NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

I've heard that there is a process for a current CGS - M or PGS - M holder to apply for an extension of their support for an additional year. I've searched around on the site but couldn't seem to find any useful information. Does anybody know anything about this?

This only applies to people who were awarded the CGS M or PGS M back in 2009 or something (i.e. the old two year CGS/PGS M awards). Now we only get 1 year awards for masters studies.

This only applies to people who were awarded the CGS M or PGS M back in 2009 or something (i.e. the old two year CGS/PGS M awards). Now we only get 1 year awards for masters studies.

Ah, that explains things. Thank you.

The NSERC page says: to be eligible...

you must have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between zero and 24 months of studies (full-time equivalent) in the doctoral program for which you are requesting funding

Assuming that this is currently your first year of PhD, and you are a full-time student, then by December 2013, you will have completed 16 months of studies, so next year is the last year that you will be eligible to apply. However, you will only be eligible for the CGS/PGS D2 (i.e. the 2 year award) because you would have completed more than 12 months of PhD next year. So if you get it, you will be funded for years 3 and 4 of your PhD.

All the information is here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/pg-cs/bellandpostgrad-belletsuperieures_eng.asp

So... anyone hear if their application was forwarded to NSERC yet? :P

I heard that they forward them this week...

I will be checking mine often today. Last year (Friday, November 24th) the NSERC website updated my status from "submitted" to "received".

Edit: that should say Thursday, November 24th. Given that the 25th falls on a Sunday this year, I'm not sure if we should expect updates until Monday or not.

Edited by MTL18

I will be checking mine often today. Last year (Friday, November 24th) the NSERC website updated my status from "submitted" to "received".

Edit: that should say Thursday, November 24th. Given that the 25th falls on a Sunday this year, I'm not sure if we should expect updates until Monday or not.

I was also checking my inbox/NSERC status throughout the day. No change.

Maybe Monday is the day. Fingers crossed!

My NSERC webpage updated from 'Submitted' to 'Received' sometime yesterday, but I have not recieved an email from the university yet.

Hopefully this means I am through the first hurdle! :)

(applying for a PGS-D through Dalhousie University)

I checked my NSERC status right now (10:30am EST) and my status was change to "Approved"! I haven't heard from my anyone at grad studies, but maybe they don't tell you necessarily.

Oh great, let the waiting begin :) Can't wait to be back here in a few months freaking out with you guys haha

I checked my NSERC status right now (10:30am EST) and my status was change to "Approved"! I haven't heard from my anyone at grad studies, but maybe they don't tell you necessarily.

Oh great, let the waiting begin :) Can't wait to be back here in a few months freaking out with you guys haha

They do, your information is sent electronically to NSERC, it takes them a few days to a couple of weeks. Last year, my email came in mid December.

Congratulations you guys :)

Do any of you know what the various status's mean on the NSERC page?

Last time around when I successfully got a PGS-M my status never went to 'approved', I only saw 'recieved' once the university forwarded it on.

I am just wondering if the 'approved' status is something different, or if I should be worried that mine only says 'recieved'. Cheers!

Congratulations you guys :)

Do any of you know what the various status's mean on the NSERC page?

Last time around when I successfully got a PGS-M my status never went to 'approved', I only saw 'recieved' once the university forwarded it on.

I am just wondering if the 'approved' status is something different, or if I should be worried that mine only says 'recieved'. Cheers!

No, you are fine. Approved is an electronic submission, it is only a temporary status. Mine changed and today says received.

• 2 months later...

March is almost here... Any guesses for when the letters will be sent?

I'm guessing around March 25... which is quite optimistic considering last year we didn't hear anything till April :P.

Edited by jnoel12

One could study film and apply for nserc, though you would defend your work under the psychology guidelines, and defend it as being psychological in nautre. 

To perhaps to be more specific with a potential quesiton, you could consider topics of spatial location, sequence of events, angle view and others when considering how they impact memory and learning.

Of course these are all off the fly, but there are of course endless relevant questions one could ask that adhere to the guidelines of nserc

http://www.science.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=FEE7261A-1