PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

So did we determine that your buddy was mistaken? Cause onoma got thrown under the bus...(not by you, but all the same)

My buddy is sticking to his story, so I'm as confused as ever. As for someone lashing out at Onoma, I hardly think I bear any culpability for that as you seem to imply. Besides, the theology notifications that came today fit the timetable I was given exactly. It is possible then that there was a communication breakdown between my buddy and the prof, or that interview notifications are still coming. Who knows. I certainly didn't accuse anyone of anything, and I, in fact, urged caution.

I've got a question to anyone with knowledge of interview weekends in general or at Notre Dame specifically:  is it standard practice that the entire department has one big interview weekend with all the applicants from every subfield visiting at once, or can there be separate interview weekends for separate subfields?  I ask just because I was curious if one could take the February 22-23 interview weekend for the Moral Theology applicants as an indication that the other fields would have their interview requests out in time for that weekend too.  Not that this matters since the odds of actually securing one of those precious, precious interviews is so slim, but inquiring minds want to know.

And congrats to all those who got interviews there and elsewhere.  I have been completely neglecting looking for Notre Dame results.  Totally forgot it would be under 'Theology' instead of 'Religion' or 'Religious Studies.'  Oops...

congratulations!  i haven't heard anything :(

no need to congratulate me. I didn't get an invitation. I was talking about Ubi charitas' invitation. I asked him/her about it, but then searched the results page and saw that both of my questions were answered in her/his submission. 

Here's hoping there are more invites coming.

Notre Dame holds all their interviews on the same weekend (unless they do it drastically differently than they have the past couple years).

Thanks for the answer.  Guess I'll be awaiting news on that front sometime in the near future, then.  It is a bit less nerve-wracking with schools like Notre Dame and the Ivy Leagues where I never actually expected to get in, though.  Just applied because why not?  It never hurts to try, and someone has to get in, after all.  A rejection is what is expected, and if it is anything else...well, that will be a glorious day.

Dear friends, this reminded me of this thread:

http://wheninacademia.tumblr.com/post/41372832631/when-i-hear-how-many-other-applicants-there-are-for-the

I think it's good wisdom, actually! Heads high!

Haha, that's fantastic.  And you're right, probably some truth in that too.

Dear friends, this reminded me of this thread:

http://wheninacademia.tumblr.com/post/41372832631/when-i-hear-how-many-other-applicants-there-are-for-the

I think it's good wisdom, actually! Heads high!

This brought a rare smile to my face during this time of high anxiety.

Thank you for this! 

It is good wisdom, and also reason #918723923763 to stop compulsively clicking the "Results Search" tab. 

congrats!  ubi charitas can you say who emailed you?  what are the odds they are sending out a few more emails?  or rejections?  

and...

I've got a question to anyone with knowledge of interview weekends in general or at Notre Dame specifically:  is it standard practice that the entire department has one big interview weekend with all the applicants from every subfield visiting at once, or can there be separate interview weekends for separate subfields?  I ask just because I was curious if one could take the February 22-23 interview weekend for the Moral Theology applicants as an indication that the other fields would have their interview requests out in time for that weekend too.  Not that this matters since the odds of actually securing one of those precious, precious interviews is so slim, but inquiring minds want to know.

And congrats to all those who got interviews there and elsewhere.  I have been completely neglecting looking for Notre Dame results.  Totally forgot it would be under 'Theology' instead of 'Religion' or 'Religious Studies.'  Oops...

Well, the invitation was signed by Joseph Wawrykow, but the actual email was sent by the administrative staff. It also felt very "form letter"-ish, and the wording definitely suggested that this was the prospective student weekend for the department. Now, as to whether they sent all the invites out at once (or any rejections), I have no idea. The first sentence stated, "The faculty in the Department of Theology has completed its initial review of applications to our doctoral program." It also stated that they're inviting twice as many people as can be offered admission to the program.

Thanks for the congratulations. This is quite the pleasant surprise!

