Social - Anyone getting in anywhere?

jennesy

Is anyone getting into social programs? It doesn't sound like they are admitting many people to social programs this year. I've applied to 10 schools and have gotten 7 responses, all rejections, so far. I have pretty good credentials (incl. 4 years of research experience and 1 year of teaching psych methods) and am really frustrated that I haven't gotten in anywhere yet! From what I've heard lots of places are taking maybe 1 student this year. Has anyone heard anything else?

I applied to three social, three evolutionary and one biopsychology. 2 rejections for social, one acceptance from bio, no word really from ev. I will probably take my offer because it's really good, but yeah, it doesn't seem that social programs are really taking a lot of people.

Guest guest

If it makes you feel better, you know misery loves company, I have heard from 3- all rejections- and all in the last week. I think it's time I gave up on NYU.... I'm still waiting on 2, one I had an interview with and the other school the assistant let me know that the reviewed apps late, however, they did let some people know they were in last week and notified most that were rejected... which most likely means I'm on some sort of wait list

wow...I umm...post too much. I realized I started 2 threads on nearly the same issue. I think the peak of my freak out mode came on Monday. I'm surprisingly calm today. 8)

I applied to 6 soc psy and 2 human development depts. I got in both HD and only 1 social (at CUNY, but not with full funding). still waiting on NUY and Rutgers (but I'm guessing rejections). so yeah, it definitely looks like it was a bad year for soc psy applicants

good luck with the last 3 schools jennesy

Bianca - maybe you're waitlisted? If you call the dept. someone there (I spoke with Ann) will tell you your app status. The info on the website was updated the day after I called, although I don't think the two are correlated. (Or maybe they just get annoyed with people who call and reject us...)

yeah, I know I can call, but I don't wanna annoy them more than necessary. I've already decided I'm going somewhere else, but I'm just curious about the last 2 schools I've applied to. so I'll patiently wait for them to contact me. sorry about your rejection

Guest anothersocialkid

It may just be where I applied, but several schools have said they received more than double the number of applications they had last year. Combine that with ever-shrinking funding for social psych, and it's no wonder it seems like everybody's getting rejected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I applied to 15 social programs, and got into one. I was also wait listed at one school, but have since been rejected.

Someone else I know applied to 18 social programs, and got into one.

All the while, going into this process back I kept hearing about how competitive my application package was from the professors writing my letters of recommendations.

This is a rough, rough year.

I applied to 6 soc psy and 2 human development depts. I got in both HD and only 1 social (at CUNY, but not with full funding). still waiting on NUY and Rutgers (but I'm guessing rejections). so yeah, it definitely looks like it was a bad year for soc psy applicants

good luck with the last 3 schools jennesy

Rutgers New Brunswick? They had interviews on Feb 20th, six people attended, all accept one were applying to work with Laurie Rudman or Diana Sanchez (as they were the faculty planning to take students). In the end Diana decided she couldn't take a student this year (due to getting a fellowship that will require her to live in NYC for the next year). I believe Laurie notified the student/s she decided to take. So yeah, I believe they only accepted 1-3 students in the end.

All the while, going into this process back I kept hearing about how competitive my application package was from the professors writing my letters of recommendations.

This is what I heard, too, and wasn't accepted to any of the soc psych PhD programs to which I applied. Several profs told me I wouldn't have any trouble getting accepted to a PhD program (one even said I'd be competitive for any program in the nation, and I only applied to one top ten school). I did get into an MA program, but the funding wasn't great, and I'm now headed for a funded PhD in sociology instead.