How do I impress my future adviser when I messed up

I just received the last of my course reviews for last quarter, and the professor (who I want SO BADLY to be my advisor) was not impressed with my overall performance in the class. She had some nice things to say, but the overall gist was that my final project "had potential"...which I think is a thinly disguised way of saying she hated it... and that I contributed very little to the discussion. Super harsh...

So...my question is...how do I rectify this bad first impression? I really want to work with her.

So, first, if she thinks your project had potential, that doesn't mean she hated it. At worst it means she thinks you had a good idea but your execution left something to be desired. At worst. As for the rest, I think you impress her by showing that you want to improve. See if you can set up a meeting with her and ask what you can do to improve. Be honest: tell her you're trying hard, but you're not sure how to proceed to improve your work and your performance, and that you value her advice. And then, when she gives it, see if you can turn it into tangible things you can do to improve, and do them. In my experience, the desire to improve and the ability to follow through are more impressive than performance in a single class.

I think the best thing for you to do is what ladyling has suggested. Meet with her and say that you're interested in working with her, and have looked at her reviews of your current work/performance, and would like to know how you can improve so that she would consider working with you. All you can do is go chat with her, show you accept her remakes and want to learn how to improve the things she commented on. Showing that you can take feedback and learn from it, and are motivated and excited to work with her are all positives!

If she's generally reserved, then her choice of words for your project "has potential" are invaluable. She's basically encouraging you to pursue it further for a future publication and may be open to working with you. So go in and say, "Hi, I'm curious. What do you mean by this project has potential? Can you elaborate a bit? I really like this project a lot but i'm not sure..." Make her feel useful.