How important are foreign languages for English MA/PhD program admissions?

I know that having advanced reading skills in a foreign language (or two) is a requirement of many (most? all?) English programs. This concerns me because while I'm proficient at reading and writing Italian (which I took in high school and did my undergrad proficiency requirement in), my undergraduate grades barely reflect that. I got a C and a C+ in the two semesters I had to take in undergrad not because I can't read or write the language--I actually can do both quite well--but because I struggle with a bad case of generalized anxiety disorder that makes it difficult to speak in front of a class in English and therefore extremely difficult for me to do so in a second language. Participation, oral presentations, and oral exams were worth 30% in each of the semesters I took Italian in college. I considered applying for accommodations from the university but this was during the second semester of my freshman year and the first semester of my sophomore year and I really just wanted to get the requirement out of the way (applying for accommodations would have delayed it for a semester or two). I also didn't have a therapist at the time and was trying to work through my anxiety and depression without professional help, which was stupid and immature (and is a whole other issue).

What I'm wondering is how bad this is in terms of admissions to English MA or PhD programs. Obviously, having Cs on my transcript is not ideal--and it's worse because it's in an area that's part of the graduate programs I'm interested in, right? I realize how competitive admissions are. Is this the sort of thing that will make adcoms take one look at my transcript and just toss out my file?

I'm not really looking for only reassurance or conformation of my fears, despite how the first two paragraphs sounded. Is there anything I should do to make it not look as bad? What would help?

Hi sfh09,

Are you applying for English or Comp Lit? While Comp Lit programs expect you to have high foreign language competency upon admission, most English programs that I have researched just expect (decent) competency within the first year or two--meaning you could supplement or take courses after you are admitted. It's true that C grades don't look awesome on a transcript, but your overall GPA and your English grades will be far more important, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may want to mention in a sentence or two (no more than two) in your SoP (or maybe in your CV?) that you are actually quite good at Italian, but that your transcript doesn't reflect that. Good luck!

:)

English. I guess I'm worried about it because I'm worried it'll make it seem like I struggle with languages and will have trouble fulfilling the requirements for a program I attend. I don't want them to think achieving that competency would be a chronic issue for me within the first few years.

Duke's website says this regarding language requirements post-admission (and I'm assuming it's rather reflective of other programs):

Our program requires foreign language proficiency in at least one language. We ask that the student establish this proficiency by the end of the third semester in the program, either by certifying a grade of "B" or better in a literature course conducted in the language at another college or university within two years of matriculating at Duke, or by successfully completing one of the departmentally approved language courses for graduate students at Duke. Other methods of certifying proficiency may be allowed at the discretion of the Director of Graduate Studies.

It sounds like that's well within your ability to do, but you may just have to assert that to them in your SoP or something.

The whole process is scary, regardless of your grades. Don't get paralyzed by a grade or two and lose time you could spend bolstering your application in other ways.

Just try to cultivate a swollen sense of entitlement. Be the cool guy at the party, and everyone will believe you.

(If only... :unsure: )

I'm definitely not letting it prevent me from working hard on the rest of my application--I'm definitely focusing on what I can control at this point (SOP, WS) rather than my grades, since those are already determined. I mean, I'm terrified of the whole process but it just seems to make more sense to focus on what I can control.

Thanks guys!

I'd explain briefly the C grades in your SOP. Some graduate programs expect you to have some language proficiency prior to matriculation--Duke Literature immediately comes to mind, although I know that there are others.

Can any of your recommenders speak to your proficiency in Italian? If you explain the circumstances to them, just as you have to us, would any of them be willing and able to mention that your grades in these courses do not reflect your ability?

Good luck!

What is the opinion on applying to lit programs and not having a reading/writing ability yet? I know we have to take proficiency courses, but what if we do not already have that under our belt? Do you think it will hinder acceptance? I don't have any notable foreign language ability. I took 2 Spanish courses in undergrad (received B in courses) and have a very basic understanding. Not anything I would probably indicate that I have proficiency. Should I indicate on applications that I have a basic undersanding in Spanish?

