Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

did I tell you the last news I heard? I can't remember... I did call about a week ago. it's long so I don't want to type it all up right now but the gist of it was still no real idea, let me know if I already updated you and I'll PM you

I would love to hear what you heard in a pm if possible. Because it seems the email I got from them with the information I relayed may no longer be valid.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard anything either. Except for the fact that things are still up in the air. Here's to crossing our fingers that we will hear something in the near future. Though with orientation the 22nd, things are getting pretty close.

I don't know how many alternates are still out there, but I just wanted to let y'all know that they are still awarding grants. I was moved from alternate status to principal status a few weeks ago, and i'm really excited!!! Funding became available, and I guess since it's late spring they are finding extra money to send people! I know how frustrating/trying it was to be an alternate, but hang in there. Good luck to other alternates!

I don't know how many alternates are still out there, but I just wanted to let y'all know that they are still awarding grants. I was moved from alternate status to principal status a few weeks ago, and i'm really excited!!! Funding became available, and I guess since it's late spring they are finding extra money to send people! I know how frustrating/trying it was to be an alternate, but hang in there. Good luck to other alternates!

What country are you? I pretty much figure its a very long shot at this date for any alternates who haven't been informed yet. :x

This wait is seriously getting ridiculous...

This is the latest I heard from Jermaine (a few days ago) and it kind of sounds like its not going to happen real soon. I emailed back with a bunch of questions (it would be nice to know an approximate time it would start if we do get it or when the orientation would be) but I haven't heard back yet.

"Unfortunately, final decisions are still pending on you and all of the

other finalists for ETA awards to Egypt for the 2009/2010 academic year.

(More specifically, we are still waiting on Egyptian government

approval.)

I had originally thought that this would have come through by now, but

that clearly hasn't been the case. Furthermore, I have no idea when it

will at this stage, so can only hope that you'll be able to hold out for

the news about your candidacy to finally come through. (I really do hope

that this will be in the not-too-distant future.)"

Germany ETAs--

Has anyone learned of their specific assignment yet? I feel like I've been sitting around waiting for a long time. Does anyone know when they will come in? It's making me anxious because a lot of the documentation sent with the circular is dependent upon which city we'll be in, like the banking information.

Germany ETAs--

Has anyone learned of their specific assignment yet? I feel like I've been sitting around waiting for a long time. Does anyone know when they will come in? It's making me anxious because a lot of the documentation sent with the circular is dependent upon which city we'll be in, like the banking information.

What all are we supposed to have sent in already? All I did was send in the grant authorizations with the passport pictures and I sent my orientation registration by email. Is that all we're supposed to do? I see the banking account information form, but I guess they don't expect us to do that until September. Someone else mentioned insurance forms. We don't have to fill out any of those, do we?

Hopefully we'll all receive our placements soon! :)

Yeah, for Egypt, it sounds like the government just doesn't want to approve it. I have kind of given up hope on it happening (this yr at least) and I can only hope that we are compensated in some way! ... redirected to another country maybe?

katieo--

The stipend is 8,500 L.E. (about $1,500) per month. Also, there is a $400 one-time excess baggage allowance. It's unreceipted, so if you don't have excess baggage, you can use the $400 how you choose. There is also a $1,000 allowance for conference participation, but everything must be receipted for this. There is also a one-time 1,700 L.E. allowance that comes with the first grant installment upon arrival. In addition, there is a 5,000 L.E. tuition allowance. And, of course, international travel. This is what I was told. However, I'm not sure if it is the same for all people. For example, in addition to this, since I'm affiliated with Helwan University and the AUC, I get some money to cover the associated costs of holding a research position there. So if you need exact numbers, it might be worth sending an e-mail about it.

Yeah, for Egypt, it sounds like the government just doesn't want to approve it. I have kind of given up hope on it happening (this yr at least) and I can only hope that we are compensated in some way! ... redirected to another country maybe?

