Submit GRE score on test day question

scofield24

On test day we can sent scores to 4 schools, do you need to contact the schools beforehand in anyway? Or do you just sent it to the schools with appropriate institution+department codes, and the admission committee will find it when they review your application?

Thanks!

They will go to the admissions department and be passed on from there.. it will show up in your application when the school receives it. I would check a week after you sent the scores

• 4 weeks later...

They will go to the admissions department and be passed on from there.. it will show up in your application when the school receives it. I would check a week after you sent the scores

I don't think this answers the OP's question. What he wants to know, like me, is what happens when you send the scores to schools where you have not even made an online account and have not even started the formal application process. Will the schools still receive the scores or will they discard them? What is the correct/preferred method to report the scores for both GRE and TOEFL?

The scores will be kept on file by the department through the current application season. It is best to start your application (just fill in your name and address on the online form so they have something to cross reference) before taking the test to avoid things getting incorrectly filed. You don't need a complete application, just at least one saved page. Check before you send the scores as to which college or school within the university the scores should be sent to--it isn't always to the one your department is in. For example, I remember one school had a specific place to send score for graduate admissions, but that was only for most of their colleges...the college I was applying to within the University wanted scores sent straight to them. I also saw the opposite case.

It is not necessary to have started the application at the time you send the GRE scores. I took the GRE in June and sent the scores then. The applications did not open online until September. I started them as soon as they opened and the programs were able to match my scores to my application with no problems. The scores are sent electronically, and just saved until they are needed. I am pretty sure I filled in the date I took the exam on my online application, and that seemed to be enough for the programs to locate my scores.

I would like to add onto this question, as I have a similar one and do not want to start a new topic just for it. How do you actually send the scores? Do you enter the codes when you report them, and does this mean I need to learn them all? (As you are not allowed to bring paper into the exam room?)

I would like to add onto this question, as I have a similar one and do not want to start a new topic just for it. How do you actually send the scores? Do you enter the codes when you report them, and does this mean I need to learn them all? (As you are not allowed to bring paper into the exam room?)

The system allows you to search for the school's code when you report your scores. So no, you do not have to memorize the school codes. All you need to know is what schools you plan to send your 4 codes to, and if they want you to send your scores to a specific department or not.

• 1 month later...

The system allows you to search for the school's code when you report your scores. So no, you do not have to memorize the school codes. All you need to know is what schools you plan to send your 4 codes to, and if they want you to send your scores to a specific department or not.

But after how many days do the schools receive the scores? Is it the same (10 - 15 day thing)? I am registered for a November exam but I was told its a bit late and some schools recommend that I sit for the exam during October (and I couldn't because I was not ready)... Wondering if it's too late...

But after how many days do the schools receive the scores? Is it the same (10 - 15 day thing)? I am registered for a November exam but I was told its a bit late and some schools recommend that I sit for the exam during October (and I couldn't because I was not ready)... Wondering if it's too late...

I took my test on Oct 11th, and it looks like ETS reported my scores on the 19th. I would imagine that the schools would see my scores within a day or two of the report date (so because of the weekend let's just say this Tuesday the 23rd). After I took the test I believe the directions said 7-10 days to report my scores (mostly so they have an adequate amount of time to review your essays), but everything I'm reading online is saying 10-15 days. My guess is that 7-10 days to electronically report scores (I can see my scores online now) but the 10-15 day range refers to when we will be sent a paper copy of our scores in the mail.

One of my schools with a Dec 1st deadline strongly recommended that applicants take the test no later than Oct 31st to make sure scores are sent in time. So I think it depends how late in November your exam is scheduled and when your first deadline is. Also, some schools start looking at apps right away whereas others might wait a week or two, so it just all depends. At this point unless your test is a week or two before your first deadline, just don't worry about your scores until you need to. Do your best on the test, and then go from there.

I took my test on Oct 11th, and it looks like ETS reported my scores on the 19th. I would imagine that the schools would see my scores within a day or two of the report date (so because of the weekend let's just say this Tuesday the 23rd). After I took the test I believe the directions said 7-10 days to report my scores (mostly so they have an adequate amount of time to review your essays), but everything I'm reading online is saying 10-15 days. My guess is that 7-10 days to electronically report scores (I can see my scores online now) but the 10-15 day range refers to when we will be sent a paper copy of our scores in the mail.

One of my schools with a Dec 1st deadline strongly recommended that applicants take the test no later than Oct 31st to make sure scores are sent in time. So I think it depends how late in November your exam is scheduled and when your first deadline is. Also, some schools start looking at apps right away whereas others might wait a week or two, so it just all depends. At this point unless your test is a week or two before your first deadline, just don't worry about your scores until you need to. Do your best on the test, and then go from there.

Schweet! Thanks for the info. My test is on Nov 8th so I guess I'm not that late...