MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Hi Loren26, I would potentially suggest emailing Charlotte Lombardo (Program Director for MPH Health Promotion).  I emailed her last week and she replied the next day telling me I was wait listed, then I received an official email from Sandra Lang yesterday, confirming that I was wait listed and that there were "at least 15 people ranked ahead of me".

I'm sure she'd reply and let you know of your status.  Hope that helps!

Does your application status still say 'under review'?

Does your application status still say 'under review'?

Yes it does still say "under review" ... and I have a feeling it will for a while :( 

Can anyone who was accepted at U of T (Health Promotion) tell us when you have to accept your offer by?

My letter (telling me I was wait listed), said that they will know who has rejected / accepted their offers by the end of May .. which seems so far away !!

Has anyone not heard anything back from U of A?

They seem to want forever in order to make up their mind on whom to pick. They seem a funny bunch to me. This doesn't weigh in on their already soured reputation, in my opinion

Good morning all, I'm late to join this forum but I've been reading it for a couple months.

It has been nerve wracking and anxiety inducing to say the least!

U of A (health promotion distance) sent me an email on March 25th and put me on a wait list, then they emailed me yesterday to tell me that ALL of the spots had been filled and unfortunately there is no space for me.

I have heard absolutely nothing from U of T and that's worrisome - especially since I've been reading that some of you have gotten invites to an open house :( My online status still says Under Review.  But it also seems like several of you are also in the same boat as me.

Best of luck to everyone, keep us all updated, and Congratulations to everyone who's off to the MPH programs in the fall! :)

Hi,

I also received the same letter yesterday morning  :( . What I don't understand is how can U of A say that all the spaces for Health promotion are taken and confirmed, when there is so many people still that have not even heard from them... 

Good luck with the rest of your applications! I wish you the best! :)

Edited by lbmph

Hi,

I also received the same letter yesterday morning  :( . What I don't understand is how can U of A say that all the spaces for Health promotion are taken and confirmed, when there is so many people still that have not even heard from them... 

Good luck with the rest of your applications! I wish you the best! :)

Re U of A and the spaces already taken and confirmed, that doesn't bode well for those of us who haven't heard anything - I guess it means we have been rejected, and they just haven't sent out the letters yet?

I emailed U of T admin (the dlsph email and charlotte lombardo as well and was told that my application is still being considered. The email was by Sandra Tang. Not really sure what that means! If charlotte doesnt reply to you @Loren26, maybe try emailing the admin people and they can give you some insight. 

Hi Guys,

I am also anxiously waiting on U of A. I haven't heard from them yet and beartracks still says "decision pending". Does anyone know if their global health concentration is filled? Are the rest of us just waiting for rejections to be mailed out at the end of April? 

Also, waiting on U of T for health promotion, but it seems like the people they wanted have all been contacted as well?

Thanks and good luck!

Hi - Have you been accepted into the Waterloo MPH Program? I have been wait listed and trying to guage how many applicants are on a wait list with myself.

This is just based on my personal experience. I applied to Waterloo MPH last year and was waitlisted. There were 40 applicants on the list and I believe I was 17th. I kept on waiting to see if the list would have moved but after calling the Coordinator a couple of times, I knew there wasn't a chance I would get in since there was no movement because most people accepted. Hopefully it will be different for you this time around!

Hey guys, I got accepted to McGill, U of S, and am waitlisted for Queen's. Anyone else hear back from U of T Health Promo yet? It's also my first choice like the many of you here!

Hey guys, I got accepted to McGill, U of S, and am waitlisted for Queen's. Anyone else hear back from U of T Health Promo yet? It's also my first choice like the many of you here!

Hi there, how/ when were you informed that you have been waitlisted for Queens?

I emailed U of T admin (the dlsph email and charlotte lombardo as well and was told that my application is still being considered. The email was by Sandra Tang. Not really sure what that means! If charlotte doesnt reply to you @Loren26, maybe try emailing the admin people and they can give you some insight. 

Thank you very much, will do!!

This is just based on my personal experience. I applied to Waterloo MPH last year and was waitlisted. There were 40 applicants on the list and I believe I was 17th. I kept on waiting to see if the list would have moved but after calling the Coordinator a couple of times, I knew there wasn't a chance I would get in since there was no movement because most people accepted. Hopefully it will be different for you this time around!

Thank you for your insight! I appreciate it. When I called to inquire about my status and was notified I had been placed on the wait list, they would not tell me how many people are on it and where I stand. Hoping for the best and thanks again!

Hi there, how/ when were you informed that you have been waitlisted for Queens?

Hello,

Although I am not the individual your question was directed at, I was also wait listed for Queen's and I found out on April 10th by email.  

"Your application to the Master of Public Health program at Queen's University has been reviewed,  and you have been placed on the program waiting list. Our first round of offers have been sent out and the response deadline for those offers is April 30. Beginning May 1, if necessary, a second round of offers will be made to those on our waiting list and offers will continue to be sent out until a full cohort has been formed. Please note that you will be notified whether your application has been successful or not.  If you would like your name removed from the waiting list at any point, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Gerri Lyman" 

Hope this helps. 

