Mention the fact that I started college at 15?

I want to casually mention that I started college when I was 15 since people seem to be "impressed" by that in real life. In reality, I am not a genius child—I am just dedicated. However, I have read some "tips" online saying that I should not mention age to avoid discrimination. I think that this would not lead to discrimination. On the contrary, I think it would benefit but I may be wrong.

What do YOU think? Should I or should I not?

I wouldn't mention it unless someone asks in conversation about your age. It sounds like this isn't what you want to hear, but here is my reasoning:

You may be a perfectly normal person, but many of those who interact with "running start" or "high school in college" types in an academic setting are leery of these students. It is not unusual that they missed out on a more familiar social progression and can be awkward to interact with and difficult to incorporate into normal academic and recreational activities. This perception is very important to the faculty that may be teaching you, the adviser that will be mentoring you, and the other students that you would be working with and are eying you as a member of their peer group. So I view your age as more of an obstacle to be overcome than an asset, and I'd wait until you are in interviews to disclose your age if necessary (when you can't hide it, and/or can show that despite your age and academic trajectory you are a socially well adjusted person).

I have a peer who followed the trajectory you just described (college at 15, then straight to grad school), so clearly he was admitted, but he plays his age very close to the chest and seems happier and more included for it. Actually, I'll send him an e-mail right now and ask him to get on here and give his thoughts, you'd probably find them more useful.

Edited by Usmivka

I'd be wary about your age. It looks like you're pursuing clinical psychology and that means you'll probably start seeing clients in your second year. Age and maturity is big factor in clinical psych since you're responsible for other's well-being. Readiness and maturity definitely comes up during interviews and I can imagine your age being counted against you. Student who come out of undergrad in my program have to fight a little harder to prove they're ready for grad school and most of them are 22 years old.

However, it's not an absolute no. Get some great letters of rec that demonstrate you ability and readiness for grad school and I think that can go a long way. If you do get interviews, make sure you plan out an answer addressing your age since someone's probably going to ask, especially if you look young.

I agree with Usmivka. I have talked to advisers in various fields who often actually prefer slightly older grad students who have more maturity and life experience. Not to say that you don't have these things, it might just be how some PIs view a younger applicant. I too have a friend who started college at 15 and, like Usmivka's peer, brought up her age as little as possible during the grad app process.

Then it seems that it is best if I do not mention my age.

As far as experience goes, I am already working as a counselor at a psychiatric unit (doing individual and group therapy) since I graduated last fall as well as had paid RA positions in the past. Indeed, however, I've always been socially awkward with people in my age group but is simply because we have much more different goals. I definitely do not look young as I actually always get that I look older than my age... I do not think it'll be brought up because of the way I look.

Thanks for your input! It really helped a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I am so happy that someone else is in my position! I am also applying to graduate programs in psychology, and I, too, began college as a full-time student at 15 years old. I have been debating whether or not I should mention this in my SOP. In one aspect, I don't want to seem immature and unqualified; however, because of my age, my interest in the field has been a huge part in my development. I also feel that it has increased my awareness on how to engage with people who experience life differently than I do.

So, I feel you. Good luck, either way! =]

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is probably too late to help OP, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else comes here looking for advice.  I was 19 when I graduated college, and I've generally found that keeping my age to myself is a good thing. Now that I am older and applying for grad school, mentioning it is neutral, but it was definitely not in my favor in my first few years out of school.

I also started college early, and didn't mention it in my SOP, but one of my LORs actually mentioned my unusually young age. I made sure that my profs comment on my "maturity" in the LORs, and my age wasn't the focus at all, but I have definitely been discriminated against for my age more than once. I am from a country where finishing HS early is a lot more unusual than in the US though, and you have to put your birthdate on your CV, so everyone will see it. Many people, however, just skim the CV and don't quite catch it consciously (or they think I put it down wrong...).

Now, being in grad school, I did what I did in my undergrad. When people asked me, I was forthright about my age (i.e. didn't lie), but I also don't talk about it by myself. Seems to be working pretty well, because by the time it comes up, they already have an image of me that won't be drastically revised just because I am younger. However, there is the occasional joke at my expense because of my age, but usually not in a mean way!