Cognitive Neuroscience PhD: Undergrad major question

Undecided86

Hello,

Over the last year I've become increasingly interested in applying to cognitive neuroscience/psych PhDs and am curious if anyone knows what type of undergraduate demographics generally enter this field. From the research I've done, it seems a significant amount of neuro/biological sciences majors apply rather than the majority being Psych (which makes plenty of sense). My concern is that I would be at a huge disadvantage with little bio coursework and experience. Can anyone offer advice on whether it is more difficult to gain acceptance and excel in these programs without a hard science or neuropsych background? I have about 1.5 years work experience in a molecular biology lab, but the work is primarily technician oriented. Thanks for any input.

Yes, general psych. I've taken a good amount of/been interested in evolutionary psych but they don't really offer any formal specialization at my school. Really just trying to determine if cog. neuroscience is realistic at all or if cognition itself would be more practical.

I say to start researching ALL programs that look interesting and well-matched to your area(s) of interest, and then narrow it down from there. If your favorite topic is being studies by a neuroscientist and you can make a case for yourself, why not try? When I was thinking along similar lines, I remember seeing a number of unique interdisciplinary neuroscience programs that took folks from all sorts of backgrounds. Maybe pick up whatever hard science electives you can in the time you have left (IF you have time left) and then just focus on explaining your background and goals as eloquently and meaningfully as possible. For what it's worth, I got into a Biomedical Anthropology MS program with a Psych undergrad and only a few science-focused courses...but a lot of determination and enthusiasm. Good luck!!

I'm in a similar field (behavioral neuro). I was a psych major, but was able to minor in neuroscience. However, several of the people with whom I interviewed (and who were accepted) were just psych majors. Does your university offer any biopsych or physiological psych courses? If you are able, you could try to pick up an intro neuro or bio class. If you have the opportunity to work/volunteer in a cognitive neuro lab, that would help too. Honestly, I would just find programs/professors you're interested in working with, and send them an email with a brief summary of your background, express your interest in their work/program, and ask if they'll be taking grad students for whatever semester you want to apply.

Hey Undecided86, I am actually in the same place as you are--I have a traditional psych background and am interested in experimental cognition but I am now really looking into neurocognition and I asked myself the same question a few months ago. So, I'll just tell you a bit about what I have been told. I second 3point14 on trying to take more biopsych-type classes and some of my professors have suggested a computer science class or two. I don't think you're at a disadvantage because of your major-- I know traditional psych students who end up in neurocognition doctoral programs. I know a professor at Duke who does neurocognition work who told me that he is actually okay with taking students with a strong experimental psychology background.

So I guess this would boil down to the research experience on your CV. Do you have a cognitive psych background that is apparent in your research? If so, you may be more prepared that you think you are. Regardless, volunteer in a lab that uses neuroimaging methods and is investigating questions you find interesting. I think, in the end, the research experience is going to be more important than the course work.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest recommendation would be to volunteer in a cognitive neuroscience lab. That'll do you more good than molecular bio. The experience will let you know if you're into all the little details that go into cog neuro work. It would also behoove you to email some PIs that you'd be interested in studying under to ask them what kind of stuff would make you a strong applicant to work in their labs. I think 3point14 said all of that stuff, but hopefully hearing 2 people saying it makes a difference.