Any parents out there? Did you start grad school with young children or have them while there?

Femme Pedagogy

I am a single Mom with a 12 year old daughter and the only way I was able to go back to school and pursue my Masters is by doing it online. I have NO social life but am almost finishing my degree, working 30 hrs a week as a Registered Nurse, and still being a good parent  :rolleyes:. Next step is my DNP but plan to take a year off of school. You can do it! I am a single Mom with a 12 year old daughter and the only way I was able to go back to school and pursue my Masters is by doing it online. I have NO social life but am almost finishing my degree, working 30 hrs a week as a Registered Nurse, and still being a good paren. Next step is my DNP but plan to take a year off of school. You can do it! 

I entered a second master's program at a top five program (I.e. highly competitive) in IR when my child was still an infant as a single parent. During the course of the program my child joined me as I interned internationally and participated in a semester long exchange with another program. I graduated on time and with a decent gpa 3.65. So ladies, you can do anything you set your mind to. It wasn't easy, but I made a decision early on to prioritize my child above everything else, so while everyone else bonded through partying, we bonded through parenting. I missed out on a great deal of the social networking, which has its own benefit, but I don't regret the decision. I really believe that the reason things worked out for us as well as they did is because a wealthy international student in my program brought her nanny with her and offered to share her with me. Being able to drop my child off whenever I needed to enable me to attend classes and study groups and spend time in the library without guilt or worry. Quality childcare was definitely the lynch pin that helped me hold it all together. You may also find that the people in your program LOVE LOVE LOVE children (or at least they did in my program) and offer to babysit whenever needed. The experience can also greatly benefit your child(ren). My child's nanny spoke another language exclusively and she understands that Language as well as English. I've already been admitted to two doctoral programs, so we're off on next adventure.

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread! ANy parents out there who had to relocate and deal with child custody issues?

Also I do want to have a second child in the future and would like to hear from people when would be the best time- going for MA then PHD....and getting older, so need to plan ahead:)

Since my program is only 10 months, my hubby and I decided i would go alone (leaving him and my 5 year old very far away). Does anyone have any creative ideas to keep us in touch and close besides the obvious telephone/webcam!

Brave, brave souls you all are!

Our kids were toddlers when we went back to school. We took our time with undergrad and had lots of support. Never missed a parent teacher conference or school performance or organized party at school. BUT, I remember feeling totally innundated with laundry all the time. And often the time set aside for reading or writing was diverted to a sick child leading to me pulling all nighters and working on half a brain the next day or two or three depending on what was happening.

Took a few years off to work before we did our masters. Yes it was hard working full time, going to school and being a parent. Again, never missed a parent-teacher conference or school performance, etc. Our girls were in later elementary and middle school. I totally believe that they are wonderful students now because they saw us as students then.

My spouse is very satisfied with the MFA, I wanted to go on to PhD. But, two teenage girls, teenagers in general, need almost as much attention as infants, and as much emotionally. I just chose, and it was my choice, to not give partial attention to either my girls or my studies.

My oldest daughter will be graduating next year from the honors college at Florida State and applying to grad schools in the fall. My yougest daughter will be off to Smith in the fall, graduating at the top of her high school class this year. So far no drug addictions or pregnancies that I'm aware of. I can go on and on about their accomplishments. They are fabulous young women now.

I know of other people who made different choices about parenting and school. The only thing I would have done differently is what I tell my kids now: it is much easier to get it right the first time. Also some opportunities only come along when you're young.