SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

I received a CGS Doctoral Scholarship, starting PhD in Sept. 

Rank 25/30

1 co-authored publication

2 book edits

2 MAs

4 RAships

1 Research management gig

4 TAships

1 course development, co-taught

3 conferences organized,

3 workshops

3 OGS, 1 SSHRC MA, 1 Fulbright

Hello,

I got my letter yesterday but the uni of Ottawa told me before that I got the Bombardier scholarship! I got 26.6.

I am in my first year of phd in law.

5 peer reviewed articles (published)

3 peer reviewed articles (accepted)

7 peer revewed conferences.

GPA I can't really tell because I got french marks... but I think the uni of Ottawa says 4.0.

Great projet (very useful for Canada in theory and practice) and well structured.

I don't know my rank in the department but I guess 1 or 2

3 RA

2 years of experience in research institutes

Congrats mate. Nice to see a fellow Law grad get one :)

Not everyone in Montreal has received their letters. Hopefully it will come today! The donkey cart hasn't passed in my street yet.

I LOVE this donkey cart metaphor. I think from now on, this will be my standard tough i believe we should be citing Nerd_for_Life for it :D

Not everyone in Montreal has received their letters. Hopefully it will come today! The donkey cart hasn't passed in my street yet.

The donkey cart arrived with bad news. 

Second time applying, second time shortlisted, second time without an award. Here are my stats at time of application. 

1 peer-reviewed publication

2 invited/in-progress articles

1 conference

2 grad conferences

3.95 GPA (my undergrad was very bad, but my MA was much better)

Multiple TAships

I am fairly positive my reference letters were excellent. I did not read these but I did read others that they wrote for different things. 

I do not know my rank in the department or university.

Conference organizer

Editor-in-Chief of the department's peer-reviewed journal

My score this year is 14.5/30. Last year it was 15.something/30. This year's application was refined and clear and I had multiple readers and editors. Funny it scored less. 

My project is not an area that anyone knows about. I am the only one doing it in North American, and there are only a few scholars in the world that even know my area. Although the SSHRC people don't know it, I am actually one of the experts in this extremely small, obscure, specialty.

Anyway, I will try again. Since the original application I was offered a teaching position next year, invited to write another article for a peer-reviewed journal (a special edition on my area of expertise), and am presenting at two major peer-reviewed conferences in my field. So, at least, it wouldn't be lack of experience. 

Totally bummed. I do have internal funding for another 2 years. Not much, but it'll do. 

Good luck everyone!

The donkey cart arrived with bad news. 

Second time applying, second time shortlisted, second time without an award. Here are my stats at time of application. 

1 peer-reviewed publication

2 invited/in-progress articles

1 conference

2 grad conferences

3.95 GPA (my undergrad was very bad, but my MA was much better)

Multiple TAships

I am fairly positive my reference letters were excellent. I did not read these but I did read others that they wrote for different things. 

I do not know my rank in the department or university.

Conference organizer

Editor-in-Chief of the department's peer-reviewed journal

My score this year is 14.5/30. Last year it was 15.something/30. This year's application was refined and clear and I had multiple readers and editors. Funny it scored less. 

My project is not an area that anyone knows about. I am the only one doing it in North American, and there are only a few scholars in the world that even know my area. Although the SSHRC people don't know it, I am actually one of the experts in this extremely small, obscure, specialty.

Anyway, I will try again. Since the original application I was offered a teaching position next year, invited to write another article for a peer-reviewed journal (a special edition on my area of expertise), and am presenting at two major peer-reviewed conferences in my field. So, at least, it wouldn't be lack of experience. 

Totally bummed. I do have internal funding for another 2 years. Not much, but it'll do. 

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear, FrauleinZaftig. It sounds like you are succeeding where it really counts: generating knowledge. Enjoy the beautiful day outside and don't let it get you down.

I'm at McMaster no mail today or yesterday but I received word from my graduate coordinator. My sense is that all of our respective departments are receiving word before we get an official confirmation by snail mail. Good luck to everyone and keep your chins up if this wasn't your year!

Sent my university (uWaterloo) an e-mail to see if they received the results.  Heard back that they had and that I didn't receive an award.  Assuming I'm not waitlisted either, but will wait for the official letter.

My stats:

-91% graduate average, similar undergraduate marks

-will be entering my 1st year of PhD in Fall 2013

-0 peer reviewed publications

-0 conference presentations

-lots of TA positions and 1 RA
-1 "other" publication; a report for my profession's governing body

-solid research proposal and references (as far as I know)

Not much experience, so thought it was a long-shot I would win an award, but with so much money at stake there's always some hope!

