Any ways to improve GRE score in one night?

villina

(Just kidding.)

I passed GRE recently and got 152 on Quant and 154 on Verbal. I have not yet seen percentiles and AW score.

Now, I am going to retake it at least twice, as time permits and as one should not necessarily show all the scores at once, as on previous version of the exam.

I used Kaplan and Magoosh, perused Barron's book with 1100 words, and toyed with the application Painless GRE for Android (all fine resources). Did I miss some other highly useful things?

My actual test scores highly correlated with ETS practice (I did 154/154 on the last), and were little higher than on Kaplan practices, which might support the claim that Kaplan makes things just a little bit more difficult.

Among unexpected things on a test, were at least 5 questions on standart deviation, which I had not see on Kaplan at all and have not checked yet on Magoosh, maybe Magoosh has something. Also there was one text completion from which I was not able to make any sense even after the test.

I read a lot, but it looks like I should read twice as much to be able to score above 160. My improvement on Kaplan practices in previous half of a year was very slow. If this rate will persevere, I will not be able to score high. I have one month before retaking, and two months before final effort, which I plan maybe for too late (the middle of October).

I actually planned to start the application in September. Can I finish the application and say - I will report scores later? Will it undermine my chances, or, on the contrary, will allow them to look more carefully on the rest part of the application, as scores are not the strongest part of it?

So, do you have any thoughts about the early application and later sent scores, and is there any additional ways to improve these scores in two months? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Congratulations.

On the ETS practice, you're talking about the one in the guide or the Powerprep ones?

About standart deviation, it seems strange that Kaplan, Manhattan and McGraw Hill are very limited on it. ETS shows the awful way to calculate it (the one using the sum of the averages and etc.) which is of no use during the exam.

It was only on Princeton Review where I found them explaining the idea in a normal distribution and the +-sigmas and percentages related to it.

Yes, I mean the Powerprep, first full-time practice. Since it so neatly correlated with actual test, I think I will save the second one for the last week before my second effort.

Thank you for the information about standart deviation, probably, Princeton Review has some internet-access with full-time practices, too?

I studied about 5 weeks for the GRE. It was sort of spur of the moment that I decided to take it, so I hadn't done a lot of research on it beforehand (as far as best books, good study strategies, etc.).

I'm a pretty calculated person, but because I wasn't able to do my due diligence this time around, I kind of went into the GRE head first. Because of this, I ended up going with a similar strategy that I used for the ACT. That particular strategy consisted of doing countless practice tests from the "best" (as deemed by both myself and the consensus on collegeconfidential) resources available and reviewing BOTH right/wrong answers following each timed practice test.

However, I don't think you can do that with the GRE, at least not initially.

The GRE has too many types of tricks to get you with no matter what problem type we're talking about. With QR, I recommend using a site like Magoosh or some other resource to learn the fundamentals of each and every type of math problem. From there, do countless problems on different problem types (like exponents, for example) until you have "mastered" it to the point that you're getting at least 8 or 9 out of every 10 of that specific problem-type right. Then, move on to the next one. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

After you have become proficient at each of these problem types, I would then advise that you begin taking full-length, timed QR practice sets and reviewing both right and wrong answers after doing so to reinforce what you already know and to learn from your mistakes.

If you go into it like I did and think you just need to take countless PTs, you will get nowhere and see only minimal improvement because you're not doing enough of any one type of problem to become proficient in it. You may take 4 practice sets, but you might only do 7 or 8 exponential problems. That's not enough to be "great" at any one area. Such a strategy will only make you "mediocre" at any one area because you're not doing enough practice with respect to that type of problem.

As far as Verbal goes, that's something that has to be improved over the long term to see a drastic score increase. You could probably study a few thousand words over, say, an 8-week period and do well on the vocabulary parts of the sets. But, if reading comprehension is what you have issues with, then you are unlikely to make significant strides in a short time period. That kind of thing takes a lot of time to improve upon, in my opinion.