Edited by BruisedHibiscus

Can any of your recommenders speak to your proficiency in Italian? If you explain the circumstances to them, just as you have to us, would any of them be willing and able to mention that your grades in these courses do not reflect your ability?

Good luck!

It's possible that at least one would be willing to, as every professor I've had is familiar with my struggles with anxiety and wouldn't exactly be surprised that this was an issue. My only worry is that none of them intimately know what my skill level is in Italian and therefore might not be willing to speak to it. At least one, though, will probably address the fact that I do have these problems and that I try hard to overcome them--I haven't approached any profs yet, but since it's been a pervasive part of my undergrad career, I'm sure it'll come up. Maybe that would help when coupled with what I say about it in my SOP?

As far as the necessity of language prep prior to admission goes, it depends on the program and it depends on your proposed area of study. Stanford, if I recall correctly, uses a lack of language skill to weed applicants out. Carolina has in the past indicated that they like to see a good faith effort to acquire languages prior to admission, but don't expect an applicant to be ready to pass an exam right away. At other programs, prior language acquisition is a plus, but not expected at the time of admission. Some areas of focus will necessarily demand that you show language skill for admission, regardless of the general standards of the department for incoming grad students. If you are applying as a medievalist, for example, solid language preparation (especially in Latin) is more or less a prerequisite for admission to most programs. That's somewhat true of Renaissance folks, as well, though they tend not to be quite as intense about languages as the medievalists.

N.B. The above is drawn from my general experience with and understanding of English PhD programs, not MA programs or other kinds of departments.

My program only requires that I either have the necessary credits from undergrad or that I can pass a proficiency test. If I can't do either of those, then I'd have to take classes to get where I need to be. I took 3 semesters of Spanish in college, and I got either a C or C+ in it, but it didn't seem to have any effect on my admission to grad school.

Are you hoping to become a professor? I would be worried that your anxiety disorder would make teaching hellish for you.

This is nonsense. Anxiety makes everything harder - there's no reason why it would be worse for teaching. It might depend on your own personal experience with your anxiety, but I find teaching fairly calming. Professors are notoriously neurotic. It's okay. You're in good company.

Edited by asleepawake

Are you hoping to become a professor? I would be worried that your anxiety disorder would make teaching hellish for you.

This is nonsense. Anxiety makes everything harder - there's no reason why it would be worse for teaching. It might depend on your own personal experience with your anxiety, but I find teaching fairly calming. Professors are notoriously neurotic. It's okay. You're in good company.

Believe me, I've considered this. I've agonized over it. I've come to the conclusion that I should be okay, though. As I stated in my original post, at the time of the issues with Italian, I wasn't doing any therapy. I've since started seeing a psychologist and taking medication and I'm doing a lot better. I have it under control right now and I know how to deal with it if it gets out of control again.

Italian was especially bad for me because it's a foreign language. I had almost no confidence in my ability to speak it well which made my anxiety worse than it usually is. I don't think that teaching will be the same because I hope that i'll be more confident with the subject matter than I was when attempting to speak Italian. I also have a much easier time when I'm passionate about what I'm talking about, as if feeling like I have something important and meaningful to say outweighs being too afraid to say it. That's why I've always had a much easier time in English classes.

Finally, any career would be hard for me. I work in a dining hall on campus right now and that makes me anxious. As asleepawake said, anxiety makes everything harder. I have to do something with my life, though, and I really believe that going to grad school and eventually getting a PhD in English and becoming a professor is one of the better options for me because at least it's something I really care about. It will make me feel anxious. That's unavoidable. At least I'll be excited about what I'm doing and want to push through the anxiety in order to do it. I'm terrified of applying to grad school and anxious about putting my application together, but I also love doing the research I'm doing for a revamped writing sample as well as trying to figure out where I want to apply and why. As long as I can still find a reason to care about what I'm doing, I'll be fine.

