NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

Vanier awards as well. 50 of them awarded out and you'd assume that if you get a Vanier, you also got a PGS or CGS.

Do they do that? Like cross-awarding?? So if someone's name was listed for a CGS, he will also be listed for a PGS?

Do they do that? Like cross-awarding?? So if someone's name was listed for a CGS, he will also be listed for a PGS?

No, the CGS/PGS pool is the same pot. Top PGS applicants are automatically CGS until that quota is filled.

The Vanier is a separate application and can be applied for along with a CGS/PGS. You may only accept one however, that's where people will decline the PGS/CGS as the Vanier is way more prestigious and worth lots more money. 

My questions is - all the guys who know their results, were they informed by the departments without enquiring or the department let them know of the result only after they enquired about the results.

My questions is - all the guys who know their results, were they informed by the departments without enquiring or the department let them know of the result only after they enquired about the results.

In my case, and others from the same university

the department contacted us, without inquiring.

Edited by |||

I interpret that as an additional $15million to nserc, as a part of the $37mil increase to industry-academic partnership to all three councils.

Someone posted previously that the PDF budget alone is the ball park of $15-16mill per year...

so maybe thats good news for the industry types? the rest must be about the same as years previous.

I'm guessing since my Dept. hasn't emailed me, I'm outta luck? Any other McMaster students heard anything?

Absolutely not. It's not common for departments to email the results, they're not required to do so, and many are hesitant to do it. Wait for the letter, you're odds haven't changed.

Absolutely not. It's not common for departments to email the results, they're not required to do so, and many are hesitant to do it. Wait for the letter, you're odds haven't changed.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm not going to hold my breath like I did OGS a year ago, only to be let down.

I interpret that as an additional $15million to nserc, as a part of the $37mil increase to industry-academic partnership to all three councils.

Someone posted previously that the PDF budget alone is the ball park of $15-16mill per year...

so maybe thats good news for the industry types? the rest must be about the same as years previous.

The PDF budget USED to be in that ballpark. It's about half that now, at best. I saw that while NSERC got a 15 million increase, 12 million of that is earmarked for the Colleges and Community Innovation Program, whatever that is.

College and Community Innovation Program, CCIP.

CCIP supports collaboration between colleges and industry on research
and development projects that focus on company needs, helping firms to
become more innovative and productive.

your friend in montreal?

I haven't heard anything interesting regarding nserc and montreal

Thanks. Which school do you go to and did you win?

UBC, no word yet.  That said, I applied directly so I don't expect to hear from them.

Edited by |||

I never thought I'd say this, but I hate Fridays! If we don't hear today, then we have to wait a whole weekend, and maybe more :(.

I think that next week is a good time to start stalking the mailman, lol.

I never thought I'd say this, but I hate Fridays! If we don't hear today, then we have to wait a whole weekend, and maybe more :(.

I think that next week is a good time to start stalking the mailman, lol.

Couldn't agree more!:)