Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

Shelby,

I also gave in and called Jermaine today out of frustration, he told me basically the same thing, was very vague... I did email him about three weeks ago and he said that he was waiting for clearances and approval (I am assuming from the state department?) before sending out the letters. I am a little confused now that he is back to saying they are in the final stages of the selection process... I thought the decisions had been made and were only waiting for approval from background checks, etc. It now sounds like they may be very far back in the process... I have no idea what the hold up could be. I agree it's very irritating especially as we cannot plan anything else and a lot of us are at a point where we have to... my friend who got a Fulbright from Nepal basically told me that the US offices don't really know anything and that I should contact the office in my host country, so I emailed the Egypt director today and asked him if he could tell me anything. I don't expect a reply until Monday because apparently their office is only open Mon-Wed.

There are three others at my school still waiting for notification, so at least we are not the absolute last, but at this point rejected or accepted I would rather just know for sure! I will let you know if the Egyptian office can tell me anything more concrete and good luck!

Thanks for being proactive and checking it out, Emily. I was just about to re-contact Jermaine myself to find out what is going on. I too wonder what could possibly be causing the delay. Hopefully we'll all learn some news before it is too late for any other plans. Bettawfeeq!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

German ETAs:

Does anyone know if we have to follow the Fly America Act? I thought that we did but then I read somewhere else that we had to check on that.

I really hope that we don't. The cheapest flight I can get with an American carrier is $1300. That's just silly, especially considering I could fly with British Airways for $603...

I called Mr. Restrepo about it, so if nobody here knows, we'll know soon enough :)

German ETAs:

Does anyone know if we have to follow the Fly America Act? I thought that we did but then I read somewhere else that we had to check on that.

I really hope that we don't. The cheapest flight I can get with an American carrier is $1300. That's just silly, especially considering I could fly with British Airways for $603...

I called Mr. Restrepo about it, so if nobody here knows, we'll know soon enough :)

For Belgium, we have to fly either US or Belgian carriers. Maybe it's the same for whichever country you're going to...

For Belgium, we have to fly either US or Belgian carriers. Maybe it's the same for whichever country you're going to...

Aww, that stinks. Thanks for the answer and good luck finding a flight (that doesn't go over the allowance)!

Alternate for the German ETA here. I got a REALLY frustrating email from Fulbright a couple days ago. It says:

Dear ----,

Thank you for your email which I also forwarded to PAD.

I herewith would like to confirm that you are very high on the alternate list. In case there is another withdrawal we will move you up to principal status.

Kind regards,

Ines

Ines Horbert

Program Officer

-----------

I know it sounds so awful, but I'm almost MORE upset now, knowing that I was so close! I had just about resigned myself to making other plans for next year and even feeling okay about it. But now, I just feel so anxious all over again, but I'm scared to get my hopes up (sorry to be melodramatic). Does anyone else feel like this right now? Any thoughts on what the chances on this actually happening are?

Aww, that stinks. Thanks for the answer and good luck finding a flight (that doesn't go over the allowance)!

The good thing, though, is that the Fulbright Commission in Belgium just told me to find the cheapest flight, show them the receipt, and they'll reimburse me in euros when I get to Brussels. The euros should be helpful in getting a flatshare and initial move-in things.

Alternate for the German ETA here. I got a REALLY frustrating email from Fulbright a couple days ago. It says:

Dear ----,

Thank you for your email which I also forwarded to PAD.

I herewith would like to confirm that you are very high on the alternate list. In case there is another withdrawal we will move you up to principal status.

Kind regards,

Ines

Ines Horbert

Program Officer

-----------

I know it sounds so awful, but I'm almost MORE upset now, knowing that I was so close! I had just about resigned myself to making other plans for next year and even feeling okay about it. But now, I just feel so anxious all over again, but I'm scared to get my hopes up (sorry to be melodramatic). Does anyone else feel like this right now? Any thoughts on what the chances on this actually happening are?

I'm so sorry. That really sucks. Just keep in mind though, people are finding out their Bundeslaender now and I'm sure there are at least a few people who will turn down the Fulbright if they don't get placed somewhere specific. I even know people from previous years who got their first choice placement, but were then offered jobs and gave up the placement. Good luck, just hang in there!

German ETAs:

well don't they cover up to $1500? and we don't get to earn any difference between the $1500 and the cost of your flight. so really even if we do have to follow the fly america act and that's the closes flight you can get, it's their problem

well don't they cover up to $1500? and we don't get to earn any difference between the $1500 and the cost of your flight. so really even if we do have to follow the fly america act and that's the closes flight you can get, it's their problem

They cover up to $1200 and sadly, $100 is a lot to me. Of course I'll pay it if I have to, but it's just frustrating to know there's flights out there for half the price.

I'm with Erindn. I had to follow the Fly America Act, and was finding flights upwards of $1300 (to the Czech Republic) on American carriers, vs. $600 or so on British Airways or Lufthansa.

our travel allowance from the CR is $2000, but of course there's the expense of a hotel...the CR is paying for our accommodations during the orientation, obviously, but it'll take me longer than that to find a suitable apartment... in any case, I ended up paying $1050 for my flight through STA travel (student/teacher discount). But it does seem ridiculous to me to even pay that much when, as I said, there were lots of flights on European carriers for under $1000. What I don't get is how the American carriers can charge so much? How do they get any passengers? It's absurd.

Perhaps I'm mistaken... but either STA only uses American Flag Carriers, or the agent we're supposed to contact will only book us American Flag Carrier flights.

