SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

I am a bit confused (again) about how the point system works. So, I understand that there are several categories, but is there some kind of quota for each school as well? Out of the 1931, some must be direct applicants, and what about the rest of us applying from our universities? Are all applicants assessed equally according to the points, hence some schools having more award winners than other schools?

Scoring is very confusing and when you ask SSHRC, they're not very good at explaining it. If you look at last year's thread from May forward there are some people who have attempted to explain it. Basically, if I remember correctly, there are several main groups, such as classics/theology etc. Your score is in relation to applicants in each sub-group, not the group as a whole.

Then, when all the awards are given out, it gets even more confusing. At some point, previous year's threads seem to suggest they do a roll-up where they list everyone's score on the waitlist. Whatever the exact method they use, one thing is certain: you can get 18.4 in English and not be funded and 15.9 in Geography and can be funded (those are just randomly chosen subject areas, but the point is clear). I'm sure someone on this forum can explain it better, but one thing to mention is that SSHRC is loath to tell you where you are on the waitlist (I was on it last year). And basing a waitlist score against someone's winning score in another discipline does not work.

Was just informed I won a CGS. Unreal. Congratulations to all the winners and all the best to those who weren't successful this year. I am 2/4 for SSHRC (wasn't successful in 1st year master's and going into PhD) so I know the feeling from both sides. 

1st year PhD at the time of application (applied to econ, polisci, law, business, mgmt committee) 

1 peer reviewed review essay (in top-tier journal of sub-discipline)

2-3 other publications (reports for NGO)

2 conferences at the time of application (one provincial, one national)

Several RAships/TAships

'Practical' experience in research area (volunteer work)

MA SSHRC

Several other small internal awards

Was nominated for an international thesis award at the end of my MA (was ultimately unsuccessful)

Excellent letters of reference, one of which is from a major figure in the discipline

My proposal was top-notch - like others, I did FAR too many revisions.

All the best to the rest of y'all. I'm so glad I never have to check this forum ever again. Goodbye everyone, you've been too kind. 

Would anyone who didn't win an award be willing to post their stats?  I think it would be helpful for those of us still waiting.

Sure... I didn't get the letter yet so don't know how I ranked at SSHRC but heres some other info:

Applied in second year of Masters for first year of PhD..

-Held MA SSHRC award

-1 Peer reviewed publication (3rd out of 5 authors)

-2 Conference presentations (1 paper, 1 poster)

-3.8 GPA Undergrad

-3.95 GPA MA

-Worked on many drafts of my proposal and my supervisor referred to it as "impeccable"

-2 letters of reference (1 from my supervisor who is the director of my program, 1 from an employer where I was research coordinator and had a poster with this prof)

I really do not know what they base their decisions on quite honestly... but there you go!

Good luck to the rest in waiting!

Sure... I didn't get the letter yet so don't know how I ranked at SSHRC but heres some other info:

Applied in second year of Masters for first year of PhD..

-Held MA SSHRC award

-1 Peer reviewed publication (3rd out of 5 authors)

-2 Conference presentations (1 paper, 1 poster)

-3.8 GPA Undergrad

-3.95 GPA MA

-Worked on many drafts of my proposal and my supervisor referred to it as "impeccable"

-2 letters of reference (1 from my supervisor who is the director of my program, 1 from an employer where I was research coordinator and had a poster with this prof)

I really do not know what they base their decisions on quite honestly... but there you go!

Good luck to the rest in waiting!

Thanks very much for this, and I'm sorry you didn't get the scholarship. :(  I know how it feels, having not gotten it when I applied to cihr previously.  

Was just informed I won a CGS. Unreal. Congratulations to all the winners and all the best to those who weren't successful this year. I am 2/4 for SSHRC (wasn't successful in 1st year master's and going into PhD) so I know the feeling from both sides.    1st year PhD at the time of application (applied to econ, polisci, law, business, mgmt committee)  1 peer reviewed review essay (in top-tier journal of sub-discipline) 2-3 other publications (reports for NGO) 2 conferences at the time of application (one provincial, one national) Several RAships/TAships 'Practical' experience in research area (volunteer work) MA SSHRC Several other small internal awards Was nominated for an international thesis award at the end of my MA (was ultimately unsuccessful) Excellent letters of reference, one of which is from a major figure in the discipline My proposal was top-notch - like others, I did FAR too many revisions.   All the best to the rest of y'all. I'm so glad I never have to check this forum ever again. Goodbye everyone, you've been too kind. 
Congrats mate. Can you post your score please :)

