that is really good.

Rinairy:

Today I got word from my Fulbright adviser that Jordan applications have made it to New York. This, however, does not necessarily mean we will know within any given amount of time. Could still take weeks. She mentioned that applications to the Middle East generally take longer to be approved by the State Department than those for other countries. Background checks, etc., to make sure we're not an enemy of the state

Rinairy, That's definitely good news! Do you think all of the Middle East region decisions are made by the U.S. Committee at once? They don't have a quota system for most of the individual countries, so I was wondering if they make the decisions together ...

hahaha! I'd gamble my bachelors' too, but mine wouldn't really be worth anything. There were 5 alternates at my school last year. Three of them made it off the waiting list. The stats were similar in previous years as far as I saw (you can imagine how much I bugged our campus rep. to get that bit of knowledge! They're refusing to answer my calls at this point. hahaha. ).

Definitely. When I was applying to college I was put on a wait list. I called and offered to send in additional materials every week. Then, out of the blue, I get a call from them one morning. I missed it but they left a message saying "Please give us a call as soon as you can." I woke up around noon and began calling fanatically, only to discover that I had to wait for another hour while everyone was on lunch break! I called again at 1:05 and they said they were pleased to offer me admission. People don't bother making personal calls if it's not important! :D Good luck!!

Ok, cool. Thanks, Rainer. That's quite helpful. Have you received any snail mail from anyone Fulbright related other than the letter asking you to indicate your intention, etc. and the medical forms? I'm always freaking out that I'm missing something...

Sure! I've only received the intention letter from the Kommission and then the medical forms from IIE. I've sent everything in again, but I'm in the same boat with the waiting game. I hope more information comes along soon.

Rinairy, That's definitely good news! Do you think all of the Middle East region decisions are made by the U.S. Committee at once? They don't have a quota system for most of the individual countries, so I was wondering if they make the decisions together ...

I don't think so. My friend heard back from Morocco over a month ago.

Perhaps fulbrightest won a research award? I emailed Jon last week, and he said that decisions had not yet come down from the national board. Got the standard "two weeks" response -- still, I doubt that within 5 business days Macau was approved and sent out. Additionally, I heard back from him on a Wednesday, when letters are normally sent out. So I doubt that anything has been sent out for ETAs.

For those of you who have been accepted (especially for a research grant), how long after you received the snail mail notification did you receive an e-mail confirmation?

I know that the letters for my country were mailed out nearly 2 weeks ago, but I still haven't gotten a letter. I'm pessimistic though because I feel like if I had gotten it, there would have been some sort of follow-up e-mail since we have to accept/decline within a certain time frame.

Let me know what you think.

Perhaps fulbrightest won a research award? I emailed Jon last week, and he said that decisions had not yet come down from the national board. Got the standard "two weeks" response -- still, I doubt that within 5 business days Macau was approved and sent out. Additionally, I heard back from him on a Wednesday, when letters are normally sent out. So I doubt that anything has been sent out for ETAs.

That seems the most likely scenario if you heard from Jon, I am still holding out hope though! This is so frustrating....

Ok, have any of the German ETAs been to this website yet:

http://www.fulbright.de/togermany/infor ... ntees.html

How long has this site been up? Why weren't we sent anything telling us to go there? Ugh, this is all so frustrating.

I've been checking that site everyday since I received the letter from Germany. Since it wasn't up last night, today is the first day it's existed. Before it would just redirect you to the sitemap.

Also, the letter from Fulbright Germany referred us to that link and said it would open in late April.

I've been checking that site everyday since I received the letter from Germany. Since it wasn't up last night, today is the first day it's existed. Before it would just redirect you to the sitemap.

Also, the letter from Fulbright Germany referred us to that link and said it would open in late April.

I know they told us to go there, which is why I checked in, but I don't recall them saying that it's there for anything other than general information. I email Charles Restrepo today and he said all they're looking for from us right now is that we've sent informal emails or something accepting the grant offer and also the medical forms.