How to Open the SoP

Anyone have some good, inventive (but not glib) ways to open? Any recommendations? Should I start out 'inventive' or simple and formulaic? I'm asking for both the salutation and the first sentence or two.

As for the salutation, I'm sure I don't want to start, "To Whom it May Concern." That's dull and old hat. What about, "To the Admissions Committee at X"? How far should I push the 'inventiveness'? "To my future colleagues"?

Then to open, what do you think? Simple and to the point?

"My name is Aaron X, and I am writing to request your consideration for admission to the X program."

Or a little more personable, but still on point:

"I hope this letter finds you well today [or something like that]. My name is Aaron X and I am writing to you today to court your consideration for the X program."

Or more 'poetic' and inspiring?

"My father once said..."

"Renee Descartes was a man who..." or whatever.

I've read articles that disagree on the 'floweriness' of the SoI. "Leave Dr. Seuss Out of It" was a great one, but then countered by another article that pointed out that this is your only chance to stand out among 500 other applicants.

Sooooo... whadya think? Any good ideas or references that contain ideas?

Thanks.

I second the "no salutations necessary" advice. I think, really, the SOP has to be what works for you, as you were correct that there is conflicting advice from everyone. I have a friend who is finishing his dissertation, and I was complaining about getting all of this conflicting information on how to write my SOP, and he simply told me "Don't crowdsource your SOP." And, he's right. Everyone has different circumstances, and a format that works for one person might not work for another. I also think it's somewhat program-specific... like, maybe a humanities program has more tolerance for or expectation of creativity than a sciences program. I think it's all so subjective, it's impossible to say there is any "right" way to do it.

That said, my opening was creative and didn't just launch right into discussing my qualifications and basic research interests. I introduced my research interests in a creative way without using the cliche "Ever since I did X as a child, I have wanted to be X." I think that's the format you want to avoid. A creative intro that pertains to the topic is a good way to start, if you can make it work for you. Mine starts out with a bit of a discussion on a factoid that relates to my research interests and my background in the subject. I am switching disciplines/careers, so the focus on my progression is a bit more important for my SOP than it would be for someone who has a strong background in their discipline. I will add that one of my LOR writers has reviewed my SOP and loves it (now, after many revisions, ha). She said you want something that adcomms will want to keep reading.

I am kind of led by advice I read from two professors. One said that he likes to "learn something" when he reads an SOP... which is what sparked my idea to lead with my little factoid (it's about a specific regional practice). Another said that you shouldn't try to educate him on his own field... because he's an expert, and you're not.

Basically, just sell yourself in the best way that you can. Have a professor (or multiple professors) look over it and give you feedback. I'm so glad I had someone who has read hundreds of SOPs look over mine because it was incredibly helpful to get that kind of perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really good stuff, amlobo. No surprise; your advice usually is. Would you mind sending me your opening sentences as an example? I'm sure we're going for different programs, but it's all about the 'format and formula'... I'd like to see how what you said above manifested itself.

That's really good stuff, amlobo. No surprise; your advice usually is. Would you mind sending me your opening sentences as an example? I'm sure we're going for different programs, but it's all about the 'format and formula'... I'd like to see how what you said above manifested itself.

Thanks! I try to be helpful if I can :) I'll PM you.