Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

Does anyone know if I can delay a Fulbright by a month or two? I'm supposed to start in Morocco this September, but I need money to pay credit card bills while I'm there, and won't have enough by then. Does it piss off Fulbright or is it a normal request?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if I can delay a Fulbright by a month or two? I'm supposed to start in Morocco this September, but I need money to pay credit card bills while I'm there, and won't have enough by then. Does it piss off Fulbright or is it a normal request?

A friend of mine pushed her Morocco Fulbright back to January, but it was for a job. So it's possible, but I think they're reviewed on a case by case basis.

A friend of mine pushed her Morocco Fulbright back to January, but it was for a job. So it's possible, but I think they're reviewed on a case by case basis.

I don't know if it applies to all regions, but there is a large window for when you can start your fellowship. I believe you can push the start date as far back as February/March of the following year.

Would anyone be interested in making a facebook group for German Fulbrighters this year? It might be easier for us to get through all of this paperwork together! : )

Ok guys...search for the facebook group Fulbrighters in Germany 2009-2010 or go to http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=217493850110.

I have shoddy internet access for the time being so it's not very detailed yet!

Congrats to all who have been accepted for a Fulbright this year!!!

For those of us who will be applying this fall for a Fulbright next year.....can any of you give us pointers on putting together a successful application? Direct us to helpful websites and/or other resources? Thanks in advance!

Congrats to all who have been accepted for a Fulbright this year!!!

For those of us who will be applying this fall for a Fulbright next year.....can any of you give us pointers on putting together a successful application? Direct us to helpful websites and/or other resources? Thanks in advance!

women and children. healthcare.

women and children. healthcare.

Among many many many other types of topics as well. I know someone going to study Math, I know someone else going to study economics, and I am going to study History and Culture.

So, I think you just have a well thought out project and a very strong contact wherever you plan on going.

Among many many many other types of topics as well. I know someone going to study Math, I know someone else going to study economics, and I am going to study History and Culture.

So, I think you just have a well thought out project and a very strong contact wherever you plan on going.

microeconomics of women's collectives. mathematics of population growth ie birthing of children. history and culture of healthcare ie foucault.

anyone heard anything about Egypt ETAs yet....?

Hey, I actually got an email from Jermaine Jones yesterday saying that the hopes the program will be able to tell us very, very soon. So hang in there! :) The wait should almost be over.

So, has anyone found a good way around the Fly America Act? If it were just me going, I wouldn't care since Fulbright will cover the whole thing for us, but I want to travel with my husband & baby, and Fulbright doesn't pay for them. Flying with Scandinavian Airlines is about $750 per person, roundtrip (we're booking to come home in December for Christmas, that's why its so cheap -- already checked and the commission will gladly cover that instead of the "final" trip home). The cheapest American carrier (Continental) is about $1000 per person. Kind of a pain in the neck. SAS sometimes codeshares with United, but not on these flights (grr!)

I was under the impression that Fulbright does not cover transportation separately, but includes a stipend for traveling in your base amount. Under my terms and conditions of the grant, it reads:

5. The initial payment under the grant will include a base amount for round-trip transportation on an American carrier, a one-time or initial start-up expenses payment and three months of grant benefits.

Will someone please clarify how funding for transportation to the host country is handled? Whether it is covered separately or included in your grant money. Thanks.

I was under the impression that Fulbright does not cover transportation separately, but includes a stipend for traveling in your base amount. Under my terms and conditions of the grant, it reads:

5. The initial payment under the grant will include a base amount for round-trip transportation on an American carrier, a one-time or initial start-up expenses payment and three months of grant benefits.

Will someone please clarify how funding for transportation to the host country is handled? Whether it is covered separately or included in your grant money. Thanks.

I had to search for the lowest one-way airfare from my permanent address (Seattle) into Brussels. Then I had to send them a copy of the potential flight, which they then approved (or could've denied). I bought the ticket, and they sent me a check in US dollars the next day. I'm sure this varies from country to country, but it was efficient and painless. Hope this helps.

I haven't looked at this forum in a while. For the other Sweden Fulbrighters here - has anyone received other grants for your research in Sweden? I am trying to figure out if other awards are "compatible" with the Fulbright and would be interested if anyone else has done this. I am especially trying to figure out if the Fulbright for Sweden can be combined with the Swedish Institute Guest Scholarship, which I just found out I received today (!) Any insight would be very much appreciated.

