NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

Hi Pacific,

How did you know where you are in the list below the cutoff for CGS level awards?

From this link last year, http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/CompStat2012-StatConcours2012_eng.pdf 

I could see how many are offered in your selection committee at CGS and PGS levels. I contacted nserc in late April to find out my ranking and I could see that I was 6 places below the CGS cutoff. I received an email in the beginning of June (1st week sometime) telling me I had been upgraded to a CGS. 

From this link last year, http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/CompStat2012-StatConcours2012_eng.pdf 

I could see how many are offered in your selection committee at CGS and PGS levels. I contacted nserc in late April to find out my ranking and I could see that I was 6 places below the CGS cutoff. I received an email in the beginning of June (1st week sometime) telling me I had been upgraded to a CGS. 

if the link doesn't work, copy and paste into your search bar

Edited by pacific

Your supervisor will probably reduce (but not completely cut) the amount you get straight from the research unit, but at my university there is a ton of money specifically for students who hold NSERC awards. You probably would never get less money with an NSERC award. I just got an award and will now make double what I did last year with my supervisor's top up and other scholarships.

Just note that supervisors are not allowed to top up NSERC award holders using their NSERC Discovery Grants. If his/her money is from elsewhere though, then damn that's great...just be prepared to take a big pay cut for your postdoc! 

Received my letter today in BC.  I was waitlisted.  Letter was dated March 25th and envelope was postmarked March 27th.    

Did any one received a letter in Vancouver today?

Edited by winter2012

My mail carrier definitely misses my street most of the week. I usually only get mail on Thursday or Friday. I hate this guy!

I haven't heard anything either, and it is after 5pm in Montreal. Bad sign for today!

Hi guys,

Me too I did not receive my mail today, my mail carrier comes usually after 5pm. I'm in Montreal

Edited by limmil

My (successful) letter arrived at my parents' house in Brampton today. Not sure why NSERC sent it to my permanent rather than mailing address.

Does anyone know what the link is / deal is with supplementary top-ups?

My (successful) letter arrived at my parents' house in Brampton today. Not sure why NSERC sent it to my permanent rather than mailing address.

Does anyone know what the link is / deal is with supplementary top-ups?

If your current mailing address expires before they mail the letter, it goes to permanent. 

Top ups are at the discretion of the supervisor, department and/or school. You will not make less money than someone without funding.

If your current mailing address expires before they mail the letter, it goes to permanent. 

Top ups are at the discretion of the supervisor, department and/or school. You will not make less money than someone without funding.

I mean the NSERC supplements(?), which it lists in the letter. It just points to the "Students" page for "information about, and application procedures for, the different supplements."

edit: if they mean for you to apply for supplementary funding from your school that wording is confusing. I also thought I read somewhere in the forums that there are actually some top ups available. I'm pretty sure I've read about one for Canadian students to study abroad for a term (not that that matters to me anymore, since I'm transferring to a US school). Oh, while I'm at it, does anyone know what the procedure is if the school you are taking the award up at is different than those listed on your application?

Edited by phalanges

I mean the NSERC supplements(?), which it lists in the letter. It just points to the "Students" page for "information about, and application procedures for, the different supplements."

edit: if they mean for you to apply for supplementary funding from your school that wording is confusing. I also thought I read somewhere in the forums that there are actually some top ups available. I'm pretty sure I've read about one for Canadian students to study abroad for a term (not that that matters to me anymore, since I'm transferring to a US school). Oh, while I'm at it, does anyone know what the procedure is if the school you are taking the award up at is different than those listed on your application?

If that term/phrase/clause is the same as it was in previous years, then it does indeed mean applying for supplementary funding that is only available to NSERC recipients. I think there is some award named Michael Smith (http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSForeignStudy-BESCEtudeEtranger_eng.aspor something that could supplement a student's research costs if for example, the student needed to be in a certain country to do fieldwork for some months, or to do work at an external institution (maybe a collaborator?). It could be helpful since maybe the "fieldwork" time happens during the school year and prevents the student from TAing and thus the extra award could make up for that lost income. Or, maybe the external institution won't have the funds to pay for the student's living expenses abroad so that funding could help too. Just some examples of what it could be used for.

This page lists all of the supplements available: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/index_eng.asp (scroll down to "Postgraduate Supplements")

As for top-ups, they exist at most Canadian schools! You should check out each school's and department's individual policies. You don't have to apply to these usually, you just tell the department you have an NSERC and they take care of the rest. Sometimes you might not see this money in your department funding package because sometimes the Graduate School handles it. For example, at Queen's Physics, we get a "Salary Sheet" every year that says how much money we are getting and from what source. The top-up award from Queen's doesn't appear on this sheet and is separate! Most schools will top up usually between $3000 and $5000 per award, sometimes as a lump sum in the first year, or sometimes spread over the duration of the award!

And yes it's only recently that NSERC holders can be paid an RAship from the supervisor's NSERC grant. Before this rule change, some NSERC students actually cost the department more money than a non-scholarship student since in order to meet the minimum funding requirement, the department had to make up the portion normally funded by the supervisor's grant through some other means!

Edited by TakeruK

My letter arrived in MTL. A no go for the second straight year, so I'm out!

Didn't even get alternate, which I did last year. Oh well, still have a chance at internals!

Best of luck all.

My letter arrived in MTL. A no go for the second straight year, so I'm out!

Didn't even get alternate, which I did last year. Oh well, still have a chance at internals!

Best of luck all.

Hi MTL18,

I am currently away from Montreal, so I cant check my mail. Do you go to McGill? Do they update Minerva?

Darn, I really want to find out!

Edited by mtl grad

I'm at UWO and found out that I was waitlisted for a doctoral award (my student centre was updated and I got an email from Grad Studies yesterday evening). Also, I have not yet received the letter in this part of Ontario. Good luck everyone!

Btw… if you have any information about the wait list experience…please share. Thanks! :)

Did any one received a letter in Vancouver today?

I did

So stocked, won a cgs

Edited by |||

I'm from Edmonton, in Vancouver now.

I was told by my department that I received an award but have not received a letter yet so I went to double check the mailing address of my application. Lo and behold, I put "Vancouver, AB."

You think they would have fixed the address before mailing?

Hi ,

I was in Vancouver when i submitted my application>but now moved to Alberta. I am not able to get any infomation from my previous home address .What to do?

Will NSERC put result on website? If yes, when?

thanks