Good advisor vs. Good topic

SymmetryOfImperfection

I narrowed my advisor search down to 2 people.

1 is a good advisor (nice, patient, talks with students, doesn't breathe down their necks). Also said that probably can graduate on time if I work hard, and has a track record of getting students out; one guy works in industry, only does 4 hours per day at night, yet still got out with a MS in 3 years. But the topic itself has low funding so I have to TA. Also, the subject is hard to understand and I need a month to read up on it.

Other has a good topic but has a tough reputation and seems to not really like me during the interview and I have no idea why. He specifically said though that he has funding for me to do research. Also said that I might not graduate on time if I worked for him. I already know much about the subject and it is pretty easy to understand for me.

How important is advisor temperment?

Edited by SymmetryOfImperfection

Good advisor, hands down.

Especially for a MS.

But even for a PhD, I'd say a good advisor trumps a good topic.

This is, of course, using the criteria you provided- if instead of just not having funding it's a relatively dead topic, or won't lead to publications, etc. then things change.

Good advisor, hands down.

Especially for a MS.

But even for a PhD, I'd say a good advisor trumps a good topic.

This is, of course, using the criteria you provided- if instead of just not having funding it's a relatively dead topic, or won't lead to publications, etc. then things change.

Thank you.

there's many publications related to this in Arxiv, but they're mostly theoretical/computational, not too many experiments. I think I can publish *something* though.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately.

I have someone who I consider to be an excellent adviser, but dislike my topic.

Being a good adviser and open to my thoughts, they will let me shift gears after I wrap up my current project.

But I've already spent a good chunk of time on something I'm not super excited about and actually find somewhat unpleasant (I suspect fieldwork location is not such an issue for a physics student), and will have to spend a good while longer to get it to a good stopping point.

So I suppose for me, although I'm very grateful for my adviser, it would sure be nice if I hadn't gotten sucked into this particular topic. I do think the most important thing is your adviser, but be willing to talk to them from the get-go about alternative projects you are thinking about if you aren't jazzed about what what they want you to do--you will do better work if you are excited about it, in my opinion.

I had to make this decision a few months ago (over 3 potential advisors) and picked the one I felt the most comfortable. At that time, I went with my gut, and picked him even if the topic wasn't so awesome at the time. Since then, we've grinded out a new project, because he's been very understanding, and now I can't be any happier (so far..).

• 1 month later...