I'd be happy with something to put on my resume about it. I doubt that they'd be able to redirect us at the last minute (although I would NEVER say no to heading to Jordan :-), but just being able to put something on my resume or CV about it would be somewhat satisfactory. I haven't give up all hope yet, but am still applying for jobs and programs as quickly as I can.

katieo--

The stipend is 8,500 L.E. (about $1,500) per month. Also, there is a $400 one-time excess baggage allowance. It's unreceipted, so if you don't have excess baggage, you can use the $400 how you choose. There is also a $1,000 allowance for conference participation, but everything must be receipted for this. There is also a one-time 1,700 L.E. allowance that comes with the first grant installment upon arrival. In addition, there is a 5,000 L.E. tuition allowance. And, of course, international travel. This is what I was told. However, I'm not sure if it is the same for all people. For example, in addition to this, since I'm affiliated with Helwan University and the AUC, I get some money to cover the associated costs of holding a research position there. So if you need exact numbers, it might be worth sending an e-mail about it.

cheers, that's really helpful. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear other people haven't gotten theirs either. I sent mine in early April, too, and haven't heard anything. *sigh*

But I got the grant authorization thingy before sending in the medical forms, so I guess there's no reason to be antsy about the clearance.

Is anyone else still waiting on their grant authorization forms? I submitted the medical information to IIE and (per their request)my bank routing information to the Italian Commission, but I have yet to formally sign anything accepting the grant, and have also not recieved any kind of "packet" outline the terms of the grant (including the starting date, how much they will pay us, etc.). Am wondering if I've fallen through the cracks, or if there are others in my situation...

For those of you who have not received any forms since April--- I hadn't heard anything in months about the grant authorization and came to find out that Argentina was spelling my name (and therefore my email address) incorrectly. I think it is worth emailing and program coordinator in New York to make sure that everything is up to date and accurate. I ended up getting a call from New York asking me if I still wanted the grant since I had not replied to any emails! Luckily, it all worked out.

Has anyone at all received their medical clearance? I sent mine in on April 13 and still haven't heard anything.

Hey erindn-

I was getting really anxious about having not received mine yet either. I waited a month before I called New York. They told me that I had been cleared a week after I sent in the forms. I was confused because I was under the impression that they would be sending a confirmation out, and she said "oh no, we don't send confirmations."

My suggestion is to call and find out. It sure beats waiting! Germany ETAs post when you learn of your assignment.

I was getting really anxious about having not received mine yet either. I waited a month before I called New York. They told me that I had been cleared a week after I sent in the forms. I was confused because I was under the impression that they would be sending a confirmation out, and she said "oh no, we don't send confirmations."

My suggestion is to call and find out. It sure beats waiting! Germany ETAs post when you learn of your assignment.

Thanks a lot! That makes me feel better. I guess if there was a problem, I would have heard something, but I'll still call anyway.

Is anyone else still waiting on their grant authorization forms? I submitted the medical information to IIE and (per their request)my bank routing information to the Italian Commission, but I have yet to formally sign anything accepting the grant, and have also not recieved any kind of "packet" outline the terms of the grant (including the starting date, how much they will pay us, etc.). Am wondering if I've fallen through the cracks, or if there are others in my situation...

I am in the exact same position with Italy. The only concrete information I've received was in that email from the Italian Commission in which they requested bank routing information. Based on a friend's experience with the Italian Fulbright last year, it could still be a few weeks before we have any more communication from IIE or the Italian Commission. So I'm not panicking yet! Out of curiosity, where will you be based? I'm doing research in Padova.

] I am in the exact same position with Italy. The only concrete information I've received was in that email from the Italian Commission in which they requested bank routing information. Based on a friend's experience with the Italian Fulbright last year, it could still be a few weeks before we have any more communication from IIE or the Italian Commission. So I'm not panicking yet! Out of curiosity, where will you be based? I'm doing research in Padova.

ajo2: I got in touch with the Italian Comission this week and they said that they would be mailing our official paperwork/docs to us in mid July; it seems that they only needed the bank routing info and the grantee authorization form (at least at this point) from us to confirm that we are indeed accepting the Fulbright.

