PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

This mother-fucker is a fucking troll. I emailed Baylor and asked if they had made decisions--to which they responded that they had not. This guy is full of shit.

Becoming words from a Div student.  Not sure what kind of enjoyment you think that would bring me.  I posted because I appreciated when people announced their interviews at Emory and Duke, which I did not get.

Recognizing that everyone's nerves are frayed due to the stress of waiting to hear responses from schools (responses that will have huge impacts on our lives), perhaps it is best to retain some semblance of calm. Grad cafe is great when it seems to give us accurate info and allows us to connect with people in similar positions. Grad cafe is problematic when we receive what appear to be conflicting pieces of information, causing us undue anxiety and stress.

Let's remember that it is still January, quite early in the admissions process. Let us also remember that nothing is official regarding our applications until we hear it from the schools themselves. I know we would all like to know ASAP the status of our applications and where we have been accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. But that is not how this game works... Think of Jan-April as training for future grant proposals and job searches in religion (or job searches outside academia). Good luck to all.

I just heard from Baylor. I was invited to interview during their preview weekend in February. 

It's a happy day. 

I posted my results, but I mistyped my GRE scores (for some reason they reversed the order on results submission form). 

My actual scores were: V: 167 Q: 153 W: 5.0

I just heard from Baylor. I was invited to interview during their preview weekend in February. 

It's a happy day. 

I posted my results, but I mistyped my GRE scores (for some reason they reversed the order on results submission form). 

!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jesus

You're not serious, right? Someone calls you out for being a caustic butthole on the internet (and does so with more grace than you deserve--you might learn a bit about this in div school), and you respond with even more buttholery? Come on, man. Let's all be friends.

It's a happy day. 

congrats!  you have much better GRE scores than me!

Congratulations to all who received Baylor invites! I was pretty hopeful about my Baylor application--I had some cordial meetings at SBL and my interests have significant overlap with three of the NT professors there. Alas, no e-mail in my inbox. Does anyone have any idea approximately how many interviews they send out per subfield?

I don't know what to believe. Onoma has been posting here a long time, but my buddy denies his timetable is possible. So something is amiss, whatever it may be. 

So did we determine that your buddy was mistaken? Cause onoma got thrown under the bus...(not by you, but all the same)

Edited by belichick

I'm curious, since you were at Harvard, is there any real advantage/disadvantage of applying to say HDS over, for instance, NELC? I see that a lot of the same faculty has appointments in all of these departments....but I'm a bit confused on which one to apply to? I'm mostly interested in working with Saley and Teeter, FWIW. 

best

Faculty is effectively identical. Money is virtually identical, with the exception that FAS has a couple more perks like a cheaper gym membership. For Hebrew Bible NELC would probably be your best shot, since if you're applying through the Committee or Div School you're competing with all the applicants for all religions and periods and are much more into post-this or that studies. Then again, the ThD, with the same coursework, requirements, funding and professors tends to get fewer applicants because it says "ThD." Rule of thumb, apply to all of them.

...like I said, mostly a bureaucratic mess.

Just got an invite to Notre Dame's interview weekend!

congrats!  ubi charitas can you say who emailed you?  what are the odds they are sending out a few more emails?  or rejections?