TA for Politically Opinionated Professor

plato435

I am a second year PhD student and am currently working as a discussion leader. Part of my responsibility is to attend the large lecture sections. The lead instructor for the course makes it clear which way she leans politically. While I do not personally disagree with her perspectives, I can tell it makes some students angry or uncomfortable. I do not feel that the lecture hall is the right forum for the lead instructor to communicate her views, political or otherwise. And being an election year, the subject of politics is already highly charged.

I am not sure what to do. I think that her comments will be brought up in the discussion sections, but am not sure how or if to respond. It is my belief that the classroom can challenge deeply held beliefs in implicit ways, but should be an overtly value neutral setting.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, how have you handled it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

How do you make the classroom "an overtly value neutral setting"? Do you imply to students that letting the hungry die is okay because to say otherwise would be an expression of values? Here's what I would do. If someone brings it up, say that politics and the professor's political views aren't on the agenda because you're there to discuss X, Y, and Z topics. And point out to them that X, Y, and Z will be covered on the exams and that if they get sidetracked in the conversation, they're making learning the material more difficult on themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on the field or subject. Do the prof's viewpoints directly relate to the material at hand? (For example, is she trying to relate an issue in history to current events, or is this just coming seemingly out of nowhere?)

If this is a class where politics are important to understanding the field, are the students prepared for having these discussions? I was a women's studies major as an undergrad, and, while most of the professors in introductory and lower-level courses did an excellent job of explaining that political and social perspectives were vital to understanding the class material, some did not. It could be that this is something to gently suggest to the professor as a possible matter to address in lecture.

• 3 months later...

I think it depends on the field or subject. Do the prof's viewpoints directly relate to the material at hand? (For example, is she trying to relate an issue in history to current events, or is this just coming seemingly out of nowhere?)

This is a really good point. If it is relevant to the class it can be a very good thing to do, and could probably lead to some really good discussions. Of course, that also depends on how well it's handled. Particularly ham-fisted attempts will probably alienate students just as effectively as an unprompted 20 minute political tirade.

One thing you could do as a discussion leader is attempt to put any political comments made into a historical context related to the subject material being discussed. If you feel the instructor isn't giving adequate/respectful coverage to viewpoints other than her own, you could attempt to broach these in the discussion section. Tread lightly, though, some people react poorly to having their opinions critically examined.

• 4 weeks later...

To some extent I think its a great thing to have a different political perspective in the class, even if it is a bit rigid - if nothing else then to experience that side and that kind of person.

I had a political science class where the professor walked in, turned to the students and declared "I'm here to offset the liberal professors and liberal establishment of the university, that is my primary role here", our reading list included Ann Coulter and Bill O'reilly.

I didn't love it, but, at least it forced me to try and understand that viewpoint of things.

• 4 months later...

I always sort of felt like there was merit in the professor getting their leanings out in the open, early.  Not to use as a bludgeon, but so the students know where they're coming from.  Obvioulsy subject matters - none of this should apply to a calc 1 professor.  But I had a poli sci double-major in undergrad, and at least two of my professors were very open early on about their beliefs.  Most of the others tried to keep the neutral facad up.  Both seemed equally viable to me, depending on the personality of the professor.

I always sort of felt like there was merit in the professor getting their leanings out in the open, early.  Not to use as a bludgeon, but so the students know where they're coming from.  Obvioulsy subject matters - none of this should apply to a calc 1 professor.  But I had a poli sci double-major in undergrad, and at least two of my professors were very open early on about their beliefs.  Most of the others tried to keep the neutral facad up.  Both seemed equally viable to me, depending on the personality of the professor.

Yeah, I actually like when they make their views explicit, because then you don't have to guess. And if you share their views, you can relate with them. If you don't share their views, that creates the opportunity for intelligent debate, which is good. The value-neutral professor is like a fucking robot, just coldly reporting the facts and pretending not to have an opinion.