Sure... I didn't get the letter yet so don't know how I ranked at SSHRC but heres some other info:   Applied in second year of Masters for first year of PhD..   -Held MA SSHRC award -1 Peer reviewed publication (3rd out of 5 authors) -2 Conference presentations (1 paper, 1 poster) -3.8 GPA Undergrad -3.95 GPA MA -Worked on many drafts of my proposal and my supervisor referred to it as "impeccable" -2 letters of reference (1 from my supervisor who is the director of my program, 1 from an employer where I was research coordinator and had a poster with this prof)   I really do not know what they base their decisions on quite honestly... but there you go!   Good luck to the rest in waiting!
Sorry to hear that mate :( better luck next time.

Email from grad dept.. I was "unsuccessful" and that is all I know... awesome..

Sorry to hear that! I was unsuccessful last year and it really truly cut me down a couple notches. It was my first rejection and well it really sucked. But if there is a silver lining, I can tell you that it ended up being for the better in the end. Crazy you say, I know. But because I was awarded internal funding that I was allowed to keep with my OGS but would not have been able to keep with SSHRC, I actually ended up "making" more. And I was allowed to keep two terms of teaching as well. 

Try not to let it be a judge of your character or academic capability. I'm absolutely positive that the same application would go through with some panels and not others or have varied success in each year. 

All the best.

Sorry to hear that! I was unsuccessful last year and it really truly cut me down a couple notches. It was my first rejection and well it really sucked. But if there is a silver lining, I can tell you that it ended up being for the better in the end. Crazy you say, I know. But because I was awarded internal funding that I was allowed to keep with my OGS but would not have been able to keep with SSHRC, I actually ended up "making" more. And I was allowed to keep two terms of teaching as well. 

Try not to let it be a judge of your character or academic capability. I'm absolutely positive that the same application would go through with some panels and not others or have varied success in each year. 

All the best.

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! It really does help to hear... I am crushed but I think it is because it is my first rejection like you said. I am very grateful though because I did win a provincial award so I am not left with nothing at all... And from what I hear, I can reapply to SSHRC next year and if I win CGS at that point it is better than winning from the beginning. That said, I do not have high hopes for future applications... but I guess you never know!! Again thanks for the kind words :)

I haven't received a letter yet. Heard internally. Hopefully tomorrow. Then I will post my score. Again, to all those who were less fortunate in the crap shoot that is SSHRC, I know how it feels, several times, but don't let it bog you down. It says nothing about your abilities as a scholar, nor is it the reflection of anything resembling an 'objective' process. For example, I won a CGS but failed to win OGS. Weird right? You made it this far, so you've proven you're in an excellent position to receive an award next time around. And for those who were successful, congratulations, but realize this is by no means the last tormenting funding application experience you will endure! 

I haven't received a letter yet. Heard internally. Hopefully tomorrow. Then I will post my score. Again, to all those who were less fortunate in the crap shoot that is SSHRC, I know how it feels, several times, but don't let it bog you down. It says nothing about your abilities as a scholar, nor is it the reflection of anything resembling an 'objective' process. For example, I won a CGS but failed to win OGS. Weird right? You made it this far, so you've proven you're in an excellent position to receive an award next time around. And for those who were successful, congratulations, but realize this is by no means the last tormenting funding application experience you will endure! 

Ditto, 

Neither is it a licence to become that self-righteous S%&T! who thinks that their non-funded/wait-listed colleagues are beneath them! If you got an award be generous! help other try to get one, give advice and share your experience...!!!!!

Everyone needs a helping hand, and a kindness done!

Scoring is very confusing and when you ask SSHRC, they're not very good at explaining it. If you look at last year's thread from May forward there are some people who have attempted to explain it. Basically, if I remember correctly, there are several main groups, such as classics/theology etc. Your score is in relation to applicants in each sub-group, not the group as a whole.