I think it's ridiculous as well. STA is supposed to be a cheap online agency for students, but nearly every other site (Orbitz, Expedia) has cheaper flight options because of the other airline options.

just an FYI regarding Fly America...I waanted to let you guys know that there IS something of a minor loophole, that being, if a connecting European carrier is partnered w/ an American one, you can use it. For instance, many of the flights I was looking at on Orbitz, Expedia, etc., started on an American carrier, flew to Frankfurt or Vienna, then switched to a European carrier for instance Czech Air or Lufthansa. Now, ordinarily that would not be allowable as you're required (and I got this straight from Rachel Holskin) to fly American as far as possible to your destination. What this means is, if there were two flights, one on United connecting in Frankfurt for $1000, then switching to Czech Air, and one on Delta flying nonstop to Prague for $2300, you'd have to take the Delta flight. You'd only be allowed to take the United flight IF NO FLIGHT IS AVAILABLE on an American carrier to your destination. HOWEVER, if you can get a United (or Delta or Continental) flight number for all legs of the trip, you're good. So, although my flight originates on UNited and switches to Lufthansa, I was able to get a UNited flight number for the Luft. flight as it's operating as a partner. So, make sure you ask about this!! This really saved me a lot of money. Good luck!!

I'm finding the same thing maisie112--The cheapest flight for me is US Airways which codeshares with Lufthansa for flights to Germany (I've done a similar thing with them and also Delta before). I'm finding a lot of flights out there for under $700. My favorite site is kayak.com which searches all the major discount sites and airlines for you.

Perhaps I'm mistaken... but either STA only uses American Flag Carriers, or the agent we're supposed to contact will only book us American Flag Carrier flights.

Yes but what are you basing this on? By the way I see deals on the STA website all the time. There was a one-way to Frankfurt for ~$400, for example.

I wrote Fulbright Germany and they said that I do NOT need to follow the Fly America guidelines. I'm not sure if this is true for all German grantees, the ETAs, or maybe just me because of the issue with it being twice as expensive. I definitely recommend contacting the Commission, like the letter says. I don't want anyone to book a flight and then have to end up paying for it because they had to follow the guidelines.

Where does it say we have to follow the Fly America Act? For Germany Research I'm pretty sure it just says contact STA.

On page 5 of Circular I, under Item 8b it says, "Please contact the Commission regarding travel arrangements, including whether the Fly America guideline must be followed for your travel."

I've called the number listed for us to contact at STA Travel several times and every single time, the person didn't really know what Fly America was and had no idea if we had to follow it.

STA Travels offers a lot of non-American flag carriers, which was why it's so frustrating. They are much cheaper than the American ones!

I just booked my ticket and here's a tip: For the ticket I booked, you have to be a student or 25 or under when you return. He said that you don't have to take classes full-time to be considered a student, and you don't have to have any proof of being a student either. Just so you all know...

All I had to pay for was the ISIC card but I read that this is reimbursable. Good luck to everyone else!

I just booked my ticket and here's a tip: For the ticket I booked, you have to be a student or 25 or under when you return. He said that you don't have to take classes full-time to be considered a student, and you don't have to have any proof of being a student either. Just so you all know...

All I had to pay for was the ISIC card but I read that this is reimbursable. Good luck to everyone else!

Were you able to find a ticket that accommodated your return date? I'm supposed to be in Belgium through June 30th and can't find anything yet. Does STA go that far out if you go into the store? Online it won't let me search that far in advance.

Were you able to find a ticket that accommodated your return date? I'm supposed to be in Belgium through June 30th and can't find anything yet. Does STA go that far out if you go into the store? Online it won't let me search that far in advance.

No, not really. STA Travel will only allow us/them to book as far as April 8. I went to a STA Travel store to buy a ticket for a year long exchange and they still told me they could only do 330 days. They'll book the return for whatever the latest available date is, and then you have to change it before that date for $50 and any applicable airline fees. At least that's how it works when you get one of their special "Blue" tickets, or I think it's what they now call STA exclusive tickets.

For German ETAs (especially going to Berlin): are you planning on arriving to Berlin early to set up housing before the orientation? I was originally planning on just flying to Cologne on September 5th, but now I am getting nervous about housing in Berlin! What are your plans? Also, would anyone be interested in potentially searching for/going in on housing with me? I studied abroad in Berlin last spring and I know the city pretty well which might help in the search. And of course, if you are interested we can talk further. Either way, let me know how you set up your travel and your plans to find housing.

For German ETAs (especially going to Berlin): are you planning on arriving to Berlin early to set up housing before the orientation? I was originally planning on just flying to Cologne on September 5th, but now I am getting nervous about housing in Berlin! What are your plans? Also, would anyone be interested in potentially searching for/going in on housing with me? I studied abroad in Berlin last spring and I know the city pretty well which might help in the search. And of course, if you are interested we can talk further. Either way, let me know how you set up your travel and your plans to find housing.

Hey. I'm going to Berlin as well. The largest problem I've encountered when searching for housing is finding an affordable furnished apartment (I can't justify spending a bunch of money on furniture that I'll only use for a little while, nor can I see myself hauling beds and sofas home from flee markets alone). I've found a few things, but I'm not about to rent something before I know where I'll be teaching. Anyway... contact me via messages (to my inbox) and I'll send you my e-mail.

hey guys,

2 weeks ago I recieved a call from IEE saying that they have a ETA spot opened and if I'd be interested, and of course I said yes. Holskng told me should would contact me by the middle of the week. I called and then she got mad and said "you don't have to call, I'll call you" Two weeks has passed and no phone calls. I am tempted to call but she sounded angry last time. Do you think that the reason she hasn't called because the funding didn't go through. What do you think I should do? I remember her sayng she was 70% sure that funding would go through. When my adviser called her last week to check on my status her response was "she wasn't allowed to say." If anyone has any ideas or experiences please share because I need some advice