Best of luck to everyone else and I will update my score/official status when I receive my letter.

Sent my university (uWaterloo) an e-mail to see if they received the results.  Heard back that they had and that I didn't receive an award.  Assuming I'm not waitlisted either, but will wait for the official letter.

My stats:

-91% graduate average, similar undergraduate marks

-will be entering my 1st year of PhD in Fall 2013

-0 peer reviewed publications

-0 conference presentations

-lots of TA positions and 1 RA

-1 "other" publication; a report for my profession's governing body

-solid research proposal and references (as far as I know)

Not much experience, so thought it was a long-shot I would win an award, but with so much money at stake there's always some hope!

Best of luck to everyone else and I will update my score/official status when I receive my letter.

Sounds like a solid profile, the only thing missing is a pub or two. So if you can even get a forthcoming on your application next time, you'd still be in the running for CGS, so dont let this get you down mate. Better luck next time. BIG HUGS :)

hi there, i've been following this forum for a bit but i've never posted

is anyone here from CarletonU in Ottawa? For those who have received results was it the university that contacted you? I've been checking my email at work every 5 mins and still haven't heard anything and I'm going a little nuts! Can't get to my snail mail box until this evening. Currently living in Barrie

Thanks so much! Best of luck to everyone :) 

THE LETTER FINALLY CAME!

I was already informed by Graduate Studies from my university (Concordia) so I knew I got it but the letter makes it all official. I am only funded 40K because I have two year left. My score is 22.5/30

This is my third time applying for SSHRC. My grades were too low in undergrad to apply to OGS and/or SSHRC for my MA.

Stats when applied

• 2.7/4 GPA for BA
  • 4.17/4.3 MA GPA
  • 4.2/4.3 PhD GPA 
  • 2 very strong letters — from supervisor (University Chair) and from a Canada Research Chair
  • 1 peer reviewed publication forthcoming (sole author)
  • 1 review in peer reviewed publication 
  • 1 encyclopedia entry (1st author)
  • 6 non peer reviewed publications (sole author)
  • 2 peer reviewed conferences 
  • 4 conferences 
  • 4 invited talks
  • 9 adjudicated group exhibitions
  • 6 RAs & GAs
  • 2 TAs
  • 1 studio instructor position
  • OGS for PhD (declined because went to Quebec)
  • 3 year entrance fellowship for PhD at Concordia
  • Concordia Merit Scholarship
  • Several travel funds from Concordia and York
  • Several fieldwork & research bursaries from York for my MA thesis
  • Canadian Media Research Consortium Small Research Grant

not sure what else I put on for research contributions.

I also used the special section to explain my low undergrad GPA.

First time I applied for SSHRC PhD, I was forwarded by York, and got an atrocious low score of something like less than 10. 2nd time I was not even forwarded from Concordia (my PhD school).

I'd like to say that I completely changed my Application Statement less than 2 weeks before the deadline. I am still working within the broader category of my field, but after I finished my doctoral exam I had a crazy epiphany and decided to write something new from scratch. Some thought I was insane, but my supervisor told me to go for it. I was very lucky to have a team of people help me get my initial idea/draft into a cogent articulate application. So, sometimes having an intuition and inspiration is worth pursuing. My previous app was worked on for since the previous year, but I couldn't do that to myself when I had such an intense feeling to change it. This was also 7 days before FQRSC was due (and I received that also).

So, despite the amazing prize to help pay off my student loans, I am so thrilled that my intuition and energy paid off and that I should always follow my gut. *excuse the cheeziness but ho-lee I am beyond excited since I was sure I was a lost cause*  :blink:

Sounds like a solid profile, the only thing missing is a pub or two. So if you can even get a forthcoming on your application next time, you'd still be in the running for CGS, so dont let this get you down mate. Better luck next time. BIG HUGS :)

This sounds solid. Publishing is helpful,but I've known several  people who have gotten CGS with no publishing and others who have been rejected with. That's not to say it's merely a crapshoot or that publishing doesn't count, but it is not the tipping point. As someone who has been through this rodeo a few times, I would spend the bulk of time on the research statement.

