EPA Star Fellowship 2013

Alaudid

Did anyone else just an email from Brandon saying that the deadline had passed and they will give away your fellowship if you don't finish up the packet?  A bit disconcerting since I received confirmation that I handed everything in more than a week ago.

Ahhh.... giant, lumbering bureaucracies, a true joy to now be a cog in the system!

Mike

Hi Mike, I got one of those letters as well. I also was perplexed as I thought I had completely filled out the forms. I emailed Brandon immediately and just received an email back saying "We will check and let you know." Have you heard anything?

Hi I just received a notification earlier this week. I guess I was an alternate for someone who could not be funded.  

For those of you who already filled out the paperwork.  Brandon told me to mail my official transcripts and upload my unofficial transcripts.  What address did you mail your transcripts too?

memae:  Congrats!  This is the address we were given:

USEPA-ORD-NCER
2777 Crystal Drive (One Potomac Yard-South Building)
Room S-11323
Arlington, VA  22202

dbg6ydr:  I got the same response you did from Brandon and haven't heard anything else yet.

Mike

Hi I just received a notification earlier this week. I guess I was an alternate for someone who could not be funded.  

For those of you who already filled out the paperwork.  Brandon told me to mail my official transcripts and upload my unofficial transcripts.  What address did you mail your transcripts too?

Really? Crap. Since it said to upload your official transcript, I followed those instructions...

Didn't get an email about giving away the fellowship, but I did find the lack of a submit button (or clarification in the email) worrisome too.

Edited by Solanox

Anyone else get this?

AUTOMATIC NOTIFICATION-DO NOT REPLY: This e-mail was automatically generated to indicate that you have submitted your STAR New Start Fellowship questionnaire for review. If you have any questions, please contact your Project Officer.

I completed the whole survey and uploaded everything on time as far as I can tell. I just got that email notice of "AUTOMATIC NOTIFICATION-DO NOT REPLY" this morning which is weird since I submitted everything last week. I just looked at the checklist again and I noticed a new number at the bottom of the checklist that says 72 / 5. I wonder if it means anything

memae:  Congrats!  This is the address we were given:

USEPA-ORD-NCER

2777 Crystal Drive (One Potomac Yard-South Building)

Room S-11323

Arlington, VA  22202

dbg6ydr:  I got the same response you did from Brandon and haven't heard anything else yet.

Mike

Malonzo, I logged back into my application and received the same automatic email that some of the posters mentioned above. I forwarded this to Brandon who told me that it was now complete. Maybe see if it does the same for you when you sign in.

Same thing happened to me. I was concerned that no final notification was sent. If you all did not talk about this on here, I would not have logged back in to my account for it to generate the automatic email. I was concerned at first since I never received an email stating it was transmitted. 

Thank you all for commenting every time something new happens. It really does help for us all to navigate all of this paperwork. 

Edited by CCA-B2

Malonzo, I logged back into my application and received the same automatic email that some of the posters mentioned above. I forwarded this to Brandon who told me that it was now complete. Maybe see if it does the same for you when you sign in.

WTF?!?! That's all I have to say.  Thanks for the heads up. I revisited the checklist page and I too received the completion email. Hopefully that gets me off the shit list.

I just received the "Greetings 2013 STAR Fellowship selectees!" email, but I had no idea I had an award. Turns out I was honorable mention and a spot opened up. I got a fellowship... but the system never sent me a notification....

So, if you received that email and are like .....abrwwaaaaaa???? you should email Brandon ASAP

If anyone receives any info on what's going to be allowed for deferrals, please post it on here. I emailed Brandon twice in the last month and haven't heard a peep. Typically, they don't allow first years to defer, but given that they are treating this as our second year, I'm hoping they will be more flexible. Thanks all!

Does anyone know what happens next? Do we just wait . . . again? (Happy Summer!)

The initial award email from Brandon stated the following:

Once we receive all of your documents and the necessary information, we estimate that it will take an additional six to eight weeks from the time your information is received before any offer from GIAMD will be made, so do not be discouraged. If you will be unavailable to personally provide the follow-up information which GIAMD will request sometime in the June, July or August period, please email one of the following individuals:

Andre Porter – porter.andre@epa.gov

Brittany Gibau – gibau.brittany@epa.gov

So, we are definitely back in the waiting game for another 6-8 weeks from the original May 12th paperwork deadline... or, given the statement above, through the month of August.

Here's the latest e-mail.  If you're not getting these, then something's probably wrong with your application.  

Congrats to the 98! (And to those with deferrals, looks like it's possible to have your cake and eat it too.)

Greetings 2013 EPA STAR Fellowship selectees!!
1.    Thank you all for your work in submitting the necessary information and materials for the New Start Questionnaire. If you have not heard from us, that probably means all your information is entered correctly. No news is good news!

2.    For the first time in the history of the STAR Fellowship Program, we will be allowing first year deferrals. Many of you have asked about the possibility of first year deferrals and it is the Program’s stance to support you and your academic progress in ways that make sense and are allowable. Below is some information about deferrals:

-                The length of the deferrals can be up to 12 months.

-                The award must be accepted in order for first year deferrals to be an option. Once you receive your award paperwork (late summer), please accept the award so you are in the system and that way you will actually have an award to defer from. We will provide further information to those who are requesting a deferral.

-                Applicants need to let us know by (5/30/14) whether they intend to defer the first year or not. (Please email – Andre Porter at porter.andre@epa.gov)

3.    Over the next couple months (through July), you probably will not hear much from the Program. There are many steps and people in several offices who will be involved in the funding process of your cohort (98 new start STAR fellows). 98 actions takes a lot of effort, time and energy. Please be patient. We have some new processes in place that will hopefully reduce time to award.

Of course, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to email Andre Porter (porter.andre@epa.gov) or Brittany Gibau (Gibau.brittany@epa.gov).

Thank you!

Has anyone received clarification regarding the 5/30/14 deadline to let Andre Porter know about an intention to defer?

I wrote to ask if that meant the deadline had passed, and he replied 'no,' but didn't indicate what the deadline is.

Am I missing something?

Has anyone received clarification regarding the 5/30/14 deadline to let Andre Porter know about an intention to defer?

I wrote to ask if that meant the deadline had passed, and he replied 'no,' but didn't indicate what the deadline is.

Am I missing something?

This means to go ahead and let them know. The deadline may be such for rule purposes. Just go ahead an let them know asap if you would like to defer. 

• 4 weeks later...

When are we gonna hear something? Am getting nervous, already got a bill for fall semester.

From one of the more recent emails from Brandon Jones:

"Over the next couple months (through July), you probably will not hear much from the Program. There are many steps and people in several offices who will be involved in the funding process of your cohort (98 new start STAR fellows). 98 actions takes a lot of effort, time and energy. Please be patient. We have some new processes in place that will hopefully reduce time to award."

Hey gang,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm in the same boat that you all are, waiting for "official" word and a fellowship package. I thought I'd let you guys know that I received a call from a woman at the EPA in DC confirming my email address and my academic advisor's. She was brief but it seemed that packages are almost done being put together and that they will be scanned and emailed to us soon!

Hey gang,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm in the same boat that you all are, waiting for "official" word and a fellowship package. I thought I'd let you guys know that I received a call from a woman at the EPA in DC confirming my email address and my academic advisor's. She was brief but it seemed that packages are almost done being put together and that they will be scanned and emailed to us soon!

Thats true, I got the same response from Andre Porter. "Package will be scanned and emailed"