Already Feel Like A Slacker...

ferhin

So, through some miracle, I survived the stress of the application process and somehow haggled my way into my top pick school. I have made "the big move" half way across the country and did not go crazy or need butt surgery after the two-day drive. The semester has not officially started, but, after the suggestion of a few professors, I have decided to get a head start reading (I was going to do it anyway). The issue is: I am struggling between the desire to enjoy my last summer (I didn't even feel this way before I got married) and my desire to start the semester strong; I believe my discipline is suffering for it. The semester hasn't started yet, but I feel like I am sinking already. How are people managing their pre-semester time? Is anyone struggling with the "but-it's-my-last-free-summer blues" (more like road/motivation block)?

The funny thing is grad school is causing me to already look forward to next summer, because (while I will be doing something productive, I'm sure) it will be the first time I have some sort of summer vacation since I started working 5 years ago.

I know what you mean about feeling like a slacker though. On prof has been gracious enough to meet with me mutiple times this summer related to a book he recommended, and twice now I've been finishing the reading last minute. :-/

Grad school is a long process, and as the cliche goes: it's a marathon, not a sprint. There really isn't a rush, in my opinion, to start full time right away. Grad school is also about time management. Maybe you can take this opportunity to practice -- decide how much time you want to spend reading/doing work this month and make sure you stick to it and manage your time spent working as well as "playing".

Thanks for all of the advice!

Grad school is a long process, and as the cliche goes: it's a marathon, not a sprint. There really isn't a rush, in my opinion, to start full time right away. Grad school is also about time management. Maybe you can take this opportunity to practice -- decide how much time you want to spend reading/doing work this month and make sure you stick to it and manage your time spent working as well as "playing".

Instead of jumping in "full time" (I set a goal to do 8-10 hours of reading each day), perhaps I will "practice" with an abbreviated work goal these last few weeks.

8-10hr each day?? I envy your motivation!

So, I'mma tell you my problem. I can go on vacation and/or take days off...but I often have a nagging feeling in the back of my head when I do...and this feeling is from the guilt I have about not doing work. How I combat this is that I say, 'I will do XX hours of work on Saturday, so I can take Friday night and Sunday off'. If I do the work, then I am completely free of that nagging feeling!

I would suggest that you say you will spend 1 day a week doing work- I would not do it at home, but in the library of your school if you can, or a coffee shop. Take yourself out of your comfort zone and place of relaxation, and put in a solid days work. Then when you are done, you can feel completely relaxed and satisfied that you accomplished something!

Thank you to all of you. I've been having what might be (I've never experienced them before, so I wouldn't know) panic attacks these past few weeks now that I'm here and ready for grad school to begin. I feel like I should be getting my NSF proposal ready, or struggling to get started on reading textbooks, or something like that. But at the same time, I haven't rewarded myself with "down time" since long before undergrad--I've always had an office job or two for every day not in school. Now I want to curl up and read books, play with my new kittens, cook while listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks...and then I feel terribly guilty for doing so.