Well, the invitation was signed by Joseph Wawrykow, but the actual email was sent by the administrative staff. It also felt very "form letter"-ish, and the wording definitely suggested that this was the prospective student weekend for the department. Now, as to whether they sent all the invites out at once (or any rejections), I have no idea. The first sentence stated, "The faculty in the Department of Theology has completed its initial review of applications to our doctoral program." It also stated that they're inviting twice as many people as can be offered admission to the program.

1. There is one interview weekend. I'm not in the theo department proper and have no knowledge of any subfield splits.

2. Those are (slightly) better odds than in previous years! Good luck, Ubi caritas!

Just to second (or third) what has been said:

There will be one interview weekend for everyone. You will show up and have a little information meeting about the dept. You will go on interviews throughout the day (the number will vary between subfields and persons) and you will eat lunch. This is a true interview weekend in that the department invites more people than it will accept (so don't think of it as a wine-and-dine weekend as it is at some other institutions). You'll go to dinner that night, then over to the Jesuit house for a big party with the other interviewees and some professors. The next day is more information, tours around campus, and flying back out.  I'm happy to answer specific questions about the weekend if people want to message me. 

I see there's a Yale American Religion interview posted on the Results forum. Anyone wants to claim it? Either way, congratulations!

Any word on how Yale goes about interviews? Does the entire department have a single interview weekend regardless of discipline, or are there different interview times? There is not much information about interviews available from past results. 

Any word on how Yale goes about interviews? Does the entire department have a single interview weekend regardless of discipline, or are there different interview times? There is not much information about interviews available from past results. 

Its just via Skype and is apparently very short. Yale requires all departments to do interviews for PhD programs, and I believe that the religious studies department isn't super happy about that. 

Its just via Skype and is apparently very short. Yale requires all departments to do interviews for PhD programs, and I believe that the religious studies department isn't super happy about that. 

Thanks! That's helpful to know! Are you the one who posted the interview at Yale in the results page today? If so, Congratulations!

Another Notre Dame interview here (Christianity and Judaism in Antiquity)!  I'm borderline in shock.  Did not see this coming...

And news appears to be coming out of Yale and Texas today too.  Big day.  I wasn't expecting to get anything at Yale (like Notre Dame!), but I have/had pretty high hopes for Texas.  I really wish that one person told us their subfield.  I'll hold out hope until proven otherwise.

I asked a student from another department and it seems that the interview doesn't sound so "selective". According to her, faculty members would call you only if they would like to offer you a spot, and want to figure out whether Yale is your first choice. It doesn't sound like interviewing five to pick two, things like that. But I could be wrong. 

Lualoo, I believe the interviews are on Feb. 12-13.  I was looking on the VDS room reservation calendar yesterday and they had Graduate Department of Religion/Theology and Practice interviews noted for those days.  Also, based on the same calendar the graduate admissions and policy committee meets this Friday (the 25th).  I have no idea if that's when they actually make decisions.  (I imagine that's already in the works.)  But, last year I know a couple of folks reported on Jan 13th that they'd gotten interview invites that day, and that's the same day the graduate admission committee met that year.  That could just be a coincidence, though.

Wow, this was a really astute prediction. I just got an email (on the 25th, as guessed) for an interview to the Vanderbilt Theology and Practice program. And close, interviews are February 11th and 12th, it said.

"We plan to interview finalists on campus February 11-12. Finalists need to arrive by Monday, February 11, at 3:00 p.m. and may depart on Wednesday morning. I will send a complete schedule of events in the next few days."

I asked a student from another department and it seems that the interview doesn't sound so "selective". According to her, faculty members would call you only if they would like to offer you a spot, and want to figure out whether Yale is your first choice. It doesn't sound like interviewing five to pick two, things like that. But I could be wrong. 

This makes sense. The committee would rather just select their candidates based on application materials, but the university requires all programs to have interviews with perspective candidates. So, the Skype interview is just a formality, to fulfill the official requirement. 

Congratulations to the three people who've been invited to interview at Yale. Although, one of you deserves a bop on the head for not listing your subfield.