FQRSC 2013

raise cain

So, I *think* I am eligible for

FQRSC this year.

I got a Quebec Health Card and I paid QC taxes, even though I came here to be a full time PhD student.

There is little info on the web, and it is confusing. Not to mention most of it is in French and Google Translate is not so good with precise instructions.

I am attending a workshop in a few days. Any Anglophones applying, or have applied? Any tips. The application seems so confusing, especially in relation to SSHRC and OGS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi am interested how did you get the Quebec health care card. You must have parents that were born in Quebec, right?

Or perhaps you worked a year before entering into your studies? That's really the hardest part. Getting the card. After that the application

from what I remember is about the same as the CRSH with the difference that the letters of recommendation are online, maybe the whole application is

I can't remember. 

But you need the card. Which you can't get unless you have successfully jumped through the Quebec citizenship b.s. I was told that it would never happened for me. I'm at a francophone institution.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a quebec health card by applying, it was super easy.

I come from Ontario and got one within a few months of being here. I arrived as a PhD student.

Would you mind elaborating on the process for me? In my experience its not as easy as simply applying.

The régie has the applications and I have had interviews trying to get one. Even though I have lived in the

province full time for two years, I am still considered as a "student and any other person from another province

who are in Quebec temporarily". They ask me what are you doing in the province. I say I'm a student. They say you

are covered by your province. End of discussion. Would you mind letting me know how you got the application? Is there

an office at Concordia that helps students from out of province get the card. 

results are coming soon ... http://www.fqrsc.gouv.qc.ca/fr/resultats-concours/resultats-concours.php

Also, from my understanding you either have to live in Quebec for 1 year as a part time student (this is what I did) or work full time  to become a resident.... maybe things have changed, I did this about 7 years ago.

Things unfortunately have not changed. It is a no go for full time students. That's why I would like to

know how it was so easy for Raise Cain. I know there are a ton of loop holes. And I am sure that if you

had some one to guide you in the process you can get through. It involves renouncing your provincial citoyennité(!?!)

(I never knew we had provincial citoyennités until I moved to Quebec) and forcing Quebec to pick you up. 

But that must take a coordinated effort to jump through that red tape. Screws out of province grad students though..

Good luck in the competition.

I have heard of this student status being a deterrent  but I was told by my graduate department to apply for a quebec citizenship asap when I moved here so that I will be eligible for fqrsc (and other provincial stuff), or else I would only be eligible for SSHRC. My friends in other departments that are PhDs were also told this (we all moved in 2011 for the start of our PhD). Like I mentioned, I applied with proof of residence (my lease), a photo, and received a card in the mail valid 3 months after I moved to the province. No interviews, no anything else. I even received a temp card the day I applied because I needed to get some tests done. My friends did also. No red tape, hoops, etc. I know perhaps it seems difficult to conceive that there was nothing more to it than that. I know I am fully a QC resident because I even filed QC income tax last year. So many benefits!

I do know however that many of my friends from McGill, etc. have been living here as grad students but not QC residents.

Cheers.

Edited by raise cain

Was wondering if anyone has heard anything yet from FQRSC (particularly I am curious about the PhD awards)... Also does anyone know what day of the week they were released last year? I am getting so anxious that I am having funding nightmares already!!! Just want to know the answer already!!

Got a response today. I am over the moon. My first time applying for FQRSC but my third time applying for a external doctoral award. My undergrad grades were very low so I am not surprised on my score.

I also completely changed my fqrsc/sshrc statement 7 days before the deadline because I had an epiphany concerning what I want to do.

Here are some details for you folks:

Was ranked 5th out of 18 in my category.

Comite : 06B Concours : B2 Groupe : 1 Bourse de : Doctorat

Dossier
universitaire
 4.733 / 6

Aptitude et experience en
recherche
(6 pts)

5.617 /6

Qualite et interet
scientifique
du projet de recherche
(8 pts)

7.4 / 8

17.75 /20

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Congrats caffeinated!!! I just got my results and was offered an award as well!!!!! :)

So relieved!!

CONGRATS! YAY!!!!!!!

We have 10 days to accept or decline so I hope SSHRC results are out soon.

Could you post your rankings for us to know?

Thanks 

I just got my notification today and I didn't receive an award. Out of 18 applicants in my discipline, they gave out 5 awards - and I ranked 6th. I guess this is good news? I think my SSHRC application was a lot stronger, so I'm staying hopeful. Here's my score:

Comite : 06B Concours : B2 Groupe : 1 Bourse de : Doctorat

Dossier universitaire (6 pts): 5.117

Aptitude et experience en recherce (6 pts): 5.113

Qualite et interest scientifique du projet du recherche (8 pts): 7.15

TOTAL (20 pts): 17.4

My lack of publications probably kept my research experience marks down a bit - I'm finishing my MA right now and plan to begin publishing next year. I'm happy being ranked first on the waiting list, though, and it seems like a good score? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for SSHRC...

Good luck, everyone!

P.S. - Congrats, wanttheanswernow and raisecain!

Edited by wrenochka

Wrenochka: it looks like we are in the same category. What is your object of inquiry?

And being first on a waitlist is great news. I'm sure you will get it. 

From their PSA:

Au total, ce sont 801 demandes au doctorat qui ont été examinées par les comités d’évaluation. Les 
demandes sont recommandées dans une proportion de 95 %. Parmi les candidats 
recommandés, 240 étudiants au doctorat reçoivent aujourd’hui une offre de la part du Fonds.

The odds of getting an FQRSC are much lower than getting a SSHRC then....

CONGRATS! YAY!!!!!!!

Thanks 

Thanks! And sure I will post my rankings :)

Comite : 08A Concours : B2 Groupe : 1 Bourse de : Doctorat

Dossier universitaire (6 pts) 5.117

Aptitude et experience en recherche (6 pts) 5.16

Qualite et interet scientifique du projet de recherche (8 pts) 6.467

Total (20pts)16.74

ranked 7 out of 26 that applied in my category... (not sure how many they gave out in total though)

CONGRATS! YAY!!!!!!!

Thanks 

I am also waiting on SSHRC... What do we do if SSHRC doesn't come out before 10 days is up? Once you accept FQRSC, are you locked in to that even if you are offered a SSHRC?????

Got my notification today too!  Very excited.  I was a direct applicant for SSHRC and didn't get past the first round so I was a little worried.  I was particularly worried because of my low undergraduate GPA.  I am fairly certain you will hear back from SSHRC before the end of the 10 day period, FQRSC is well aware that candidates are awaiting SSHRC.  If not that, then you must be able to decline after accepting, I haven't looked through the guide available through your dossier boursier, but I am sure the info is there.

Good luck to those still waiting!!

Comite : 10D Concours : B2 Groupe : 1 Bourse de : Doctorat

Dossier universitaire (6 pts) 4.5

Aptitude et experience en recherche (6 pts) 5.333

Qualite et interet scientifique du projet de recherche (8 pts) 7.25

Total (20 pts) 17.08

I was ranked 4/25