True, because these preparation practices are so lengthy, I did not really checked the answers. I only checked the answers when I did separate questions on Kaplan and Magoosh. This is a good idea to start mastering conceptions by heart from one to second and then from second to third.

I still have a feeling that vocabulary is a big part of success on Verbal part. I only started to learn words about a month ago. I was a confident opponent of learning words, because it only gives you false experience, not a real one, which you can gain through reading. However, prior I saw a question with five words as the variants of an answer, and only knew one or two of them, now I do not know one or two. Not so drastic improvement as I would like to have, but at least something.

Edited by villina

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I tried the practice test and got exactly the same, 152 Q and 154 V (on Kaplan). I tried also Manhattan and got 152 in Q and 156 on V.

It is the fail! I am going to retake in the middle of September, there is no way I can significantly improve those scores in the remaining two weeks. On Verbal, I've got most of the sentence equivalence and text completion questions right (it is only because of the studying of the words, I bought nice book 'Verbal Advantage' by Charles H. Elster), but somehow I failed most of the text comprehension questions. Previously I mostly struggled with sentence equivalence type of questions, now it seems that 'comprehension' will be most difficult. I understand texts but fail to give right answers. :angry:

In math the picture is always the same: I have most of the problems right in the first part, and in second one, which is usually more complicated, I fail almost everything.

It is interesting that I did a lot of studying, I feel that I am doing better and better still, but it does not affect my scores at all.

I am haggard by the end of the writings sections already, not to mention first 2 sections of Q and V. I miss even medium difficulty questions in the last sections, which I definitely can solve, as I do not miss them in the beginning. -/

I am discombobulated. I have a temptation of throwing all attempts to prepare whatsoever. Have no idea what else should I do in order to crack this exam, which turned out to be so difficult to me. As long as I apply some dilligence, I can defeat it - that's what I thought. However, it actually looks as though I should study for another year or two simply to hit the inaccessible '160' line! :angry: How on earth do you do that?! Of course, I was very ignorant half of the year ago in terms of mathematics (well, probably, verbal too), but still.

Edited by villina

Did you buy the Princeton Review book? I'm good with real-life verbal stuff but have a tendency to overanalyze with standardized test reading comp. The Princeton Review approach to reading comp was pretty formulaic and exactly what I needed to approach the GRE problems correctly (because it's about figuring out the GRE patterns as much as comprehending the passages). I used their strategies on the problems I had difficulty with during the GRE and scored very well (168) on the verbal section. For prep I just did the Princeton Review book and part of the Barron's verbal workbook (just problems, no strategy) so I can't compare to everything else out there, though. I also used the Cliff's Notes general standardized test math review book and did fairly well (164) considering I haven't taken a real math class since high school 7 years ago. After taking the GRE I would say ideally it should be supplemented with a GRE-specific book because the Cliff's one is focused on understanding math skills and not the tricky trip-you-up problems you might find on the GRE, but if you have been doing mostly GRE prep books, maybe it's a new approach to try?

I crammed for the test in 2 weeks and got 168V/164Q so they definitely aren't resources that require a lot of time to use. I was very surprised with my math score because 2 weeks ago, when I started studying, I barely remembered any math at all (and my diagnostic test with the Cliff's book proved it) so my studying method definitely worked. With verbal, as I said, it's a natural skill for me (I'm applying for lingusitics and translation so I'd have to rethink my future if it wasn't!), but I would have lost a few points on the reading comprehension without the PR strategies.

Also, maybe your practice tests aren't accurate? I was in tears while studying because I couldn't pass the slightly-above-average range in my Verbal practice book. (I have a crap GPA and standardized tests are basically my main skill in life, so I was banking on this to prove I can handle graduate work, and that is why I was so dramatic about it.) Honestly I went into the test thinking it was going to be a huge waste of $160 and that I'd barely get over 50th percentile based on my practice. You might surprise yourself.