Then, when all the awards are given out, it gets even more confusing. At some point, previous year's threads seem to suggest they do a roll-up where they list everyone's score on the waitlist. Whatever the exact method they use, one thing is certain: you can get 18.4 in English and not be funded and 15.9 in Geography and can be funded (those are just randomly chosen subject areas, but the point is clear). I'm sure someone on this forum can explain it better, but one thing to mention is that SSHRC is loath to tell you where you are on the waitlist (I was on it last year). And basing a waitlist score against someone's winning score in another discipline does not work.

Hey, thanks for the info. I did not realize that once the applications are forwarded to SSHRC, it's all about the score you get in the final round. I think I was confused because I saw some kind of spreadsheet that shows success rate per school. So I guess in case you're waitlisted, the only information that will help is if you know the cut off score for the category you applied for. I wonder what's so difficult about giving out ranks on the waitlist.

Hi there!

It's so nice to see the encouraging comments on the forum!  I received a notification from my department today that I won a SSHRC Doctoral. But I haven't received my letter in the mail though so I don't have my score!

If it helps, my stats are:

2nd Year PhD, MA SSHRC, PhD OGS

1 peer-reviewed publication

2 conference proceedings (international)

4 conferences

UG GPA 3.7

no RAships; 5 TAships

I worked for a few months at a job related to my area of research as well.

I would really advise just emailing your department because they've known since yesterday I believe.  For those who didn't receive the award, I know how it feels when you have devoted so much to your application. It doesn't mean your project isn't great. Chin up!

Edited by raisins

Hi there!

It's so nice to see the encouraging comments on the forum!  I received a notification from my department today that I won a SSHRC Doctoral. But I haven't received my letter in the mail though so I don't have my score!

If it helps, my stats are:

2nd Year PhD, MA SSHRC, PhD OGS

1 peer-reviewed publication

2 conference proceedings (international)

4 conferences

UG GPA 3.7

no RAships; 5 TAships

I worked for a few months at a job related to my area of research as well.

I would really advise just emailing your department because they've known since yesterday I believe.  For those who didn't receive the award, I know how it feels when you have devoted so much to your application. It doesn't mean your project isn't great. Chin up!

Congrats. :D

External applicant in Old Blighty here. Congrats to those who have had success, and consolations to those less successful. Anyone have any sense when I could expect to hear something over here. 

External applicant in Old Blighty here. Congrats to those who have had success, and consolations to those less successful. Anyone have any sense when I could expect to hear something over here. 

Letters were sent last Friday, so depends on how long the mail takes across the pond. I'm in Hamilton and haven't received mine yet, but Ottawa and Montreal have theirs.

Hello,

I got my letter yesterday but the uni of Ottawa told me before that I got the Bombardier scholarship! I got 26.6.

I am in my first year of phd in law.

5 peer reviewed articles (published)

3 peer reviewed articles (accepted)

7 peer revewed conferences.

GPA I can't really tell because I got french marks... but I think the uni of Ottawa says 4.0.

Great projet (very useful for Canada in theory and practice) and well structured.

I don't know my rank in the department but I guess 1 or 2

3 RA

2 years of experience in research institutes

Letters were sent last Friday, so depends on how long the mail takes across the pond. I'm in Hamilton and haven't received mine yet, but Ottawa and Montreal have theirs.

Not everyone in Montreal has received their letters. Hopefully it will come today! The donkey cart hasn't passed in my street yet.

Long time lurker, first-time poster.

My department contacted me today...I got an SSHRC doctoral award! This is VERY unexpected as I have been rejected and wait listed in the past. This was the last year that I was eligible so I will be receiving  20,000$ over a 12 month period. To those who have been rejected or wait-listed, do not lose hope! I was persistent, I kept applying and was pleasantly surprised. 

Here are my stats:

3rd year - Doctorate in psychology

Masters SSHRC

1 peer reviewed article

1 accepted manuscript

2 peer reviewed conferences

2 non peer reviewed conferences

GPA  - grad: 4.0, undergrad: 3.9

Don't know my rank in my department...probably top three

4 RA, 1 TA

Qualitative study

I don't know my score as I have not yet received my letter. I will keep you guys posted! 

Congrats to all who got funded! And for those of you who weren't so lucky (I know it sucks, I was there), keep your head up high and keep applying! :)

Edited by Psych2014

Thought others might be interested in this. Canada Post delivery standards: 

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1383779

Local delivery: 2 days

Within province: 3 days

National: 4 days

So, Ottawa got letters yesterday, which means that Ontario should get them today. 

In case you weren't anxious enough already...