Applying for Fall 2013

musichistorygeek

Blargh that is sooooooooo faaaaarrrrr awaaaaaaay. I am applying for the Masters in Composition, electronic/computer music track. The film scoring track sounds awesome, good luck to you! 

Thank u, same to u!!!

I received an email from Cornell...

Dear Applicants,

Our graduate application review process for the DMA program in Composition is ongoing and is expected to be completed in early March. Thank you for your patience.

Department of Music
Cornell University

I think I may have slowed the process with a piece that's 30 minutes long, accompanied by a complex 80 page score.   :huh: Sorry, but it will probably only help the other applicants because I'm pretty sure K.E. is the only one that will appreciate my music.

On the bright side, I had an informal phone interview with the department head at Ithaca College, and my impression was that they want me! He asked specific questions about my compositions and teaching abilities. It seemed that he was trying to decide whether or not to offer me an assistantship. The interview took place on 2/12/13, and he said I should receive a letter in a couple weeks.

Waiting relentlessly.

I just know, NYU is early March, cause last year I know someone got her acceptance on Mar,6th.  Are u applying for NYU's film scoring?

No, I'm just applying to the regular composition program.  So basically, in 2-3 weeks we'll be finding out then? *fingers-crossed* that I will get in somewhere AND be able to afford it. I hate waiting...

Are you applying to other places other than NYU?

Jojojohnhnhn: I haven't heard from UCSD either. The comp program is a pretty tough admit; the coordinator said ~75 apply per year, and they take as many as they can fund, which is not more than 4 or 5. But looking at their past years' results, it seems that all their rejections tend to come out together in mid Feb. or so (2/23 last year, and 2/18 the year before), though there hasn't been much data on the acceptances. In any case, I think that means, the longer it takes, the more chance of still be in the runnin!

Edited by beethomeister

beethomeister: UCSD is prob my top choice this season although I have fairly low expectations. After talking with some faculty members it seems like the ideal place for a composer of modern art music. Best of luck to you and everyone else on here(even the jabronies who are convinced their lives are over because they didn't get into any schools).

No, I'm just applying to the regular composition program.  So basically, in 2-3 weeks we'll be finding out then? *fingers-crossed* that I will get in somewhere AND be able to afford it. I hate waiting...

Are you applying to other places other than NYU?

No, only NYU.  Btw, do you know anyone apply the same program as me or u? For Chinese I asked a lot, not many. I am so nervous as u now.

Good luck to u!!!

It's so odd...I was born and raised in San Diego and moved back recently, and have been involved in/aware of experimental music scenes anywhere I've gone, and I had no idea that freaking Miller Puckette was under my nose here. Unreal. Tom Erbe is also great. The entire program at UCSD seems amazing. You would never know we have such powerful players in avant-garde music from the cultural environment of San Diego -- it seems like music NEVER happens here. Best of luck to all applying. If you have any questions about the town I'm happy to answer. 

For anyone who interviewed at Eastman for Theory or Musicology this year:

Has anyone heard anything yet?  I interviewed at Eastman for Theory, and I seem to remember them telling us to expect results 2 or 3 weeks after the interviews.  Since the interview weekend was 4 weeks ago now, I'm not sure if I made that up, or if that is indeed the case and I'm on some unofficial waitlist.  Either way, I was wondering if anyone has heard either way, or if anyone else is as agonized and prone to overthinking as I am :)

Blagosphere, you're not alone - I haven't heard anything from Eastman after my interview (for musicology). It's my top choice and while I've been hoping for the best, I'm really starting to assume rejection. :(

I interviewed via Skype (as I'm about as far away as you can get and I really couldn't afford the few thousand dollars and days of travelling to get to Rochester), so I've been agonising over how that may (or may not?!) have damaged my chances.  I also forgot to ask when I would hear the outcome, which hasn't exactly lessened my anxiety :rolleyes:  Two to three weeks seems about right from previous years on the results search though. 

No, only NYU.  Btw, do you know anyone apply the same program as me or u? For Chinese I asked a lot, not many. I am so nervous as u now.

Good luck to u!!!

Some of my composer friends from festivals may have, but I do not know for sure (and Idk if they applied to my or your program).

Thanks! and good luck to you too!

My first acceptance email came last week -- Stony Brook!  This is my second year applying (just went for Ivy Leagues last year).  I've literally spent thousands of dollars on this process.  It's a bit surreal to finally have a result.  I'm still waiting to hear if they'll give me a good fellowship -- I think most get 3/4th's plus a teaching position if you're lucky will cover the rest.  

I had positive interviews at CUNY, UNT and UT so far.  Anyone else in a similar boat?  I'm beginning to think I may actually have options to choose from in a few weeks, though I hope I don't jinx it.  Haven't heard a peep from NYU, Columbia or UCD.  Anyone in a similar boat?

Hi, Sunny Composer, Congratulations on your acceptance to Stony Brook! I'm going for musicology, and I have not yet heard from NYU or Columbia, either. I was not invited to interview at CUNY and I'm confident my rejection will be in my e-mail box tomorrow. Good luck with all your applications!

If there's one thing I know about CUNY, is that they like to promote from within.  I think I got an interview because I went through Queens College, and most of my professors also work at the Graduate Center.  They also hire a lot from within too.  Many CUNY professors were CUNY graduates.  The lesson I take from this is... it's all so subjective that schools tend to go with those they know already.  After I've written this, they'll probably make sure to reject me as well tomorrow.  Good luck with yours!

Good morning, Sunny Composer -- I appreciate that information. It's actually good news for a friend of mine who's a CUNY grad and has applied for a different Ph.D. program. (My official rejection has not yet arrived and no one at the Office of Graduate Admissions is answering the phone.) 

Mochabear, I'm so sorry you received all that unpleasant news -- and in one day. I hope Texas has only wonderful things in store for you!

Mochabear that sucks. Sorry to hear that, though I was in that same position a couple of years ago. Let's hope Austin is positive.

By the way I have a question about comp. at Columbia. Do they send the musicology and comp. emails at the same time? Because we already know of the acceptance of musicmage. 

Also what is the deal with MCgill? How do they notify people?

Last, on Cornell, I briefly looked at the schedules of comp faculty. Seems that next Monday is the time they will all be again in town. And as I have said, they seem to notify applicants Fridays, which might be the time they have faculty meetings. But on the other hand this year they are quite late so my theory doesn't hold much...

Edited by composser