EPA Star Fellowship 2013

Alaudid

Brandon replied to my email so here is the latest. If you didn't get an email it is likely because there was something in the survey that flagged you as not eligible to continue. For me it was the "have you accepted federal funding" question, which I have for this school year. Even though I sent Brandon an email specifically to explain my answer, apparently that doesn't matter, they have only been going off of the survey. I don't know what that means and if we will still be considered, I have not received any sort of confirmation regarding the status of my application. However I would send him an email if your took the pre-fellowship survey, believe you are still eligible, and did not get an email today. It can't hurt. Why oh why did I have to be so honest on that survey! I will post if I hear back from Brandon regarding whether or not I am still in the running.

Brandon replied to my email so here is the latest. If you didn't get an email it is likely because there was something in the survey that flagged you as not eligible to continue. For me it was the "have you accepted federal funding" question, which I have for this school year. Even though I sent Brandon an email specifically to explain my answer, apparently that doesn't matter, they have only been going off of the survey. I don't know what that means and if we will still be considered, I have not received any sort of confirmation regarding the status of my application. However I would send him an email if your took the pre-fellowship survey, believe you are still eligible, and did not get an email today. It can't hurt. Why oh why did I have to be so honest on that survey! I will post if I hear back from Brandon regarding whether or not I am still in the running.

Well that makes sense. I too have accepted federal funding. I hope they still give us a disposition. It would be nice to at least know how we did even if they don't offer funding: an honorable mention or something you know?

P.S. Thanks to all of you who have been on the front lines of this thread for the past 2 years or so. Job well done!

What type of federal funding did you two get?

NSF GK-12. It is over in June so it would really be a bummer if taking that funding makes me ineligible for STAR.

I also got summer funding to go to Australia through the NSF EAPSI (East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes) program. If you have not applied for EAPSI you really should. It is such a great program and you get to be a PI on NSF funding! Some of the East Asia and Pacific host countries (like Taiwan and Singapore) get very few applicants so your chances are amazingly good for an NSF program. DO IT!

What type of federal funding did you two get?

I got the NSF GRFP. Luckily! It was my third year applying. I would not have taken the STAR, but I would still like to know how my application is reviewed. Perhaps this seems selfish, but I should have been hearing back about both of them at the same time, so I think it is fair. Assuming I was awarded the STAR, I would have been able to put awarded but declined on my CV.

I guess I just don't understand why we are not still in the loop about the status of the application regardless of other funding. We put an exorbitant amount of time into the process, and we still deserve to know. Not being awarded the STAR because we received other funding I understand, but that fact should be communicated.

On the plus side for the you guys, our ineligibility should boost your chances of an award.

I'm no longer eligible for funding, but I'm surprised to be excluded from the most recent email update.  I've waited so long to find out if my proposal was considered worthy of funding... after all the effort and waiting, I would like a conclusion of some sort.    

I've emailed Brandon requesting (once again) that they consider non-monetary awards to applicants who are no longer eligible but otherwise would have been awarded funding.  I believe successful applicants deserve recognition.  While certainly not as good as receiving actual funding, a non-monetary award would help to build a resume.

I encourage other non-eligible applicants to contact Brandon with similar requests if you agree.     

Edited by suttonp

I'm no longer eligible for funding, but I'm surprised to be excluded from the most recent email update.  I've waited so long to find out if my proposal was considered worthy of funding... after all the effort and waiting, I would like a conclusion of some sort.    

I've emailed Brandon requesting (once again) that they consider non-monetary awards to applicants who are no longer eligible but otherwise would have been awarded funding.  I believe successful applicants deserve recognition.  While certainly not as good as receiving actual funding, a non-monetary award would help to build a resume.

I encourage other non-eligible applicants to contact Brandon with similar requests if you agree.     

I don't think they will do that, as It would require them to go through the final selection process twice, which they have not done yet. I feel like they gave us the survey to expedite the selection process, by removing those who are no longer eligable to begin with. However, getting this round is an accomplishment in itself, so maybe they should recognize the very few that make it that far.

I agree, it appears right now that they are looking for the fastest/easiest solution to move forward.  That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, and I don't think they're doing it out of necessity.  They should complete the entire review process from where they left off, and make adjustments for the final monetary and non-monetary (i.e., recognition) awards as necessary.  I committed over 100 hours preparing my application, as I'm sure many of the remaining applicants did. To take a survey and then never hear from the EPA again after all our efforts would be disrespectful.  Don't be discouraged to speak up if you're in a similar situation, you deserve to be heard.  Contact Brandon and let him know your concerns.

I totally see where you are coming from @suttonp et al.  Still, the EPA (unlike the NSF)  do not traditionally offer non-monetary recognition. There is no history of "honorable mention" with the EPA STAR so I wouldn't expect them to budge on that, especially now that it seems like they are actually going to make monetary awards. I am sure that you can still receive your reviews from the external review process after all is said and done. 