Still waiting on SFU; @ this time, any news would be better news...I hate the silence! I am already talking to Univ. of Liverpool...anyone know s'thing about their program? What about Univ. of New England?  :unsure:

Still waiting on SFU; @ this time, any news would be better news...I hate the silence! I am already talking to Univ. of Liverpool...anyone know s'thing about their program? What about Univ. of New England?  :unsure:

Hey UTH90, I'm glad that their is atleast one other person in the SFU waiting boat with me.

I don't know anything about Liverpool's program, but I did get accepted to the University of Edinburgh for their MPH program (and I have accepted their offer since still nothing from SFU)

I don't know if you are looking for a specifically for a distance program , but Edinburgh's program looks pretty great, although it is done on campus and not by distance. Its a 12 month program, a large variety of course offerings and small class sizes. They are really great at getting back to you with any questions you may have and the university is ranked in the top 30 in the world. The application deadline isn't until 31-May-2013 so I say check it out.

Have any of you who were accepted to U of T heard back about the OGS (assuming you applied)? I've heard that some other departments at U of T sent out notices to successful OGS applicants a while ago, but I haven't heard anything about it from Dalla Lana.

Have any of you who were accepted to U of T heard back about the OGS (assuming you applied)? I've heard that some other departments at U of T sent out notices to successful OGS applicants a while ago, but I haven't heard anything about it from Dalla Lana.

I asked U of T about this a while ago.. Charlotte Lombardo told me that we won't know about OGS until about June.  Sucks !

(This is for Health Promotion at least .. not sure if the other streams are different)

still waiting here as well

Hi,

I am currently on the wait list for Guelph's MPH. They received 250 applications for fall 2013 and are in the process of sending out their first round of offers. I received this information by emailing the department and simply asking about the status of my application. Initially I contacted Trudi the grad secretary, but she is out of office and all MPH application questions are to be directed to Rebecca Knaggs at rknaggs@uoguelph.ca . She was very kind and quick to reply (same morning). If you are in a time crunch like I am (Lakehead is expecting an answer by Monday) go ahead and shoot her a message to know where you're at. Good luck.

Is there anyone who got accepted to U of T's Health Promotion MPH that will be rejecting the offer?  I am on the wait list, and feel like most people who get into U of T are likely accepting?

I may try to defer or re-apply next year. I interviewed for an amazing job at a unique HIV clinic here in Winnipeg. The job is under the Health Promotion/Outreach program at the clinic, so I'm not sure I could say no to the job if I got it! I will find out in less than 2 weeks :)

I may try to defer or re-apply next year. I interviewed for an amazing job at a unique HIV clinic here in Winnipeg. The job is under the Health Promotion/Outreach program at the clinic, so I'm not sure I could say no to the job if I got it! I will find out in less than 2 weeks :)

Just an FYI, Toronto's MPH does not do deferrals.

Hey UTH90, I'm glad that their is atleast one other person in the SFU waiting boat with me.

I don't know anything about Liverpool's program, but I did get accepted to the University of Edinburgh for their MPH program (and I have accepted their offer since still nothing from SFU)

I don't know if you are looking for a specifically for a distance program , but Edinburgh's program looks pretty great, although it is done on campus and not by distance. Its a 12 month program, a large variety of course offerings and small class sizes. They are really great at getting back to you with any questions you may have and the university is ranked in the top 30 in the world. The application deadline isn't until 31-May-2013 so I say check it out.

Kmila, You just made my day! Congrats on your acceptance to Edinburg!! Its a great program, and coincidentally, i have been lurking around their website for awhile now! Trouble is my personal commitments do not allow me to spend a year away at this time :( ... But I contemplate doing that for a Masters in Medical Anthropology (UK or the Netherlands) soon after I acquire an MPH! They have 1 year programs, and I like that, esp. that I am in my 40s and still looking to tackle a PhD! S'times I am tempted to go for the LSHTM Global Health Policy online, but I am obsessed with the MPH title for some reason( there MPH content is not a good fit for me); though I am aiming at doing my own small project in the Sub-Sahara (born & bred there!) and at doing lots of Independent writing/speaking/community research to pursue my advocacy ambitions through commentary on Health equity/ global health politics, I just think an MPH could expand my horizons due its recognizability, may be land me some great name org. job someday, Lol ; What do you think about MPH vs MSc? I have many years of adult medical/ surgical nursing, long term care & clinical teaching experience in 2 African countries and North America, and also thinking about  an academic career as I grow older :D.. I am hoping to move from clinical to public health nursing soon, and it would be wonderful to do that as I pursue my public health grad. degree! I love what I am learning about Liverpool online so far & cd consider applying there...it can be done in 18 months....still hunting for more online one year programs...time is of the essence for me, the sooner the better! 

Best Wishes to you, really nice find there!!!