PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Grad cafe has already burned me twice this application season. In both cases I heard about people getting interviews (in one case even in my subfield) to programs I was highly interested in... and the next day (after much soul searching), I too was graced with an interview invite. Sometimes I wonder if we're not part of some grand, sinister psychological experiment designed to see how we react to stress...

I am reading a lot of posts about the Duke Ph.D. program, but I haven't seen anything about the Th.D. program.  Does anyone have some information about where they are in the review process.

Also, what about the Emory Ethics and Society program?  Any news on that front.  I haven't seen anything to indicate that interview requests have gone out in that area.

I have a applied to Duke Th.D./Ph.D., Emory, UVA and SMU.

I am reading a lot of posts about the Duke Ph.D. program, but I haven't seen anything about the Th.D. program.  Does anyone have some information about where they are in the review process.

They should be sending out notifications by mid-February. Duke ThD doesn't do interviews, thus the relatively quick turnaround.

They should be sending out notifications by mid-February. Duke ThD doesn't do interviews, thus the relatively quick turnaround.

Apparently faster than that. According to the results search, someone has been accepted into Duke's ThD program already. 

It seems really early to be hearing from them, since the deadline was only Jan 15. 

Anyway, congratulations to the person who was made an offer, and thanks for listing your concentration. 

Edited by HazelMotes

I asked a student from another department and it seems that the interview doesn't sound so "selective". According to her, faculty members would call you only if they would like to offer you a spot, and want to figure out whether Yale is your first choice. It doesn't sound like interviewing five to pick two, things like that. But I could be wrong. 

The interviews at Yale Religious Studies most definitely are selective, at least in NT and Early Christianity. They send out more interviews than they have spots (given that there is usually only one spot for each). 

Edited by diazalon

University of Notre Dame press just sent me an ad for their new releases. 

I about had a heart attack when the notification popped up in the upper corner of my screen and I saw who it was from. 

I suppose that you could say I'm a bit on edge. 

any more news on the ThD admits at Duke?

any more news on the ThD admits at Duke?

I can confirm that nobody has been admitted to Duke ThD yet. That post on the results page prompted me to ask a professor about it, and he said that nobody has been admitted. The faculty have until the 31st to submit their recommendations, and the admissions committee hasn't even met yet. That posting is bogus.

I saw that they kind of changed their result and put PhD at the end of it, so perhaps they were just admitted to Duke U?

The GPR hasn't conducted interviews yet, so that isn't possible. It's a troll, I'd bet.

I'm not sure what to make of that UVa admittance. I'm here now, and was told that the admissions committee doesn't officially meet until early-mid February. Perhaps it's unofficial correspondence from a POI?

I'm in the same boat. Not saying the UVA acceptance can't be true, but it would be the earliest acceptance posting for UVA in the archive of gradcafe's results (7+ years) by about a week. Anyone want to claim it?

I'm not seeing the acceptance notification for UVa in the results search. Was it taken down? Or am I missing something? It certainly seems odd that someone would post an acceptance this early for the above mentioned reasons along with Endless Ashley's insight as someone who is already at UVa. Until I hear more, I'm assuming [read: longing] this was a mistake of some kind and UVa is still waiting to decide [read: on me]. All joking aside, UVa looks to be a fantastic program and if someone did already get accepted congrats, but for today at least I'm keeping hope alive.

I'm not seeing the acceptance notification for UVa in the results search. Was it taken down? Or am I missing something?

It certainly seems odd that someone would post an acceptance this early for the above mentioned reasons along with Endless Ashley's insight as someone who is already at UVa. Until I hear more, I'm assuming [read: longing] this was a mistake of some kind and UVa is still waiting to decide [read: on me]. All joking aside, UVa looks to be a fantastic program and if someone did already get accepted congrats, but for today at least I'm keeping hope alive.

It's still up. search for: religi*

it's listed as "Religious studies" instead of "religion"

Yes, the Virginia entry seems a bit odd all alone and so early.  Same goes for the UT interview last week.  Don't know what to think about either one of them.  Also frustrating that we continue to get no subfield on several of the postings, although that does allow me to just always tell myself it's someone in another area...

Anyone here get an interview with Yale in Ancient Christianity?  Or happen to know if Ancient Christianity interview requests went out along with the others (American, NT) last Friday?  Not holding out much hope there anyways, but just thought I'd check and see.

Yes, the Virginia entry seems a bit odd all alone and so early.  Same goes for the UT interview last week.  Don't know what to think about either one of them.  Also frustrating that we continue to get no subfield on several of the postings, although that does allow me to just always tell myself it's someone in another area...

Anyone here get an interview with Yale in Ancient Christianity?  Or happen to know if Ancient Christianity interview requests went out along with the others (American, NT) last Friday?  Not holding out much hope there anyways, but just thought I'd check and see.

I'm not sure about Yale for the AC program, but I have seen absolutely nothing yet on their Religious Ethics program. It appears that the departmental decisions are not all being made at the same time so you might still be in the clear!

Stay hopeful! (Said the pot to the kettle....)   :)

Edited by crackthesky

Just FYI for those interested in ethics/environmental ethics: it was just announced today that Willis Jenkins has accepted a position at UVa, and will be leaving new haven for charlottesville next year.

Yes. Technically, they don't create the wait list until after interview weekend, but I'm supposed to let them know if I accept an offer somewhere else so it sounded like a wait list email to me.