I'd argue, though, that the EPA also does not traditionally wait 18 months to announce who got the fellowship, so it seems like an exception in this case would be more than reasonable. Getting your reviews is not the same as getting recognized in a way that can go on your CV...

Well, from another perspective, its not the EPA's fault that any of that happened. The sequester occured and they lost the funding without knowing if they would ever get it back. Personally I'm extremely greatful that instead of starting from scratch they chose to consider our applications and went through the trouble that that entails. I am still in the running, but even if I had been booted from the pool due to ineligability, I would feel the same way. Based on the EPA's current needs, its entirely possible I would have been picked then and maybe I won't now. That could be true for anyone that applied. How do you take that into consideration? Things happened that were beyond thier control and they are trying to make up for it. If they decide to do honorable mentions, great! if not, fine. Such is life. Onto the next one.

I should have mentioned I brought this idea of an honorable mention (non-monetary) award up with Brandon last year.  This was his response.

"Your suggestion is a good one.  It is something the EPA has never done before and would require some discussion as to how and potential impacts if any.  I will talk to my management about it..."

@ekpfeil, I think your perspective is very kind and humble, but you may be misunderstanding the nature of my original post.  I'm encouraging others to email Brandon to provide feedback, which can help to inform the EPA's decision process.  There is no need for debate - I have nothing to disagree about :)    

I am happy that peace is made.

As we continue to wait for a response let's remain uplifted. For all we know, it could be the reverse or no award for anyone!~~~That's just my skepticism~~

So, who wants to bet that we'll be waiting longer than the end of April?

As we continue to wait for a response let's remain uplifted. For all we know, it could be the reverse or no award for anyone!~~~That's just my skepticism~~

That's what I'm expecting but not what I'm hoping for.

I am going to stick by Brandon's words, he has been so vague and noncommittal about everything until this email, so for him to come and say something pretty firm, barring any foreseen circumstances, I think it is good. The only other time where we were told one date and it didn't come through was May 1st last year.

I am going to stick by Brandon's words, he has been so vague and noncommittal about everything until this email, so for him to come and say something pretty firm, barring any foreseen circumstances, I think it is good. The only other time where we were told one date and it didn't come through was May 1st last year.

I've learned that there are always "unforeseen consequences" when it comes to federal agencies. Again, I'm hopeful but not expectant.

I should have mentioned I brought this idea of an honorable mention (non-monetary) award up with Brandon last year.  This was his response.

"Your suggestion is a good one.  It is something the EPA has never done before and would require some discussion as to how and potential impacts if any.  I will talk to my management about it..."

@ekpfeil, I think your perspective is very kind and humble, but you may be misunderstanding the nature of my original post.  I'm encouraging others to email Brandon to provide feedback, which can help to inform the EPA's decision process.  There is no need for debate - I have nothing to disagree about  :)    

Oh no, no debate! Sorry if I came across as confrontational, twas not my intention. Based on the tone of some other comments,  I just wanted to express that I don't feel that bc of all this budget non-sense that the EPA  really owes us anything (as some have directed their frustrations toward the EPA). That is all. Of course it would be nice if they did some kind of honorable mention deal and I think it was cool that you sent that idea to Brandon. That would be wonderful, I hope they do!  :)  

Last full week of April. Chances are good that we'll hear something this week... fingers crossed!

Eeeep  :unsure:   I hope you're right. I wouldn't complain too much about that, though now I feel a bit queasy.....

I got the following response back from Brandon regarding honorable mentions:

"We plan to have decisions made by the end of this month for the new 2013 STAR Fellowships.  We are still considering the 'honorable mention' letter or some version of that as a new policy.  Still in the hands of the decision makers."

Does anyone know how decisions are typically communicated to applicants? In past years has it been by email, snail mail or phone? Thanks!

My adviser got one in 2005 via email.  But I was at a conference a few weeks ago and another graduate student in my panel said she received her offer by phone.  Hopefully, we will find out (encouraging) news soon.

Typically, those who are not selected for funding are notified via postal mail, and I've heard from recent recipients that they were notified of their award via telephone. On another note, in Brandon's last correspondence he said:

"...award decisions should be made by the end of this month (April 2014)."

To me, this suggests that while decisions are expected to be made by the end of the month, we may not hear the results of those decisions until a week or so after that. 

Haha, yeah that is so true that the decision could be made by the end of this month, but they could take a while to notify us.

Typically, those who are not selected for funding are notified via postal mail, and I've heard from recent recipients that they were notified of their award via telephone. On another note, in Brandon's last correspondence he said:

To me, this suggests that while decisions are expected to be made by the end of the month, we may not hear the results of those decisions until a week or so after that. 

That would just be cruel.