PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

Thank you!

Is it from the POI or the school? I'm applying to the OT program but I guess both belong to the "Bible" concentration. I haven't heard anything from them yet so perhaps I don't have much chance now.

This was from the director of the Bible program, but he wasn't my POI.

Just FYI - the UVa admissions committee met for the first time on Friday, and 3 offers were sent. They are admitting 11 PhDs this year, and their next meeting will be Valentine's Day. 

Thanks for the inside scoop!  Nice to have some actual dates and numbers.  At least that's one school I don't have to fret over for a week or two.

In other news, I picked up my phone today and saw that I had a missed call from a non-local number I'd never seen before.  And they left a voicemail!  Listen to the message...only to find out that it was a wrong number.  Not cool, fate.  Not cool.  I don't deserve to be tricked like that right now.

There is a lot of conversation about UVA, admissions decisions and writing samples.  I visited back in November, and before that visit I sent a copy of my MA thesis to all of the people that I wanted to work with in the TEC program.  While I was there, several of the faculty I spoke with asked me if I had set up a meeting with Charles Marsh because my research lines up closely with his work.  I told them that I had tried to get in touch with him via email and phone for over two months, but that I had no success.  One prof suggested that I go and knock on the door of the Bonhoeffer house where he lives.  I took her advice, and actually caught him at home.  We had a nice thirty minute chat, and he told me that I should just plan to get rejected because getting in is almost impossible.

Well, I received an email from Dr. Marsh in the middle of last week.  It was very short and to the point.  He wrote, "I hope that you are doing well in the new year.  I wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed reading your thesis.  A lot to talk about!"  That is about as cryptic as it gets.  What in the world does the exclamation point mean?  I was wondering if he sent that to me as a sympathy email to let me know that I should expect a rejection letter sometime soon.   Or if he was giving me a hint to let me know that the committee had given me the thumbs up, and that I would get to spend the next five years talking about my work with him. 

I'm just glad to know that final decisions haven't been made yet!

I have a question about interviews and visits.  I have noticed that some folks have received interviews and/ or phone calls from emory and uva.  I was wondering, will programs call candidates who have recently visited the schools and talked with both the director of the program and poi's.  I visited uva, emory, duke, and smu back in november.  Anyone have an thoughts?  I am especially interested in Emory, since i know that they have sent out some invitations to their interview weekend.

I have a question about interviews and visits.  I have noticed that some folks have received interviews and/ or phone calls from emory and uva.  I was wondering, will programs call candidates who have recently visited the schools and talked with both the director of the program and poi's.  I visited uva, emory, duke, and smu back in november.  Anyone have an thoughts?  I am especially interested in Emory, since i know that they have sent out some invitations to their interview weekend.

I'm not sure. But Yale said (a different department though) they will not call or interview those who have visited recently. 

Emory definitely calls candidates for their interview weekend regardless of any previous campus visits.  I think people have been admitted without attending the interview weekend, but it's usually related to wait list luck.  

Does anyone have more information on Yale? I only see a couple of results on the results search and none of them are in theology. Does anyone know if the different sub-disciplines send out interviews/offers at different times?

I know this may not be the proper place for this question, but I am going to ask for you all's opinion here anyway.

I was asked in the last week to give a couple lectures for two different upper-division Bible courses at a local university. My question is whether or not I should send programs an updated CV that would reflect these lectures. A little over a month ago I sent a few programs an updated CV because I had a paper accepted to a regional conference and had a paper published that was previously forthcoming. At that point, the application deadlines had not been reached, so I felt justified in doing so.

Thoughts? Would it be beneficial? Or would I just be being a nuisance to the secretaries?  

I know this may not be the proper place for this question, but I am going to ask for you all's opinion here anyway.

I was asked in the last week to give a couple lectures for two different upper-division Bible courses at a local university. My question is whether or not I should send programs an updated CV that would reflect these lectures. A little over a month ago I sent a few programs an updated CV because I had a paper accepted to a regional conference and had a paper published that was previously forthcoming. At that point, the application deadlines had not been reached, so I felt justified in doing so.

Thoughts? Would it be beneficial? Or would I just be being a nuisance to the secretaries?  

Like you said, I think it mostly depends on whether the application deadlines for your respective programs has already passed. If so, I would probably avoid the urge to send an updated CV as it would be inconvenience to the department (and, imo, it might cause the department to re-question the original strength of your CV). You don't want to raise an unnecessary red-flag at this point in the game.

Edited by Norman G

I don't have any experience or inside knowledge about this sort of thing, but I personally would probably not send in an updated CV just for a few lectures.  I don't think that would have a sizable impact on your admissions decision.  Probably better to not create waves and make things more difficult for them at this point.  But like I said, just an opinion.  I doubt it would hurt much either if you did send it in.

Count me as a part of the UNC bloodbath today.  I forgot to put my subfield on my result post, but I was Ancient Mediterranean Religions.  Not too surprising since we already knew about the first round of acceptances and their visit weekend, but still never fun to be officially rejected.

Edited by bondsdw

I wouldn't. While that sort of information is perfect for any CV, it's still going to pale a bit in comparison to some of the people you're (likely) up against who already have full courses on their CVs. I think it's not worth the risk, as adding it now might make your file stick out, and not necessarily in a good way at this point.

I'm curious what you all think (and have done) about adding courses to your CV? I have seen certain people do it, but there doesn't seem to be any real reason, given that they are on your transcripts. Or am I missing something? I see the need to list all your language experience in a concise/easy way for adcoms to give a quick glance, but not necessarily the reason for listing all your graduate courses.