I had to search for the lowest one-way airfare from my permanent address (Seattle) into Brussels. Then I had to send them a copy of the potential flight, which they then approved (or could've denied). I bought the ticket, and they sent me a check in US dollars the next day. I'm sure this varies from country to country, but it was efficient and painless. Hope this helps.

The way it ended up working for me (Sweden) was this:

They said either they could book the flight or I could book my own, if it was cheaper than what their travel agent could get.

I enquired about SAS (given the Fly America Act), and they said I *could* book SAS because it belonged to the "Star Alliance" even though the flights in question weren't listed as codeshared. I sent them my itinerary and they approved it. I booked.

When I get to Sweden, I bring with me a copy of the itinerary, my credit card statement and my boarding pass. The amount of the flight is added on to my first monthly stipend.

To mackiehattie: I didn't apply for the grant you asked about (and didn't get any of the other grants I did apply for). However, I believe that if the grant covers things besides day-to-day living expenses and travel (i.e. if it covers research expenses, conference travel, etc.) that you can use those portions of the grant.

By the way, where in Sweden will you be? I'm going to be in Stockholm, and am currently sending about 4-5 emails a day about apartments without any luck yet. *sigh*

I'll be in Taiwan on an ETA, does anyone have any idea what options are for after the Fulbright? As an economics major and tons of student debt it's looking more like a job--but we don't return until the end of June, way after recruiting season. Any stories or opinions on what people to post-ETA Fulbrights, please let me know.

To mackiehattie: I didn't apply for the grant you asked about (and didn't get any of the other grants I did apply for). However, I believe that if the grant covers things besides day-to-day living expenses and travel (i.e. if it covers research expenses, conference travel, etc.) that you can use those portions of the grant.

By the way, where in Sweden will you be? I'm going to be in Stockholm, and am currently sending about 4-5 emails a day about apartments without any luck yet. *sigh*

I will also be in Stockholm. I may have found an apartment, but I need to register as a student in Stockholm before I can get it, and my hosting institution is Lund, even though my fieldwork is based in Stockholm. So I'm trying to figure this all out, and quickly. Good luck with your apt search, if this one falls through I'll be right back in there with you.

Is it just you, or with you be with a partner or family? I will be there with my fiance.

I will also be in Stockholm. I may have found an apartment, but I need to register as a student in Stockholm before I can get it, and my hosting institution is Lund, even though my fieldwork is based in Stockholm. So I'm trying to figure this all out, and quickly. Good luck with your apt search, if this one falls through I'll be right back in there with you.

Is it just you, or with you be with a partner or family? I will be there with my fiance.

I'll be moving with my husband & baby (he'll be 7 months when we arrive). Can't wait to meet you!

Did you get the apartment through sssb? I'm registered on there, but will probably not have enough queue days for an apartment that's big enough for the three of us. Been checking blocket.se and bostaddirekt.com for sublets, mostly.

I'll be moving with my husband & baby (he'll be 7 months when we arrive). Can't wait to meet you!

Did you get the apartment through sssb? I'm registered on there, but will probably not have enough queue days for an apartment that's big enough for the three of us. Been checking blocket.se and bostaddirekt.com for sublets, mostly.

The apartment is actually through a friend of a friend who is a student in Stockholm, and I'm really hoping it will work out.

Because it is a student apartment I need to register, but they are going to help me figure out how to do that - it's all very confusing. I hope you are able to find a good apartment for your family - how exciting that you guys are all able to travel together! I'm looking forward to meeting you too.

Is anyone planning on bringing a computer that's larger than a laptop? I would like to bring my iMac, but I don't know if there's any viable way to transport it safely and inexpensively to Eastern Europe. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Hey, I actually got an email from Jermaine Jones yesterday saying that the hopes the program will be able to tell us very, very soon. So hang in there! :) The wait should almost be over.

Does anyone have updated news on the Egypt ETAs? I'd love to know what to do with the next year of my life 8) Thanks!

did I tell you the last news I heard? I can't remember... I did call about a week ago. it's long so I don't want to type it all up right now but the gist of it was still no real idea, let me know if I already updated you and I'll PM you