THE LETTER FINALLY CAME!   I was already informed by Graduate Studies from my university (Concordia) so I knew I got it but the letter makes it all official. I am only funded 40K because I have two year left. My score is 22.5/30 This is my third time applying for SSHRC. My grades were too low in undergrad to apply to OGS and/or SSHRC for my MA.   Stats when applied
  • 2.7/4 GPA for BA
  • 4.17/4.3 MA GPA
  • 4.2/4.3 PhD GPA 
  • 2 very strong letters — from supervisor (University Chair) and from a Canada Research Chair
  • 1 peer reviewed publication forthcoming (sole author)
  • 1 review in peer reviewed publication 
  • 1 encyclopedia entry (1st author)
  • 6 non peer reviewed publications (sole author)
  • 2 peer reviewed conferences 
  • 4 conferences 
  • 4 invited talks
  • 9 adjudicated group exhibitions
  • 6 RAs & GAs
  • 2 TAs
  • 1 studio instructor position
  • OGS for PhD (declined because went to Quebec)
  • 3 year entrance fellowship for PhD at Concordia
  • Concordia Merit Scholarship
  • Several travel funds from Concordia and York
  • Several fieldwork & research bursaries from York for my MA thesis
  • Canadian Media Research Consortium Small Research Grant

not sure what else I put on for research contributions.   I also used the special section to explain my low undergrad GPA.   First time I applied for SSHRC PhD, I was forwarded by York, and got an atrocious low score of something like less than 10. 2nd time I was not even forwarded from Concordia (my PhD school).   I'd like to say that I completely changed my Application Statement less than 2 weeks before the deadline. I am still working within the broader category of my field, but after I finished my doctoral exam I had a crazy epiphany and decided to write something new from scratch. Some thought I was insane, but my supervisor told me to go for it. I was very lucky to have a team of people help me get my initial idea/draft into a cogent articulate application. So, sometimes having an intuition and inspiration is worth pursuing. My previous app was worked on for since the previous year, but I couldn't do that to myself when I had such an intense feeling to change it. This was also 7 days before FQRSC was due (and I received that also).   So, despite the amazing prize to help pay off my student loans, I am so thrilled that my intuition and energy paid off and that I should always follow my gut. *excuse the cheeziness but ho-lee I am beyond excited since I was sure I was a lost cause*  :blink:

That's amazing I was just about as excite as you are now. It took me about 3 days for the news to really sink in. It's a really weird feeling so I totally hear you. And big congrats! :D

This sounds solid. Publishing is helpful,but I've known several  people who have gotten CGS with no publishing and others who have been rejected with. That's not to say it's merely a crapshoot or that publishing doesn't count, but it is not the tipping point. As someone who has been through this rodeo a few times, I would spend the bulk of time on the research statement.
Ditto, couldn't agree more, I'd say in my case the pubs help offset my GPA (which wasn't terrible, but neither was it an a+).

That's amazing I was just about as excite as you are now. It took me about 3 days for the news to really sink in. It's a really weird feeling so I totally hear you. And big congrats! :D

Thank you so much! Yeah, I dont think it'll fully sink it until I get the money. Congrats to you also!

I got my mail today and am in shock I got  CGS! I was certain I didn't get an award because I did not hear anything from my department or grad office. It appears York really did not contact anyone with results, so for those who have not heard anything there is still hope!

My score was 25.3

MA SSHRC 

One accepted publication 

3 conferences (2 national and one grad)

2 RAships both profs I worked for wrote me reference letters

3.95 GPA

7 drafts of my proposal 

Going into second year PHD

I got my mail today and am in shock I got  CGS! I was certain I didn't get an award because I did not hear anything from my department or grad office. It appears York really did not contact anyone with results, so for those who have not heard anything there is still hope!

My score was 25.3

MA SSHRC 

One accepted publication 

3 conferences (2 national and one grad)

2 RAships both profs I worked for wrote me reference letters

3.95 GPA

7 drafts of my proposal 

Going into second year PHD

Congrats! That's fantastic news! Which field?

Communications

Comms is a cool field, I've been reading some affect theory (Massumi) as of late, and yeah... pretty darn interesting, complicated as S$%T, but interesting :D

I heard from the department yesterday and got the mailed confirmation today: 1 year SSHRC Doctoral! Score: 21/30.

Stats:

- 0 peer reviewed journals

- 4 co-authored contributions to edited volumes

- 6 conference presentations

- 3.7/4 GPA BA

- 3.8/4 GPA MA

- 4/4 GPA PhD

- 2 OGS

- 2 strong letters from Full Professors

- 2 RAships

- Countless iterations of my program of study

I want to pass some advice to those who weren't successful this year: keep hustling. I made it to nationals for Vanier in 1st year and was unsuccessful. I made it to nationals for SSHRC last year and was unsuccessful (score: 15/30). I had pretty much given up on ever getting SSHRC, but I'm happy I still invested the effort this time around. Granted, the financial reward is much less at this stage of my program - but the validation feels great.

Also, for those who interested in envelope thickness: the successful envelope definitely felt/looked thicker than last year's rejection envelope.