help again, this time concerning GRE scores

meow123

Hey guys! I am really grateful for the advices on phone interview, and I am ready to start applying!

Now I have another concern, namely my GRE scores.

I took the old GRE in 2010 and got V720 Q750 AW3.0. The AW score is really a bummer so I decide to take the test again this year.

And so I did this past Wednesday and I got V156 Q165 AW pending.

This time the verbal part becomes the bummer, though I have time to take the test again, I feel unlikely to do any better in the verbal section. I know over 80% of the vocab during the test but I just DID NOT understand the logic of the sentences and passages!!

Now is my question. Should I send in my 2010 score, explaining that I can in fact write but simply cannot adjust to ETS style? Or should I send the latest score, given I did better in AW and explain that I did not understand the logic?

I am taking the GRE again in Oct 3rd, but I just do not think I will do better.

Thanks!!!!

Hey guys! I am really grateful for the advices on phone interview, and I am ready to start applying!

Now I have another concern, namely my GRE scores.

I took the old GRE in 2010 and got V720 Q750 AW3.0. The AW score is really a bummer so I decide to take the test again this year.

And so I did this past Wednesday and I got V156 Q165 AW pending.

This time the verbal part becomes the bummer, though I have time to take the test again, I feel unlikely to do any better in the verbal section. I know over 80% of the vocab during the test but I just DID NOT understand the logic of the sentences and passages!!

Now is my question. Should I send in my 2010 score, explaining that I can in fact write but simply cannot adjust to ETS style? Or should I send the latest score, given I did better in AW and explain that I did not understand the logic?

I am taking the GRE again in Oct 3rd, but I just do not think I will do better.

Thanks!!!!

Neither. I don't know what percentile a 3.0 is, but I have heard that the AW score really doesn't matter. If you want, send in a writing sample that you feel better reflects your writing abilities. Do not explain any of the things you mentioned, you are just planting ideas in their heads that they probably otherwise wouldn't even have. Also, as an aside, I like how you're discrediting the GRE in some ways (not being able to adjust to their style...?) for the AW and verbal, but seems to perfectly accept the ETS' (positive) assignment of your math skills.

If you want, send in a writing sample that you feel better reflects your writing abilities.

This would be your statement of interests, which should be perfect.

Also, as an aside, I like how you're discrediting the GRE in some ways (not being able to adjust to their style...?) for the AW and verbal, but seems to perfectly accept the ETS' (positive) assignment of your math skills.

^^lol <3 Ditto et al. 2003

Edited by lewin00

Neither. I don't know what percentile a 3.0 is, but I have heard that the AW score really doesn't matter. If you want, send in a writing sample that you feel better reflects your writing abilities. Do not explain any of the things you mentioned, you are just planting ideas in their heads that they probably otherwise wouldn't even have. Also, as an aside, I like how you're discrediting the GRE in some ways (not being able to adjust to their style...?) for the AW and verbal, but seems to perfectly accept the ETS' (positive) assignment of your math skills.

LOL about the math part...I do want to compain about it...the new quant part is more like a gifted-children math competition than a real "math" test...the 10th digit of 2007^2007? I am quite glad that I had a little such training when I was a kid, thanks to my dad.

Here's how ets suggests adcomms read the score.

Interpretation of the Results

As the group reviews the results, you might want to ask such questions as:

To what extent does the group show consensus in their ratings? You should look at the

number of ratings in both the “Slightly Agree” and the “Strongly Agree” columns as an

indicator of agreement.

How should we interpret the GRE-AW score levels in relation to the analytical writing

demands of the program? In considering how to use GRE-AW scores as part of an

applicant’s profile, faculty might decide, for example, that an applicant with a GRE-AW

score of:

1 or 2: could have great difficulty meeting the writing requirements of the program, especially

if no other reliable indicator of writing ability is available

3: could have some difficulty meeting the writing requirements, but faculty would be

prepared to give the student extra help in the normal course of instruction

4: is likely to have little or no difficulty meeting the writing requirements

5 or 6: is highly likely to meet the writing requirements. Performance at this high level

could strongly outweigh other information about the student’s academic preparedness.

How should we factor these scores into the process of deciding whether or not to admit

certain students? In considering how to use GRE-AW scores, faculty should be aware that the

GRE Program recommends that admissions decisions be based on multiple pieces of

information.

It is especially important during the first few years of using GRE-AW scores

that you not exclude students whose GRE-AW scores are less than optimal. Until you have

had a few years’ experience examining the relationship between GRE-AW scores and

graduate students’ performance in your program, it is better to be more, rather than less,

inclusive so you will not close the door to students who may prove capable of meeting the

writing demands of your program.

The results of this exercise should provide you with a sense of the levels of score points on the

scale that you might consider acceptable in the early phase of adopting the GRE Analytical

Writing Measure. Eventually, faculty will want to base their judgments on their own experience

with students and with other measures of student performance to determine how best to use

GRE-AW scores.

When discussions have concluded, the activity is completed. You can, of course, repeat the

exercise, using alternative questions as the basis for ratings.

source: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/987217.pdf

I don't think the AW scores are that important. Some schools use formulas using GRE quantitative, GRE verbal and GPA to figure out "cut-off" scores. If you make it above this score they actually look through your application, read statements and recommendations, etc. I don't think AW factors into these formulas. I think if you have a score that's around the average for the schools you're looking at it should be fine.

Also, many of my professors have told me that if you submit multiple scores they look at your best scores for each section. So they would look at your verbal and quantitative from test 1 and AW from test 2. Of course, this varies from school to school :)