Edited by kateausten

Thanks for the tips! And for the good mood. I should try Princeton and Cliff then. I think tests are quite accurate as they correlate with each other. They do not let me the hope that they are wrong -)

Did you buy the Princeton Review book? I'm good with real-life verbal stuff but have a tendency to overanalyze with standardized test reading comp. The Princeton Review approach to reading comp was pretty formulaic and exactly what I needed to approach the GRE problems correctly (because it's about figuring out the GRE patterns as much as comprehending the passages). I used their strategies on the problems I had difficulty with during the GRE and scored very well (168) on the verbal section. For prep I just did the Princeton Review book and part of the Barron's verbal workbook (just problems, no strategy) so I can't compare to everything else out there, though. I also used the Cliff's Notes general standardized test math review book and did fairly well (164) considering I haven't taken a real math class since high school 7 years ago. After taking the GRE I would say ideally it should be supplemented with a GRE-specific book because the Cliff's one is focused on understanding math skills and not the tricky trip-you-up problems you might find on the GRE, but if you have been doing mostly GRE prep books, maybe it's a new approach to try?

I crammed for the test in 2 weeks and got 168V/164Q so they definitely aren't resources that require a lot of time to use. I was very surprised with my math score because 2 weeks ago, when I started studying, I barely remembered any math at all (and my diagnostic test with the Cliff's book proved it) so my studying method definitely worked. With verbal, as I said, it's a natural skill for me (I'm applying for lingusitics and translation so I'd have to rethink my future if it wasn't!), but I would have lost a few points on the reading comprehension without the PR strategies.

Also, maybe your practice tests aren't accurate? I was in tears while studying because I couldn't pass the slightly-above-average range in my Verbal practice book. (I have a crap GPA and standardized tests are basically my main skill in life, so I was banking on this to prove I can handle graduate work, and that is why I was so dramatic about it.) Honestly I went into the test thinking it was going to be a huge waste of $160 and that I'd barely get over 50th percentile based on my practice. You might surprise yourself.

your strength in verbal aspect of the test helped you analyze the questions for math section. Most questions are misread on GRE by people having strong math background and failing to understand problems posed in tricky exam words.

Make sure you get enough sleep the night before. I read someplace that the difference between an A grade student and a C grade one (assuming roughly equal effort), was that the A grade student slept a couple of hours earlier than the C grade one.

Thank you for the advise! I just checked the percent of the questions I did right on the exam (in the GRE diagnostic center online https://grediagnostic.ets.org/GREDWeb/gred/signIn.jsp). First math section was medium, and I did right 8 out of 20 questions, and the second one was easy, I did 16 out of 20. The funny thing is, I perceived the second section as more difficult. I was really tired during the second part of the exam. The second part of the verbal was indeed a little more difficult, and I did the same number of the right questions as in the first one (11/20).

I am surprised that it is enough to do this relatively small number of questions correctly to receive at least mor than 150. (I thought I did better than that.)

On the practice tests that I do the second section in math is usually more difficult, than the first one (and I miss lots of questions). I misread tasks in a most beastly way. For example, I can solve the question correctly, and than mark another option - not A, but B. If only I can fix the tiredness and the lack of attention on the 4-hours exam. Obviously, I still need a lots of preparation, but time is elapsing.

Edited by villina

No, I did not do it. Almost the same score, 154 Q, 155 V. (according for the ETS table, 60 and 65 percentile respectively). Only 3 points difference. The day before I scored 162 V on Kaplan practice test (a big fat smile icon "extremely annoyed").

Should I retake the thing in October? I was thinking about applying early. Does it make any sense - apply early with scores like that?

However, does it make any sense to retake it once again? Maybe only to score the same for the third time.

Maybe I can apply, and, if the third score is significantly higher, to write them and to ask to change the scores in the application?

Which idea is more absurd, what do you think?

At the school I go to (highly nationally ranked public U), the GRE (old scores) for anthropology are ~600 on each section. How do your scores compare if you convert them? If they are close, you should be OK applying this year. If you have a strong record otherwise, it could also be worth applying. I think you can always update application info provided the committee has not yet met. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. According to ETS table, those are 690 in Quantitative, and 530 in Verbal on the previous scale.

How often the committee meets? Is it once in the application period, or twice-thrice?