(Disclaimer: typing out this post might have been as much to reassure myself as to get my point across ;))

As far as the necessity of language prep prior to admission goes, it depends on the program and it depends on your proposed area of study. Stanford, if I recall correctly, uses a lack of language skill to weed applicants out. Carolina has in the past indicated that they like to see a good faith effort to acquire languages prior to admission, but don't expect an applicant to be ready to pass an exam right away. At other programs, prior language acquisition is a plus, but not expected at the time of admission. Some areas of focus will necessarily demand that you show language skill for admission, regardless of the general standards of the department for incoming grad students. If you are applying as a medievalist, for example, solid language preparation (especially in Latin) is more or less a prerequisite for admission to most programs. That's somewhat true of Renaissance folks, as well, though they tend not to be quite as intense about languages as the medievalists.

N.B. The above is drawn from my general experience with and understanding of English PhD programs, not MA programs or other kinds of departments.

This basically says everything that I wanted to say, perhaps more, and certainly more succinctly. But I will add slightly to Phill Sparrow's remarks. ;)

Speaking in a general sense, the more elite the institution is, the more likely you'll be expected to know a language or two prior to matriculation. I'd imagine that this would especially apply to programs that require a reading knowledge or better in 2-3 languages, like Harvard and especially Yale. There are anomalies though, such as the University of Chicago, which requires only a reading knowledge in one language.

Edited by Two Espressos

With having a limited ability in a language should I mention it in my SOP or place on applications? I've heard most applications ask about this. Would I be hurting myself to not put a language on there? To be more specific in my ability, I can understand quite a bit (listening and reading), but I CANNOT speak it.

I'm terrified of applying to grad school and anxious about putting my application together, but I also love doing the research I'm doing for a revamped writing sample as well as trying to figure out where I want to apply and why. As long as I can still find a reason to care about what I'm doing, I'll be fine.

(Disclaimer: typing out this post might have been as much to reassure myself as to get my point across ;))

You have lots of support here! No worries :)

Some of my closest friends have anxiety disorders and have, with some struggle, done very well in grad school and beyond! You'll be fine.

I think one point to really take home, though, is that you should never, EVER hesitate to contact the school's student services centre with issues such as yours when you get in (see when, not if!). Most, if not all, schools are pretty good and have established staff and policies for counselling or accommodations. It's unfortunate that your undergrad school had such a poor system of accommodation...

In any case, something as easy as even speaking to your prof at the time, perhaps explaining your situation and proposing to orally present something during office hours instead of in front of the class could help.

Good luck!

You have lots of support here! No worries :)

Some of my closest friends have anxiety disorders and have, with some struggle, done very well in grad school and beyond! You'll be fine.

I think one point to really take home, though, is that you should never, EVER hesitate to contact the school's student services centre with issues such as yours when you get in (see when, not if!). Most, if not all, schools are pretty good and have established staff and policies for counselling or accommodations. It's unfortunate that your undergrad school had such a poor system of accommodation...

In any case, something as easy as even speaking to your prof at the time, perhaps explaining your situation and proposing to orally present something during office hours instead of in front of the class could help.

Good luck!

Thank you! For the when in particular...I have at least a few moments of absolute panic every day :mellow: . Sometimes I just need someone to throw a when in there when talking about my plans to counteract all of my "if a miracle happens and I manage to get in." (And yes, I am aware that it is only July).

Edited by sfh09

This basically says everything that I wanted to say, perhaps more, and certainly more succinctly. But I will add slightly to Phill Sparrow's remarks. ;)

Speaking in a general sense, the more elite the institution is, the more likely you'll be expected to know a language or two prior to matriculation. I'd imagine that this would especially apply to programs that require a reading knowledge or better in 2-3 languages, like Harvard and especially Yale. There are anomalies though, such as the University of Chicago, which requires only a reading knowledge in one language.

This might be true, but from my experience with the application process, even elite institutions aren't too strict about languages. I've taken the equivalent of two years of college German and nothing else, and I was admitted to Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Penn, and a few others. Yale did reject me, and they seemed to list the most stringent requirements--but all in all, I think I worried a lot more than I needed to about my language prep.