NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

I never thought I'd say this, but I hate Fridays! If we don't hear today, then we have to wait a whole weekend, and maybe more :(.

I think that next week is a good time to start stalking the mailman, lol.

Couldn't agree more! :)

Haha I've been through all of this, don't get too excited yet. I started freaking out checking the mail everyday around this time last year and didn't end up finding out the results until around April 11th. It does sound like they should be a little earlier this time around though, I think last year was really late.

I figure I should let those at Waterloo know that the results have been sent to the departments. I just heard from my department (Geography) that I got PGS-D3.

Edited by TarentCreel

I probably could not make it this year. I am the CS department, one of my friends who is in the ECE department already heard from her department this morning about her CGS-M success, that means results are sent to the departments. I did not hear anything so far from my department. I hope all of you best of luck on your result! :( 

I was told that my Department has nothing, and even if they did, NSERC asks them not to report. I am at McGill. If your departments follow this, you will be mail-waiting!

I was told that my Department has nothing, and even if they did, NSERC asks them not to report. I am at McGill. If your departments follow this, you will be mail-waiting!

McGill seems to be very secretive about these things. Both last year and this year, I asked a few different people, and they all said that they didn't have any information. Given that so many universities already know the results and tell students, there must be someone at McGill who knows, but aren't telling. I guess that this is their policy.

Last year, one of them contacted me again later to tell me my result... but it was one week after I received my letter :P.

I figure I should let those at Waterloo know that the results have been sent to the departments. I just heard from my department (Geography) that I got PGS-D3.

I can confirm that Waterloo has the results. My supervisor dropped by my office yesterday morning to let me know.

I can confirm that Waterloo has the results. My supervisor dropped by my office yesterday morning to let me know.

The department head of my current university (Western Canada) yesterday told me that the result will be available at any time soon (within the next 7 days). I will let you know how my application goes this year; I am very positive (though) that this year my application will be successful.

People who get CGS-PGS scholarships, do not realize (until they graduate) that there is an additional money (e.g., 15K per year from NSERC and 25 K from BC Government per year) that could come from both NSERC and provincial governments, if they try to partner with industry during their graduate study (smart way to do research! in the present context): Your approx. salary = 21K (PGS-D3)+15K NSERC topup+25 K BC Govt Top Up=61K per year for upto 4 years. But I never tried to get additional information about these external funding (instead I spent quite a large amount of time doing fundamental research, and off course made  significant contributions; published high quality manuscripts in the Journal of Applied Physics, IEEE, Elsevier science, to name a few.  One thing is sure, your supervisor will not let this opportunity know you (I mean partnering with industry), unless you try yourself. And, believe me its easy, once you have money in your head.

In any event, I will let you know how my PDF application goes this year. Good luck to everyone.  And, please share your experience as well.

Edited by winter2012

Hi,

I am applying for a PGSD  through a Canadian University and my school forwarded my application to NSERC agency

my status now is "Received", I think my status should be "approved"? anybody has an idea

my status now is "Received", I think my status should be "approved"?

Lol, did you receive notification from anyone at your department that you were awarded an nserc scholarship? Either way, the online status will never say approved, only 'in progress' once you take up the award.

By the way, what university do you go to?

Hi,

I am applying for a PGSD  through a Canadian University and my school forwarded my application to NSERC agency

my status now is "Received", I think my status should be "approved"? anybody has an idea

Received means NSERC received your forwarded application from your school.  Your status won't change until you get your letter and formally accept the award.

Lol, did you receive notification from anyone at your department that you were awarded an nserc scholarship? Either way, the online status will never say approved, only 'in progress' once you take up the award.

By the way, what university do you go to?

Are you sure that your status " in progress" ? thats weired, as I know ,this status appears only befor online submission

I am at McGil, still waiting the results

NSERC website says:

Form 201 PGS applicants applying through a Canadian University

1. Select Verify to ensure your application is complete (status will appear as Completed).
  2. Submit your application to your institution for approval (status will appear as Submitted). This action is the equivalent of you signing the application. Refer to Electronic Submission of Applications and What do the electronic or original signatures on the application mean?
  3. Your institution submits your application to NSERC for consideration (status will appear as Approved).

PGS and PDF applicants applying directly to NSERC

1. Select Verify to ensure your application is complete (status will appear as Completed).
  2. Select Submit to forward your application to NSERC (status will appear as Submitted). This action is the equivalent of you signing the application. Refer to Electronic Submission of Applications and What do the electronic or original signatures on the application mean?
  3. Once submitted and received by NSERC, the status will appear as Received.
Edited by solihat

Received means NSERC received your forwarded application from your school.  Your status won't change until you get your letter and formally accept the award.

thank you for your reponse.

What I mean is that your application will only go for "received"  or "submitted" to "in progress". There is nothing in between. Your status will change to "In progress" at the start of your award. Your status will not ever mention if you were rejected.

What I mean is that your application will only go for "received"  or "submitted" to "in progress". There is nothing in between. Your status will change to "In progress" at the start of your award. Your status will not ever mention if you were rejected.

Thx for the explanation

Your status will change to "In progress" at the start of your award.

Are you sure about this? I am in the middle of a CGS M right now and my application from last year still says "received."

In any case, it doesn't really matter. If your application status is "received," then you can be confident that your application has been seen by the people at NSERC.

As selecttext said, your status on the online system does not indicate whether or not you got an award. You have to either find out from your school/department, or wait for a letter.

Edited by jnoel12

Wow... I hesitate to post this because it's only anecdotal evidence, but Andrew Granville's comment at the bottom of this article says that someone at U de M with a perfect GPA was rejected by NSERC this year. (They might have had a crummy proposal of course, but what are the chances someone with a perfect GPA wouldn't put a decent amount of effort into their proposal?) I hope it's not as rough a year as that might seem to indicate. Good luck to everyone!