I invested some time and energy into other parts of my application and I think it has a chance. Unless they will not see it or seriously consider because my GRE-scores are below average for those programs.

• 1 month later...

Hi there! My third attempt was remarkably similar to the first and the second ones. 154/154. The main inference is: current GRE is quite solid. Maybe that's why ETS allowed people to send only the best score, and thus to retake exams more often. This example shows that one can retake the test 3 times, and get exactly the same scores. Not even much worse scores, nor significantly better.

I think I made a tactical mistake, when I scheduled the retake in one month after the first attempt. The interval should have been two months. The second time I received the score only 3 points higher than my first one, and got demotivated. Also, I felt a certain pressure connected with the fact that my preparation did not allow me to concentrate on the other parts of the application as fully as I wanted.

I will not take GRE one more time this year, because if I do, I will not have a chance of taking it twice the next year. (No more than 5 attempts per 12 months, right?)

The funny thing about this third exam is that I got exactly the same topic for Argument writing, and the whole bunch of questions, mostly math, but some verbal, too. It did not help a lot, but at least it means, ETS does not have a large number of questions and topics, and they renew the test not very fast.

One of the math questions that I saw twice looked for me as though it had a mistake in it (no right answer among the answers listed). It struck me the first time, and I memorized it seeing it twice; I'm currently corresponding with ETS about this riddle, but it may very well be that I am wrong, we'll see.

Nevertheless, I'm going to apply this year, in order to be acquainted with the procedure. Believe it or not, this test was fun. I never did standardized tests before in my life, and it was a challenge. I started with 130-and-something in both sections. After you cross the 150 or, say, 155 point, the movement forward become much harder. Although I stuck on 154-155, and thus did not crack the test, I am still sure I can do it if needed in future, because it is logical. The preparation for GRE was quite useful. I liked to read in English ever since I start to do it about two years ago, but I almost never used dictionary. While preparing for GRE, I gain a habit of learning new words (or at least by now I think I did).

Best of luck for everyone! (Me included -)

The funny thing about this third exam is that I got exactly the same topic for Argument writing, and the whole bunch of questions, mostly math, but some verbal, too. It did not help a lot, but at least it means, ETS does not have a large number of questions and topics, and they renew the test not very fast.

no single twin is alike for parents. ETS has mommed and papped its question pool so that even if they look alike, such as twins, they are always different. The trick in your last test was tied to your false association of previously seen questions from an old administration with the questions of your recent test.

no single twin is alike for parents. ETS has mommed and papped its question pool so that even if they look alike, such as twins, they are always different. The trick in your last test was tied to your false association of previously seen questions from an old administration with the questions of your recent test.

The topic of the Argument writing was exactly the same. I am quite sure about the question that I'm talking about as well. Overall, the number of question made this impression on me. The other pool of questions indeed just strongly resembled the questions that I already encountered, and not only on previous exams, but on Magoosh and Kaplan tests as well, up to the point of déjà vu.

If I may ask, how was your retake of Oct the 12th?

The topic of the Argument writing was exactly the same. I am quite sure about the question that I'm talking about as well. Overall, the number of question made this impression on me. The other pool of questions indeed just strongly resembled the questions that I already encountered, and not only on previous exams, but on Magoosh and Kaplan tests as well, up to the point of déjà vu.

If I may ask, how was your retake of Oct the 12th?

not 12th but 20th - it was paper based test and I will receive score report not earlier than Nov.19 Edited by pemdas

I am also convinced that I saw the same questions and essay topics as on previous tests

It's hard to argue not having materials from the tests, however, the number of questions is limited anyway. So there is always a chance of meeting exactly the same question when you try to pass the exam three times in three months. I followed almost the same trajectory on my three tests.

Additionally, I passed TOEFL in a class with about 17 computers (not the biggest possible number, some test centers have around 30 computers in one room), and I noticed that the girl in the next row anwers the same questions I had in my speaking section. Maybe someone else in the room had the same test as we did, I just did not pay attention, of course, as it was not among my tasks for the day.