I'll be right down the road from you, in Verona (although my contact person is a prof. at the universita degli studi di padova). Would love to know about your project...I'll be there to finish up my research/dissertation on 13th/14th c. mendicant (Francican and Dominican) architecture in Verona.

Just out of curiousity, have you started looking for housing yet? I have always rented the same apartment when I've been in Verona, but unfortunately just found out that the owner will be using it for his office...so I'm kind of at ground 0. I wish I knew approx. how much they'd be giving us...it would make the apartment search and budgeting a little easier! Can't complain, though...am v. excited to be going back!

Is anyone else still waiting on their grant authorization forms? I submitted the medical information to IIE and (per their request)my bank routing information to the Italian Commission, but I have yet to formally sign anything accepting the grant, and have also not received any kind of "packet" outline the terms of the grant (including the starting date, how much they will pay us, etc.). Am wondering if I've fallen through the cracks, or if there are others in my situation...

I'm in the same situation as you, excet for the bank routing information bit. But I have signed the Gateway orientation paper. I'm going to Miami.

ajo2: I got in touch with the Italian Comission this week and they said that they would be mailing our official paperwork/docs to us in mid July; it seems that they only needed the bank routing info and the grantee authorization form (at least at this point) from us to confirm that we are indeed accepting the Fulbright.

I'll be right down the road from you, in Verona (although my contact person is a prof. at the universita degli studi di padova). Would love to know about your project...I'll be there to finish up my research/dissertation on 13th/14th c. mendicant (Francican and Dominican) architecture in Verona.

Just out of curiousity, have you started looking for housing yet? I have always rented the same apartment when I've been in Verona, but unfortunately just found out that the owner will be using it for his office...so I'm kind of at ground 0. I wish I knew approx. how much they'd be giving us...it would make the apartment search and budgeting a little easier! Can't complain, though...am v. excited to be going back!

That's good to know about the approximate mailing date of the next round of paperwork. I'm also trying to finish up my dissertation -- I'm working on a group of 14th and 15th-century sacristy reliquary cupboards and have the most archival work left to do in the Veneto, hence being based in Padova. I wonder how many other art historians have Fulbrights this year -- I understand that they were few and far between last year.

I recently started the housing search in earnest, but I agree that it's difficult to decide on something when we don't really know our stipend amount yet. Last year my friend paid 350 Euros/month on her Fulbright money and she seemed to find that affordable. I had some luck contacting the International Ladies Group of Padova (internationalladiiespadova@yahoo.com) regarding possible housing. Since Verona isn't far away, you might check with them to see if they could put you in touch with a living situation.

I'll be back in touch here when I get my grant forms. Best of luck getting ready!

That's good to know about the approximate mailing date of the next round of paperwork. I'm also trying to finish up my dissertation -- I'm working on a group of 14th and 15th-century sacristy reliquary cupboards and have the most archival work left to do in the Veneto, hence being based in Padova. I wonder how many other art historians have Fulbrights this year -- I understand that they were few and far between last year.

I recently started the housing search in earnest, but I agree that it's difficult to decide on something when we don't really know our stipend amount yet. Last year my friend paid 350 Euros/month on her Fulbright money and she seemed to find that affordable. I had some luck contacting the International Ladies Group of Padova (internationalladiiespadova@yahoo.com) regarding possible housing. Since Verona isn't far away, you might check with them to see if they could put you in touch with a living situation.

I'll be back in touch here when I get my grant forms. Best of luck getting ready!

I'm also a Fulbrighter heading to the Veneto in the fall. Most of my work will be with convent archives in Venice, but I will also be doing work with professors in Padova. I'm planning on living in Padova and commuting to Venice as needed. I studied abroad at the Universita degli Studi di Padova, and thus, have quite a bit of familiarity with the city. I'm glad to hear that we are all in the same boat with regard to the lack of communication coming out of Italy. I've been trying to determine whether or not I should go ahead and book my flight, or if I should wait to hear more information from Italy. I'm currently on vacation, so I guess I will wait until I get home to check the mail and then get in touch with someone from Fulbright if necessary.

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad to hear there will be a few other Fulbrighters in the Veneto neighborhood! See you in the fall!