PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

I'm just hoping I can restock my liquor cabinet before my next rejection comes through. I'm down to less than one bottle of Bourbon.

You should come over on Saturday. Brandon and I are bottling my Ph.D. Pale Ale. Unfortunately it'll be another week or two before that's ready, but I've got some other non-homebrews knocking around, too, that we might partake in.

We're also going to watch Prometheus and pretend that God isn't (and admission committees aren't) capricious and brutal. It's going to be great.

Does anyone know anything about Drew at all, for that matter? How many people they accept, if they give stipends? The website is a little cagey about that.

Can't speak for acceptance numbers, but can say that historically they cover tuition but do not offer a stipend of any sort, which for me is a complete deal breaker.

Does anyone know when UChicago and Yale will be rolling out their acceptances? Based on the last few years, it won't be until the end of February, but I was curious to know if anyone had insider info.

For Yale at least, the committees have to submit their acceptances to the graduate school on February 22 and the acceptances/rejections should be out on March 1. Also, their stipend is the highest at $31,000 and some change... but cost of living is incredibly steep, so I think it evens out with the other top tier schools. 

Thanks for the info, this is quite helpful. I assume you are also applying, but in systematics? I guess it doesn't matter if there are six spots. Still, I would imagine that they have to diversify their acceptances to balance the teaching loads. It make me feel like I have less competetion, even if it's not true. In related news I got a call from a Dallas area code this afternoon and my heart stopped. I only saw the call after I missed it. No voicemail. Assuming it was probably a telemarketer I called back just few minutes later to be sure. I was greeted by a female voice, "Religious Studies Department." Hoping for the best I stammered, "Yes, I just received a call from this number. My name is . . ." "Ah yes. I was calling to see if you could send your writing sample because we didn't have it for the committee meeting today. But, then I found it and placed it in your file." I didn't know what to say. "Oh, . . . so there is no need for me to resend it?" "No everythign is fine. Thank you." "Thank you. (?)" END CALL I learned that SMU is meeting to make decisions and I would assume we can see some results this week based on results from years past. Does this information look good for me, neutral, or bad??? I'm obsessing over it so I thought you all could join me.

I know how it feels to get a call that you think is from the school you applied to.  I live in Dallas, so I get Dallas calls all the time.  That is not nearly as bad as the call that I received from Durham NC last week.  I had just left a meeting at 1:50 on friday.  I NEVER get calls from Durham, and my caller ID indicated that someone was calling from the university to tell me that I was the best candidate they had ever seen, and that they had admitted me.  WRONG!  Blue Cross Blue Shield was calling to sell me some insurance.  Are you kidding me!

I applied to the Religion and Culture track at SMU.  I don't know that they get a lot of applicants in that area.  

Do you know whether or not SMU send invitations out via phone, email, or snail mail?  It looks like they have used snail mail in the past.

I know how it feels to get a call that you think is from the school you applied to.  I live in Dallas, so I get Dallas calls all the time.  That is not nearly as bad as the call that I received from Durham NC last week.  I had just left a meeting at 1:50 on friday.  I NEVER get calls from Durham, and my caller ID indicated that someone was calling from the university to tell me that I was the best candidate they had ever seen, and that they had admitted me.  WRONG!  Blue Cross Blue Shield was calling to sell me some insurance.  Are you kidding me!   I applied to the Religion and Culture track at SMU.  I don't know that they get a lot of applicants in that area.     Do you know whether or not SMU send invitations out via phone, email, or snail mail?  It looks like they have used snail mail in the past.
That is brutal. Last year I got a call from a central Indiana area code and I was sure it was Notre Dame because, while I live in central Illinois, I never get calls from Indiana numbers. It turned out to be one of the undergraduate students where I teach adjunct calling about an assignment. Talk about a disappointment. I got an e-mail from one of my recommenders today informing me that SMU inquired about his recommendation. I think that's probably a good sign, shows that they are looking into me at least. Regarding SMU's notifications, I have no idea how they operate other than what is listed in the results forum. It looks like they have used snail mail in years past as well as phone calls and e-mail. Still, the most common form of notification appears to be old fashioned post . . . We've got to know by the end of the week right? Next week at the latest.

Was just notified via email that I've been accepted to Boston College PhD (Biblical Studies track)!

...was a bit odd that this was done via email rather than phone, skype, or snail mail. Looks like I'll have some serious choices to make pretty soon.

Edited by 11Q13

Was just notified via email that I've been accepted to Boston College PhD (Biblical Studies track)!

...was a bit odd that this was done via email rather than phone, skype, or snail mail. Looks like I'll have some serious choices to make pretty soon.

congrats!  i just received an email that I've been put on a very short wait list.  :)  here's praying and here's to some serious discernment for all of us!

ok who is claiming the other acceptance?

I can claim one of the acceptances in theological ethics from BC! Received an email yesterday around noon but didn't want to post until after the holiday.

Congrats on the wait list! Pulling for you!