Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

I've been guilty of lurking for a while now, but I figured I should finally join the board!

I'll be doing a ETA in Germany next year, and I find it funny that I just realized I'm more excited about finding out where I'll be in Germany than I am about graduation in two days.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed a few people about my placement and was continously sent to the next organization (First I emailed the Fulbright people in NY, then in Berlin, then PAD). I did find out that I was placed in Hessen. Everyone will find out their Bundesland placement in the grant authorization letter, which will help with airfare. BUT, don't get too excited, because I was informed that we won't know the city/school until July!!!!!! That makes it rather difficult to find housing...grrrrr!

Who did you email at PAD? My three top choices were Hamburg, Berlin, and Bremen so if I get any of those, knowing the Bundesland will mean knowing the city, and I really need to know so I can start making summer arrangements.

I actually just went to the PAD website and looked under their contacts section. I sent an email to their generic address, not to anyone in particular. However, I sent the email about 10 days ago. They will most likely just tell you that the letter is on its way! I asked before the letters were mailed! Good luck!

Well, I can see i'm a little behind the times... just found this board today!

Congratulations to all of you! Winners, alternates, finalists and every person who applied. If you can survive the Fulbright process I think you're a better person for it.

In early April I found out that I'm an alternate for a research grant to Ireland for 2009-2010. Just wondering if anyone on this board is a principal candidate or also an alternate? The waiting game is getting a bit tiresome at this point. But oh well-what are you going to do?

Just looking for some news if folks have it.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Hey there! I was just wondering if anyone else on here was selected to be apart of the diversity initiative (the Fulbright Kommission selects 20 ETA's). I found out about the program about a month ago but I had no idea I was up for consideration. Anyway, just checking. I did a similar program in the past and it was amazing so I'm really excited about it.

Hey there! I was just wondering if anyone else on here was selected to be apart of the diversity initiative (the Fulbright Kommission selects 20 ETA's). I found out about the program about a month ago but I had no idea I was up for consideration. Anyway, just checking. I did a similar program in the past and it was amazing so I'm really excited about it.

How did you find out that you were selected? I'm happy that you're excited about it! Congratulations :)

Has anyone else heard about a CLEA?

I received an email from my CLEA administrator (representing Jordan) a few days before I received my acceptance letter in the snail mail. The email indicated I had been selected as a Principal for the CLEA grant (my scholarship adviser here at school told me not all Fulbrighters headed to CLEA-sponsored countries are offered these additional language study grants). She asked us to fill out a timeline and budget for studies based on tuition prices she provided to us in her email. The budget form seemed to be a mere formality. Basically, CLEA needs to know how many months you would like to study (with four or six months being Jordan's only options).

I will be doing six months at the Qasid institute, inshallah.

What language will you be studying and where?

Congrats!

Rinairy,

I believe I phrased my last post wrong. I haven't received a CLEA, but I applied for Azeri and also had to fill out a form with budget and timeline. I submitted it over two weeks ago, but have not heard anything since... I am an alternate to Azerbaijan, so maybe they will let me know if I get bumped up to principal? We'll see, congratulations on yours!!

I'm also guilty of lurking for a while.

I wanted to let anyone who engaged in the particularly grueling battle that is the French IIE competition (talk about a body count!), that I spoke to Rachel near the end of this week and they've now moved to the alternate list. Hold out hope, French alternates . . . help may be on the way!

Ok, stupid question. I somehow accidently handed over the paper that had the address we're supposed to send the medical clearance form to to my dr. (it was stapled to the physician's instructions). Is it just the IIE address in NYC?

Does anyone know where the "additional funding" for alternates comes from? For a country that didn't give out as may grants as they were initially supposed to, is there a greater chance that funds will be found and the alternates will be contacted?

Ok, stupid question. I somehow accidently handed over the paper that had the address we're supposed to send the medical clearance form to to my dr. (it was stapled to the physician's instructions). Is it just the IIE address in NYC?

Yes, the address that was listed is:

U.S. Student Programs

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Yes, the address that was listed is:

U.S. Student Programs

Institute of International Education

809 United Nations Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Thanks so much. I felt really idiotic once I realized what I had done.

Thanks so much. I felt really idiotic once I realized what I had done.

I did the same thing. Called the doctor's office from the post-office vaguely panicked, but she still had the address. :D

I am starting to worry about finding housing, funding, etc. I haven't received my grant package yet, but I am wondering does the Fulbright determine the cost of living allowances by country-with or without consideration for specific cities. I.e., the cost of living in London is considerably higher compared to living in Liverpool, despite both being in the UK.

(Perhaps we can create a new thread to discuss logistics)

Yes, I am pretty sure they adjust the stipend based on the country and location. For example, in India they give a higher housing allowance for those doing research or teaching in cities as opposed to towns or villages. You would probably starve if you tried to live on our stipend in London!

I got Berlin! It was my first choice so I'm really, really happy.

The only thing is that it says:

A. MAINTENANCE

monthly: Euro

Did anyone have that part filled in?

I'm also extremely shocked by how quickly we received these! That first letter took like 3 weeks and this took only 5 days. YAY!

Niedersachsen--which I realized I know very, very little about. I can't really complain since I made the decision to go with the luck of the draw and let them place me anywhere, I just hope I don't end up in BFE!

You guys are both lucky since by knowing your state you also know your city...I'm jealous!