University of Michigan

timuralp

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am applying to graduate school (master's programs) to enroll fall 2009. I am only applying to one school (Michigan) because I am affiliated here. Michigan has awesome dual-degree opportunities.

I would like to get to know other grad students at University of Michigan (any program, but if you're interested in Social Work and Information, that's extra cool!)

It's nice to join this forum!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What is a good strategy for forming/finding study groups?

I'd go with talk to people in your lab and meet people the first few days. If the class allows for collaboration, you guys could definitely work on stuff together.

How does one go about finding people with common interest in Ann Arbor (Hiking and Boardgames)?

There are a bunch of clubs at U-M and I would look through those. You can just search the U-M website.

Which bars do graduate students tend to frequent?

Depends on the students and what you're interested in. If you're looking for dancing/club kinda deal, Live at PJs, Fifth Quarter, Rush Street (prepare for overdressed people on occasion), Millennium club. Bar Louie, Arena, and Sportskeepers, as well as BWW are pretty good places to see the game (whichever one you're trying to catch. I managed to convince BWW to show Minnesota vs Iowa :P). If you're looking for a good beer and to hang out, try Grizzly Peak (brewery), Arbor Brewing Company (brewery), Heidelberg (german beer), or Ashley's (undergrads abound, but good selection from all over). There are a bunch of other places on central campus, but I wouldn't recommend them... Although Blue Leprechaun has the cheapest fish& chips I've found.

Hey timuralp,

I'll be starting in Ann Arbor this fall for psychology. How does the first fall usually go?

Is there a lot of fraternizing among the new graduate students across the university or mainly among different departments? How did yours go?

There's the rackham orientation - not very useful. Your program will have an orientation too - go to that. After that, just be friendly, meet people. Most that you'll meet will be in your department probably and sadly. I ended up joining things like the wine club to try to make friends outside the program. Your mileage may vary. Try going to some football games - occasionally people meet there, although half of the students are not entirely coherent. You can friend me on facebook if you want, then you'll have 1 friend outside the program :)

As far as mine, I'm in CS and we're pretty anti-social, sadly. So, I actually made friends on the visit weekend with some biomedical engineers, had a friend in biochem, and met people in ME. I didn't really make any friends in CS that I hang out with until maybe second semester. I like to think that's not the norm and that psych people will be more social :)

Hi, I will be attending UM this fall. I was wondering if anyone is going to the Summer Institute. I'm torn between taking the time to spend with my family and friends vs. gaining additional experience and the opportunity to acclimate before the year begins. Any insights? I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi, I will be attending UM this fall. I was wondering if anyone is going to the Summer Institute. I'm torn between taking the time to spend with my family and friends vs. gaining additional experience and the opportunity to acclimate before the year begins. Any insights? I would greatly appreciate it!

I've been debating the same thing. I wish there was some way to put it off until next year but my department's saying the summer program funding would only be guaranteed this summer. Seems like a good way to settle in to Ann Arbor and meet some other students, but it looks like I'll have to stay in LA to finish up a project and make some extra moving $$$.

If I can, I'll try to get out there. Good luck w/ the decision.

I'm a fellow soon-to-be UM'er :) I'll only be around for two or three years though.

Any other Ford School people? Sounds like there's a lot of North Campus degrees in this thread...

See you all in late August/early September!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I've started the good ole' craigslist search and a little confused. I was told the neighborhoods I should look at are Kerrytown and the Old West Side. I was wondering if anyone had a handle on how much a bedroom in a house would normally cost to rent in those areas -- nothing over-the-top, just a nice large-ish bedroom in a 3-5 person house. I mean, I don't want a luxury apartment or anything, but would prefer to stay away from undergrad housing and be within easy walking distance of central campus...

any tips/suggestions/thoughts on rent?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use